The Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti is now available in Serbia for $1,400

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! The next entry in Nvidia's Lovelace series of graphics cards, the RTX 4070 Ti, doesn't launch until early next month, likely January 5, but it seems nobody told a retailer in Serbia who is apparently selling the card early and for a comically high price.

Redditors discovered the upcoming Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Gaming card for sale in a Serbian store. Gamers in the country will have to pay a high premium to become one of the first to own the GPU: it's priced at 172,229 RSD, including taxes, which converts to around $1,550. That's close to the US MSRP of an RTX 4090.

The retailer is generously offering a discount on the RTX 4070 Ti to those who pay cash for the card. Sadly, even with 10% off, the price is $1,400, which is still a few hundred dollars more than the official RTX 4080 MSRP.

Assuming this is all real and not some elaborate fakery, the stupidly high price will partly be due to the card being sold ahead of its release date. However, a Serbian Reddit user points out that the country has a duopoly on the tech market. When taxes, customs, and greedy merchants are also taken into account, it leads to some of the most expensive tech prices in the EU. As an example, the RTX 4080 retails for $1,700 in Serbia, while the RTX 4090 goes for a minimum of $2,500.

It seems that Serbia isn't the only nation where the RTX 4070 Ti is in stock. Another Redditor shared photos of the MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio from a Costa Rican retailer, though in this case, the cards aren't being sold now; they're just ready for the official launch. The seller is said to be taking pre-orders, but there's no word on prices.

We now know that the RTX 4070 Ti is a rebranded version of the $900 RTX 4080 12GB that Nvidia "unlaunched" in October, leaving only the RTX 4080 16GB, which hasn't been selling very well—unless you count Newegg's figures.

The RTX 4070 Ti features a 295 sq. mm full-fat AD104 GPU, 12GB of DDR6X memory clocked at 21 Gbps, a 192-bit memory bus, and 504 GB/s of bandwidth. There are also 7,680 cores, as well as 240 Tensor cores, 60 ray tracing units, 30 billion transistors, and up to 160 ROPs. Still no word on what the official MSRP will be in the US.

Permalink to story.

Maybe I should move to a third world country so I can once again enjoy being the first to buy the newest state-of-the-art technology. I hear the iPhone 16 is now on sale in Afghanistan.

Maybe I should move to a third world country so I can once again enjoy being the first to buy the newest state-of-the-art technology. I hear the iPhone 16 is now on sale in Afghanistan.
It`s weird they`re launching a possible hot product in Serbia first, but calling it a third world country only shows your complete lack of education.

Lol, enjoy the most expensive electronics in the world? If that is what you want, you're welcome to come to Serbia.

Heh, if you would see price of just monitors here, you would run like hell and never turn back!

At $900, it's DOA. At $750 it's on life support. This should be a $650 card. Nvidia has a chance to blow up AMD if they would only drop prices, but it seems they aren't inclined to do so. Well, sooner or later they will have to or else sit on a pile of GPUs no one will buy.

Broken record time, but Nvidia no longer cares about the mainstream consumer or volume sales. Every player is working to push the entire hobby out of the mainstream and focus squarely on the enthusiasts willing to spend. Even at the entry level. Expect 60 tier cards to command the same prices 80 tier cards did just a few generations ago. Ie not something one could reasonably characterize as affordable or value oriented products.

Let's break this down. Serbia has a 20% VAT included. The real price in Serbia is $1291 ($1550/1.2) as a direct conversion pre-tax. This just a bit more than $180 less than an RTX 4080 ($1360 pre-tax) in Serbia, which is a somewhat small price difference between a XX70 Ti and XX80 card.

US pricing is approximately 30% less on a RTX 4080 pre-tax, so using that same factor, a 4070 Ti would cost $870 stateside using the numbers in the article. This is fairly close to the expected $899 price tag Nvidia may slap on this "unlaunched" 4080 variant. Anywhere in the $799-$899 range is likely what Nvidia will settle on with third-party editions coming in close to $1000.

Remember you cannot do meaningful product price comparisons post-tax because Nvidia isn't paying sales taxes that the consumer is responsible for and Nvidia also doesn't keep the sales taxes.

It's just smoke before launch to justify asking price?
No. This is people not understanding how global price models work. The 4070 Ti price is very likely going to be $799-$899 but a lot of people don't understand taxes or currency exchange values.

Broken record time, but Nvidia no longer cares about the mainstream consumer or volume sales. Every player is working to push the entire hobby out of the mainstream and focus squarely on the enthusiasts willing to spend. Even at the entry level. Expect 60 tier cards to command the same prices 80 tier cards did just a few generations ago. Ie not something one could reasonably characterize as affordable or value oriented products.

Prices are so bad I’m contemplating on just getting a console and dealing with a controller. I have 4 year old 2070 that I can’t afford to upgrade too, because newer card prices are terrible and it’s not worth the upgrade to get a 3080 for AUD $1100.

“ When taxes, customs, and greedy merchants are also taken into account, it leads to some of the most expensive tech prices in the EU.”

Uhh, Serbia isn’t in the EU guys… I’d forgive it as an innocent mistake, if the duopoly comment hadn’t been directly behind it. It wouldn’t be possible to have a duopoly if they were in the single market 🤦🏻‍♂️

If the RTX 4080 are not flying off the shelves at inflated or MSRP, you should expect an overpriced RTX 4070 Ti to end up with the same fate. At the possible 899 USD MSRP, people are already throwing eggs at Nvidia. It seems like Nvidia is trying to starve the market of GPUs by severely limiting supply, so as to artificially create that GPU run during the launch of Ampere. But I think they will end up hurting themselves more because as inflation persists, and recession upon us, they can starve the market and generate some demand at the start, but that demand is going to fall off a cliff very quickly because they priced themselves out of the market.

Here's the funny thing, a lot of IT brands are being distributed or represented for the eastern side of EU by non-EU Serbian people and companies.

For Cooler Master, MSI, ASRock, Patriot to give a few examples I know about for sure, the guys distris from Eastern Europe are talking to are Serbians.

No idea how this small country that is not known for being great at doing commerce got so many high level brands in its portfolio.

Back