The NSA is capable of monitoring 75 percent of U.S. Internet traffic

Shawn Knight

Staff member

nsa reach internet traffic spying

The National Security Agency has the capacity to reach roughly 75 percent of all US Internet traffic and while we’ve been told this is all done to target terrorists and the like, the agency sometimes retains the written content of e-mail messages sent between citizens in the US according to the latest report from the Wall Street Journal.

Current and former officials further told the publication that the NSA also filters domestic phone calls made over the Internet. The filtering is done with the cooperation of numerous telecom companies under the guise of searching for communications that either originate or terminate abroad or are entirely foreign but happen to pass through the US.

These programs go by a number of names including Blarney, Fairview, Oakstar, Lithium and Stormbrew, just to name a few. Blarney is said to be associated with AT&T although naturally, the telecom declined to comment when questioned by the Journal. More than a dozen filtering locations are spread across the US at major Internet junctions, we’re told.

None of this is really new behavior, however, as the US government was intercepting Internet traffic well before the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Afterwards, the NSA expanded the reach of surveillance programs to collect more data when the government broadened its definition of reasonable collection.

For example, in the months leading up to the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, the FBI and the NSA worked with Qwest Communications International to intercept and monitor the content of all e-mail and text communications in the Salt Lake City area.

Permalink to story.

Thank you techspot for not letting this topic go. Its going to take constant coverage of these types of stories for these dumb kids to wake up and realize whats going on around them.

The NSA is a clear violation of the constitution and should be disbanded! I have no problem with monitoring data from a suspect after obtaining a warrant, but this is a government agency monitoring all data nation wide in the BS effort of "keeping us safe". Knowledge is power, and that is exactly what they are after.

If you think no ill effects can ever be had from the government indulging in this type of activity then you are beyond naive! The IRS has already been caught in scandals targeting certain political parties. Do I really need to remind people that government workers/agencies are easily susceptible to "persuasion" for power or political gain?

You may feel like you are completely safe now because after all, "what do I have to hide right?". But you have no idea who or what kind of people will be in control in the future. Your future kids could be the target of the government for simply disagreeing with its political direction in a phone call or email. Allowing this sort of thing to continue is dangerous.

Thank you techspot for not letting this topic go. Its going to take constant coverage of these types of stories for these dumb kids to wake up and realize whats going on around them.

The NSA is a clear violation of the constitution and should be disbanded! I have no problem with monitoring data from a suspect after obtaining a warrant, but this is a government agency monitoring all data nation wide in the BS effort of "keeping us safe". Knowledge is power, and that is exactly what they are after.

If you think no ill effects can ever be had from the government indulging in this type of activity then you are beyond naive! The IRS has already been caught in scandals targeting certain political parties. Do I really need to remind people that government workers/agencies are easily susceptible to "persuasion" for power or political gain?

You may feel like you are completely safe now because after all, "what do I have to hide right?". But you have no idea who or what kind of people will be in control in the future. Your future kids could be the target of the government for simply disagreeing with its political direction in a phone call or email. Allowing this sort of thing to continue is dangerous.

You need to be sent in Afghanistan and in the front line to convince Al-Qaeda and company to play by the rules (That is if they didn't hacked your neck off on video and showed it on the internet.) Or perhaps in the World trade center during 911. IRS scandal is orchestrated in the white house, and do you remember where the whistle blower worked? After the guy's term is up, there will be a lot of profound changes and that includes his attorney general...

You need to be sent in Afghanistan and in the front line to convince Al-Qaeda and company to play by the rules (That is if they didn't hacked your neck off on video and showed it on the internet.) Or perhaps in the World trade center during 911. IRS scandal is orchestrated in the white house, and do you remember where the whistle blower worked? After the guy's term is up, there will be a lot of profound changes and that includes his attorney general...
If you are a vet then u just shat on the u.s. constitution,INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY;also read up on the 4th amendment.The system is the problem;they discriminate on those in the tea party because it has real ideals unlike the divide and conquer fed reserve system they (democrats and republicans) support; if you don't believe me then research it.And if you don't than please ingest all the aspartame;fluoride high fructose corn syrup and sacchrin possible you probably think that stuff is good for you anyway.

also there is no rules in war;if there were than the U.S. would have destroyed them because drones have killed over 200 innocent children overseas, but the ends justify the means right????????????

"Current and former officials further told the publication that the NSA also filters domestic phone calls made over the Internet." - Techspot

"Nobody is listening to your phone calls." - Barrack H. Obama

"Current and former officials further told the publication that the NSA also filters domestic phone calls made over the Internet." - Techspot

"Nobody is listening to your phone calls." - Barrack H. Obama
He probably meant landlines.

If you are a vet then u just shat on the u.s. constitution,INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY;also read up on the 4th amendment.The system is the problem;they discriminate on those in the tea party because it has real ideals unlike the divide and conquer fed reserve system they (democrats and republicans) support; if you don't believe me then research it.And if you don't than please ingest all the aspartame;fluoride high fructose corn syrup and sacchrin possible you probably think that stuff is good for you anyway.[/quote]
1.Innocent until proven guilty, where in here that it says your guilty and your going to jail?
2. When you say shat, I'm assuming you meant ****, it's just your level of education or your spelling capability which I noticed in your comments...
3. Yes, I am a Vet, but does not approved of the IRS Scandal...
4. Your not pretty good with your assumption, I don't even drink soda it's bad for you and that includes those chemicals aspartame, saccharin, etc... I prefer organic stuff as much as I can afford it...

