'The Oregon Trail' card game is a thing

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Hands down, the absolute best part about computer class in elementary school was getting to play The Oregon Trail. If we finished our work early, we’d get to try our luck at surviving the grueling Oregon Trail… aw heck, who am I kidding? All anyone ever wanted to do was shoot buffalo!

The Oregon Trail, which made its debut way back in 1971, was developed by Bill Heinemann, Paul Dillenberger and Don Rawitsch. The educational game’s premise was to lead your group of settlers from Independence, Missouri, to Willamette Valley in Oregon via covered wagon – might I add, a task that’s easier said than done.

Recently, a Reddit user came across a card game based on The Oregon Trail from Pressman Toy Corporation at Target. When asked to comment, Target spokesperson Lee Henderson told The Oregonian that the game is scheduled to be released on July 31 although some stores have received their shipments early.

The card game appears to be a faithful interpretation of the video game featuring different types of blocky playing cards, a laminated wagon party roster, a die and of course, instruction on how to play. As you can see from the box, this is a Target exclusive.

Earlier this year, The Oregon Trail was inducted into the World Video Game Hall of Fame alongside Grand Theft Auto III, The Sims, Sonic the Hedgehog, The Legend of Zelda and Space Invaders.

All images courtesy dwboso, Reddit

Permalink to story.

Oregon Trail was awesome back in it's day. Now it seems a little harsh to have your kids die from an illness, but it guess it was realistic at least.

Earlier this year, The Oregon Trail was inducted into the World Video Game Hall of Fame alongside Grand Theft Auto III, The Sims, Sonic the Hedgehog, The Legend of Zelda and Space Invaders.

GTA 3 is in the Video Game hall of fame?!

It was a huge change from classic GTAs making it the popular franchise that is now and revolutionized sandboxed games, so I think they have all the right to do so.

Gotcha - I was confused on why the 3rd one would be in and not the 1st - I'm guessing that's the first one you could beat the snot out of a h00ker and get your money back? An instant classic, lol!

Debuted in 1971? Uuuh, I think maybe that should be 1981.
Nope 1971 is correct. That is according to the data on Wiki, it corresponds with the article.

http://oregontrail.wikia.com/wiki/Oregon_Trail_(computer_game
The Oregon Trail is a computer game originally developed by Don Rawitsch, Bill Heinemann, and Paul Dillenberger in 1971 and produced by MECC in 1974. The original game was designed to teach school children about the pioneer life on the Oregon Trail

Color me shocked as well clifford - musta' been Nice to go to any school, let alone elementary, that had computer access in 1971. Still vividly recall the Joy of 1972 that was my father's life, as the manager of the finance department of an international corp got 'computerized', with those Nifty punchcards, et al.
Put another way, not in My school, but hey I live in a sub 10-million population city, so... lol.
(I think about the 'those' IBM terminals, and that the Star Trek game, in 1989, was still butt-ugly on a Nice EGA monitor.. hard to imagine 5th graders having this a decade before the Apple II)

Last edited:
Color me shocked as well clifford - musta' been Nice to go to any school, let alone elementary, that had computer access in 1971.
Tell me about it. I was born in 72 and the whole time I was in school, I never saw a computer. That is outside of the main office, not to be used by students.

Back