The next Mantle API game is Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Scorpus

Staff member

AMD has scored another win for their Mantle API, with upcoming title Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth to support it alongside DirectX 11. Previous Civilization titles, such as Civilization V, were reasonably CPU intensive, so the reduced CPU overhead and lower-level features of Mantle should help gamers run the game on entry-level hardware including AMD's own APUs.

Civilization: Beyond Earth is being developed by strategy game masters Firaxis Games, and looks like it makes use of a proprietary game engine similar to past titles from the company. How much performance can be gained from using Mantle in this title is unknown, but strategy games seem particularly well equipped to benefit from the API.

The game itself features familiar turn-based mechanics, and gives you the ability to explore space to colonize alien planets. You'll find yourself up against the environment and aliens native to the planets, before other humans eventually make planet fall, resulting in fresh and interesting gameplay that expands on what the Civilization series has offered in the past.

Beyond Earth will launch on all three PC platforms - Windows, Mac and Linux - in the fall of 2014, which is sometime between September and November for those of you outside North America. You can watch the game's trailer below.

Permalink to story.

It's good that they are using the tools available to make the game faster. Too few devs do that anyway. But what I am wondering is why Civ 5 was so goddamn slow in the first place.

What on earth is happening underneath the engine and UI that requires that much CPU power. The previous Civs did not need a super-powerful CPU and it is not like Civ 5 has ground-breaking AI.

Civ 5 is creating a matrix for all those citizens you are toying with, cruel bastard.

Oh well this doesn't affect me at all, I don't use an AMD card and this is not the type of game I would be interested in but I hope it benefits AMD users and fans of these types of games.

It's good that they are using the tools available to make the game faster. Too few devs do that anyway. But what I am wondering is why Civ 5 was so goddamn slow in the first place.

What on earth is happening underneath the engine and UI that requires that much CPU power. The previous Civs did not need a super-powerful CPU and it is not like Civ 5 has ground-breaking AI.
ci 5 uses a new engine that was "finished" a year and a half into the production of the game. I'm sure they still have tons of optimization they could have done.
here is a link that describes what they did together with intel (it's really interesting) :
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/sid-meier-s-civilization-v-finds-the-graphics-sweet-spot
this one is dev video about the game engine:
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012192/Firaxis-Civilization-V-A-Case

the video is really cool. you'll see immediately where mantle will shine.

Last edited:
Eh I personally think Civ 5 is kind of boring when compared to Civ 3 and 4, I don't know what about it makes it more boring though. That said, I am really excited for this since the series really needs a fresh take.

Back