The PC version of Final Fantasy XV will reportedly take up 170GB of drive space (updated)

midian182

Staff member

Correction (8/22/17): It seems that Final Fantasy fans won't need to rush out and buy a new SSD. In an interview with Kotaku at Gamescom, game director Hajime Tabata called the 170GB listing a communications error. "That was a mistake, actually," he said. "That was a communications mistake - something got put in a memo that really shouldn't have. What that is [the specifications that went out to press] based on the specs that we're running the demo on today."

"Again, the final specs for the release version haven't been fixed yet. There's a very good chance they can change. Someone put that in there and it got reported as the recommended specs, but that's not the final fixed version. The fact that it became that number is a communication [error]."

As PC games become ever larger and more complex, the amount of storage space they require continues to increase. Most big releases these days hover around the 40GB - 60GB mark, with some requesting even more - Gears of War 4, for example, asks for 114GB. But that's nothing compared to the PC version of Final Fantasy XV, which will reportedly eat up a whopping 170GB of your hard drive.

Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition is set for release in early 2018. While that does mean PC owners will have waited over a year and a half for the game, Square Enix is loading it with "Nvidia GameWorks technology and other advanced PC features."

The PC port will receive "4K high res textures, Dolby Atmos, realistic turf, advanced hair simulation, combustible fluid, fire and smoke simulation, advanced shadow alogrithmns, high quality ambient occlusion, Ansel screenshots," and more. Those with compatible monitors will also enjoy support for HDR10 and 8K resolutions.

All those high-res textures and fancy effects mean the game is going to take up a large chunk of your drive. According to GearNuke, the recommended specs list it as 170GB. Square Enix is also reportedly recommending an Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz or AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.7 GHz, 16GB of RAM, and a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.

Those recommendations are pretty extreme, though they're presumably for running the game at its highest settings. But judging from the luscious 4K trailer, a rig upgrade could be worth it for Final Fantasy fans.

If you want to find out more about Final Fantasy's GameWorks technologies, check out this extensive blog post from Nvidia.

Permalink to story.

So we're talking about some 45-minute download.

Anyway, I'm very happy that this releases on PC. For all I care it could be 500 GB.

I don't care how many 4k textures you have or WAV files you use there is no solid technological reason this should be 170gb.
There was a time when people would have said the same thing but with mb and before that kb. ;)
not really relevant to this situation - I do alot of work with game assets (although I won't pretend to do it on a professional basis yet) and you have to be inherently wasteful and completely ignore optimization hit this level of game size. There is nothing in this game that gives it a reason to be so huge - unless their "8k" support means "8k" textures too, which would also be *****ic as the amount of people playing this game at 8k probably falls into single, possibly low double digits.

WTF? Devs forgot about compression. This is silly! Gears size was outrageous too.
So you would prefer compressed junk instead of quality game? Not me. I could not care less for the space usage. I have 10+TB drives and it is not expensive to buy more. If you are a real gamer size of the game is the only spec you do not care about. In fact I find myself refusing to look at games that are below 50GB of size nowadays.

WTF? Devs forgot about compression. This is silly! Gears size was outrageous too.
So you would prefer compressed junk instead of quality game? Not me. I could not care less for the space usage. I have 10+TB drives and it is not expensive to buy more. If you are a real gamer size of the game is the only spec you do not care about. In fact I find myself refusing to look at games that are below 50GB of size nowadays.
I honestly cant tell if this is serious or not

Hmm...yeah. I have 8tb worth of storage drives in my tower, 8 more externally, a 256gb boot ssd and a 1tb ssd for games. So yeah...170gb for a game is a LOT. Maybe you are too poor to get ssds for your games, or you are so wealthy that you can spend thousands on ssd storage. Either way...this is an absurd amount of space for a game. You sound really silly with comments like "real gamers don't care about the install size." For the most part, I don't. I could fit 3 huge games on my game ssd instead of this. Don't be so obtuse.

