The Nintendo Switch has surpassed the Wii U's lifetime sales in a single year

Polycount

Staff

It would be a bit of an understatement to say the Nintendo Switch is merely a popular console. Despite a few build quality hiccups, critics and customers alike have lavished the console with praise for its versatility, embrace of third-party and indie titles and its stellar array of exclusive games.

The Switch has been so popular that back in October, we reported the device could surpass its predecessor -- the Wii U -- in lifetime sales during its first year on the market. Now that prediction has been proven true thanks to a recent holiday quarter Investor Relations report from Nintendo.

In it, Nintendo reveals they managed to sell 14.86 million Switch units in 2017. This is in stark contrast to the Wii U's sales numbers which have amounted to a mere 13.56 million units over its five-year lifespan.

That's certainly an impressive difference but the Switch's software sales numbers are nothing to sneeze at, either. The console has sold 52.57 million units of software compared to the Wii U's 101.65 units sold during its lifetime. It's unclear if these numbers cover titles included as part of console bundles or other promotions, however.

As far as specific game sales numbers go, Super Mario Odyssey has gone on to become the Switch's best-selling title so far which is a bit of a surprise given the critical success of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Regardless, Odyssey has sold 9.07 million units since its release with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in close second at 7.33 million units sold. Breath of the Wild takes third place with 6.70 million units sold.

It's impossible to predict whether or not Nintendo will be able to keep up their hot streak but it's clear they have a winner on their hands for the time being.

Permalink to story.

Not really a fair comparison. Since the Wii U was basically a slightly upgraded Wii and not as much of a new game console.
That's the issue I think the Wii U had, everyone thought it was just a slightly upgraded Wii when it wasn't, it was a completely new Console.

Plus from what I heard, they had a very small Marketing budget for the console. I guess someone up top thought that it would sell itself based on how well the Wii did.

Not really a fair comparison. Since the Wii U was basically a slightly upgraded Wii and not as much of a new game console.

The wii U is a ps3/360 grade console, 1080p games. Lots of great 1st party games too, if you havent played Super Mario 3D World co-op your truely missing out. Not to mention SSB, Mario Kart, and all the Zeldas: Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD and Breath of the Wild.

That's the issue I think the Wii U had, everyone thought it was just a slightly upgraded Wii when it wasn't, it was a completely new Console.

Plus from what I heard, they had a very small Marketing budget for the console. I guess someone up top thought that it would sell itself based on how well the Wii did.

Or maybe they needed something to fill the time gap between the Wii and the Switch? Yes, technically it was a "New Console" but to me it still just felt like an upgraded Wii. I can't really explain why though. Just for the record I do own a Wii and Wii U, although the Wii is technically dead.

Well of course, the switch is a great games console. To me it’s the only games console, the Xbox and PS these days are just rebranded locked down PCs with average specs, good value over a PC but not really offering anything but a cut down experience from a PC. The only thing problematic with the switch is the price of the games, they are savage and the only thing stopping me buying the console, I’d be even prepared to pay more for the thing if the games were cheaper. Especially considering that Nintendo clearly spends less to develop a title than a AAA game developer on console.

Well of course, the switch is a great games console. To me it’s the only games console, the Xbox and PS these days are just rebranded locked down PCs with average specs, good value over a PC but not really offering anything but a cut down experience from a PC. The only thing problematic with the switch is the price of the games, they are savage and the only thing stopping me buying the console, I’d be even prepared to pay more for the thing if the games were cheaper. Especially considering that Nintendo clearly spends less to develop a title than a AAA game developer on console.

Dude, I bit the bullet and got a switch 2 weeks ago. Mario is the only game I have. I had been very wearly of dropping that kind of cash too.

The game is Incredible. The exploration and MASSIVE worlds have consumed me so much that I find myself dreaming of secret passage ways in my sleep. If your a fan of Mario platformers, do yourself a favor and dive in.

On a side note I have been a day 1 PS4 owner that has upgraded to a ps4 pro and have a plethera of games, but I really only hop on that thing for coop with my high school buddies as most of the big single player AAA titles are so technical now that I would rather take a nap with my free time than memorize endless abilities and character building. I also have a PC more than capable of gaming and that I just pay bills with, I have a handful of games I’ve really only fired up to revel in the graphical glory.

The switch is where its at if your a Nintendo fan and you grew up with it as a kid. Also, the Virtural Console is coming, and when it does my and maybe your wallet will be opening up for more classic nintendo greatness. I cant wait.

Well of course, the switch is a great games console. To me it’s the only games console, the Xbox and PS these days are just rebranded locked down PCs with average specs.

You're right about them being similiar to PC spec wise more than ever, however they still have their place in the market.
More so with Playation in this case. Maybe not for you, but there're Sony exclusives games that are only available on their platform that myself and others who are interested in playing.

Not to mention it's convient. Not everyone has a gaming PC, or wants to game on PC. Those are the people who just wants to buy a console put the game in and play without having to worry about changing parts, or building comp.

I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 era back in the 80s. Even though I have a powerful PC, I still appreciate and happily game on consoles.

"Super Mario Odyssey has gone on to become the Switch's best-selling title so far which is a bit of a surprise given the critical success of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. "

I don't think that's a surprise, given Zelda was a launch title, and Super Mario was released when there was a far higher install base. Most game sales happens in the first months.

"Super Mario Odyssey has gone on to become the Switch's best-selling title so far which is a bit of a surprise given the critical success of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. "

I don't think that's a surprise, given Zelda was a launch title, and Super Mario was released when there was a far higher install base. Most game sales happens in the first months.

Good point, I didn't think about that.

To add on to that, I'm not sure if Nintendo's numbers count BoTW bundle deals, so it's possible that total game ownership (Odyssey vs. BoTW) is actually pretty close between the two.

The wii U is a ps3/360 grade console, 1080p games. Lots of great 1st party games too, if you havent played Super Mario 3D World co-op your truely missing out. Not to mention SSB, Mario Kart, and all the Zeldas: Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD and Breath of the Wild.
That is false in so many ways..... google the hardware, it is just a little bit below the ps4 and xbox one....

That is false in so many ways..... google the hardware, it is just a little bit below the ps4 and xbox one....

Ok bud. I took your advice and googled just to confirm what I read years ago when it launched. It has a 3 core CPU, like the xbox 360 cept lower clocked, it has double the ram vs 360 and ps3 and finally a low level 7 series GPU. The GPU is in a class above the 360 and ps3, but nowhere near a ps4.

Current gen has 8 cores and 7850+ class GPU with the lowest end an OG Xbox One (7850)

You’re way off buddy. As said above, it’s GPU graphical grunt is only just slightly PS3/Xbox 360. No where near PS4/Xbox One level. It’s been well documented for years now.

Back