Also there is no rules in war;if there were than the U.S. would have destroyed them because drones have killed over 200 innocent children overseas, but the ends justify the means right????????????[/quote]

Please research "Geneva Convention". Also could you reread what I wrote again, I think there's a problem with "reading comprehension.
"

If you are a vet then u just shat on the u.s. constitution,INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY;also read up on the 4th amendment.The system is the problem;they discriminate on those in the tea party because it has real ideals unlike the divide and conquer fed reserve system they (democrats and republicans) support; if you don't believe me then research it.And if you don't than please ingest all the aspartame;fluoride high fructose corn syrup and sacchrin possible you probably think that stuff is good for you anyway.
1.Innocent until proven guilty, where in here that it says your guilty and your going to jail?
2. When you say shat, I'm assuming you meant ****, it's just your level of education or your spelling capability which I noticed in your comments...
3. Yes, I am a Vet, but does not approved of the IRS Scandal...
4. Your not pretty good with your assumption, I don't even drink soda it's bad for you and that includes those chemicals aspartame, saccharin, etc... I prefer organic stuff as much as I can afford it...

Hi Khanonate, perhaps you haven't been posting on here very long, but there's a general unwritten rule that you don't argue with Spencer. He's guilty of just about every item in this list (specifically #3). You'll notice he agrees with the tea party but not republicans, so don't expect him to understand the difference between the NSA's filtering of internet traffic and the IRS focusing on conservative groups in an election year.

I'm also worried about the media's blind support of Obama, the IRS scandal, and people getting fired for ridiculing the prez. But the NSA isn't as closely bound to an administration, and I'm going to wait until we see some result of the NSA spying before I jump on the bandwagon that it's a bad thing.

Anyway... it's not like anyone here has stopped using the internet.

Hi Khanonate, perhaps you haven't been posting on here very long, but there's a general unwritten rule that you don't argue with Spencer. He's guilty of just about every item in this list (specifically #3). You'll notice he agrees with the tea party but not republicans, so don't expect him to understand the difference between the NSA's filtering of internet traffic and the IRS focusing on conservative groups in an election year.

I'm also worried about the media's blind support of Obama, the IRS scandal, and people getting fired for ridiculing the prez. But the NSA isn't as closely bound to an administration, and I'm going to wait until we see some result of the NSA spying before I jump on the bandwagon that it's a bad thing.

Anyway... it's not like anyone here has stopped using the internet.
I don't support the fed reserve system(a private bank owned by corps and other evil entites ); I do support most of the republican ideals though;but it's just another form of divide and conquer.I don't give a shat for spelling;I don't know you but im glad you are an exception as im still a kid I look around every day and see my friends ingesting such and laughing about it;imagine what my generation will be like when they are your age it's horrible.Innocent until guilty;that means The NSA has no reason for snooping in what they can find of mine...not just destroying my privacy.Also the media isn't supposed to cover huge stories that could have people question the government;if they do they get either dead reporters(Michael Hastings)or kicked off the white house press list(and they aren't even supposed to ask real questions when they are on the press list). If your all such wonderful free minds then see if im lying.Call me crazy all you want but I'm trying to inform you all because I care.

Also there is no rules in war;if there were than the U.S. would have destroyed them because drones have killed over 200 innocent children overseas, but the ends justify the means right????????????

Please research "Geneva Convention". Also could you reread what I wrote again, I think there's a problem with "reading comprehension.
"[/quote]
ahh yes the U.N. the conduit in which they can achieve a full new world order as described on the US dollar; The UN has many war criminals in it like Henry Kissinger. He isn't clean;infact he's arrogant... "The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer".
Henry Kissinger, New York Times, Oct. 28, 1973

Anyway... it's not like anyone here has stopped using the internet.[/quote]

Hi MilwaukeeMike, Thanks for the heads up! 10-4, I just noticed.....

also there is no rules in war;if there were than the U.S. would have destroyed them because drones have killed over 200 innocent children overseas, but the ends justify the means right????????????

Yes because the people that we fight against really give a **** about innocent casualties in any of their attacks right? These people would gladly strap a bomb to themselves and kill a train full of women and children for the promise of 40 virgins. I guess 9/11 was a precision strike on a military facility and no innocent adults or children died in that attack. I must have not heard about it.

I guess America is the evil one right? Personally, I wish we could leave the middle east and let them all kill themselves or eachother. But when nukes are involved in a region of war. So are we.

I guess America is the evil one right? Personally, I wish we could leave the middle east and let them all kill themselves or eachother. But when nukes are involved in a region of war. So are we.
As long as we are on foreign soil stirring up trouble, you are absolutely right. And yes I agree with you, let them fight it out amongst themselves.

Yes because the people that we fight against really give a **** about innocent casualties in any of their attacks right? These people would gladly strap a bomb to themselves and kill a train full of women and children for the promise of 40 virgins. I guess 9/11 was a precision strike on a military facility and no innocent adults or children died in that attack. I must have not heard about it.

CIVILIANS;no need to bring in prejudice and stereotypes. Not all citizens of the country al-qaeda moves too are terrorists... you haven't heard about it because corporate media doesn't want you to,that's why they don't cover it.

Back