Ugh stop calling these games Final Fantasy! It's not even along the same lines as the originals anymore. Driving around cars and shooting guns for heavens sake. Not turn based, not even medieval times anymore, now it's just sort of steampunk modern.

So you would prefer compressed junk instead of quality game? Not me. I could not care less for the space usage. I have 10+TB drives and it is not expensive to buy more
That's like saying "I don't care about optimization, I have 4x 1080Ti's, 64GB of RAM and whatever CPU is the best now". Let them and next time they will release a game even bigger and even less optimized, see where this leads to?

Speaking about quality game, what makes a 170GB game a quality game?

If you are a real gamer size of the game is the only spec you do not care about.
Haven't heard something this dumb in quite a while. What's a "real gamer" even?
In fact I find myself refusing to look at games that are below 50GB of size nowadays.
This shows what a "real gamer" you are. You judge games by their size, I've never heard anyone say this before.
-"Yo, wanna play this cool new indie game?"
-"How much is it in size?"
-"8GB"
-"Nah, mate, it needs to be 50GB minimum before I look into it"

I hope I'm just getting trolled here.

Sounds like they could of done some compression but really as a PC gamer what does a 2TB hard drive set you back? In Canada at 30% premium it's bout $120 so $80 in the US? Personally I have had a dedicated 4TB drive for gamers for a few years now.
So if you are really into this game I would think you would appreciate all the effort they put into doing a lot more then simply porting some 30 fps locked console game.

I honestly cant tell if this is serious or not

I would have thought sarcasm...after all, the only way he could potentially afford 10TB or larger individual drives is if he used 7200RPM HDDs...& everyone knows that real gamers only use SSDs...

I don't think 170GB is that outragous considering what type of PC this game will require anyways. Its typical technology, in 5 years this will be typical size for indie games.

I see AMD cards are about to get trashed...

And Nvidia likely too. I don't think a game has ever had this much GimpWorks stuff in it but I know for sure that nearly every time last gen Nvidia cards get screwed over as well (900 series). It wouldn't be the first time Nvidia has done something completely uneeded to make sure performance on everything but their latest cards is good.

It's like this guy doesn't realize that games have been employing texture compression with zero visual fidelity lose for a long time now. They could cut that game size in half with a lossless method alone.

170GB = "LOL we couldnt be bothered to optimize this digital excrement, enjoy your 15 minute load times with SSDs!"

Also, for the jokers saying "oohh 45 minute download" at 50 Mbps, this would take over 8 hours, assuming maximum speed and no network traffic or interruptions. The average non peak speed in the US is 17.2. And for many, this is over half their monthly cap, not to mention the inevitable 20-50+ GB patches to fix massive broken portions of this game.

Last edited:
I have never played FF but this part would bother me, "PC port"
It's a scary term... as its turned out to be crap in the past. Hopefully it will be solid though, and considering the wait it damn well better be. GTA 5 was a port too, but R* did an excellent job with it. A complete reversal from GTA 4.

It's a scary term... as its turned out to be crap in the past. Hopefully it will be solid though, and considering the wait it damn well better be. GTA 5 was a port too, but R* did an excellent job with it. A complete reversal from GTA 4.
Metal Gear V: The Phantom Pain was a port failure. Well it was a failure in general since Konami half butt it.

I don't care how many 4k textures you have or WAV files you use there is no solid technological reason this should be 170gb.
There was a time when people would have said the same thing but with mb and before that kb. ;)
not really relevant to this situation - I do alot of work with game assets (although I won't pretend to do it on a professional basis yet) and you have to be inherently wasteful and completely ignore optimization hit this level of game size. There is nothing in this game that gives it a reason to be so huge - unless their "8k" support means "8k" textures too, which would also be *****ic as the amount of people playing this game at 8k probably falls into single, possibly low double digits.

It's an RPG, so a large portion of that space is probably cut scenes and effects.
I doubt the devs were thinking that making the game 3x the size of the average would be funny.
Fallout 4 texture pack alone was 58GB, so do the math.

Back