The PlayStation 5 could be the second-heaviest console ever

midian182

Staff member
In context: We already know that the PlayStation 5 is going to dwarf the current generation of consoles, and it looks like it might be the second-heaviest console of all time, beaten only by Sony’s behemoth of a machine: the PlayStation 3.

Redditor u/likkyball spotted a listing for the upcoming PS5 on Amazon’s German store. It has the machine’s weight down as 4.78 kg, which is a hefty 10.54 pounds. Assuming the listing is accurate, that would make the PS5 one of the heaviest consoles ever.

Anyone who bought a PlayStation 3 might have bad memories of trying to carry the beast home. It weighed 11 pounds—more than twice the weight of the original PS2. The PlayStation 5’s 10.54 pounds would place it above the current number two: the chunky, original Xbox, which came in at 8.8 pounds.

There’s some debate over whether the listing’s weight includes the packaging, but even if it does, the PS5 will likely still be near the top of the heaviest-consoles list—certainly above the fifth-place PS4 Pro (7.3 pounds).

The Xbox Series X, a heavy-set machine that looks more like a PC tower than a traditional console, could also tire your arms with its reported 9.81-pound weight, making it the third-heaviest console behind the PS5.

What’s confusing about the listing is that the Digital Edition of the PS5, the one without the Blu-ray disc drive, has the same 10.54-pound weight, which seems very unlikely—the disc-less version of the Xbox One is around a pound lighter than the standard version.

Whether or not the weight listing is accurate, we know all the extra hardware and cooling means the PS5 is going to be quite the unit. It’s still a baby next to some enthusiast PC cases, of course, such as the Corsair Obsidian 1000D, which could double as a small domicile.

Permalink to story.

It's nice to know this in context to other consoles. But I'd rather have a larger console than Sony cut corners with any necessary cooling or added costs.

I expect the PS5 (like past generations) will slowly be replaced with more thermally efficient parts. This is likely just another cost of being an early adopter.

The most worrying part is still probably the ergonomics of the PS5. It seems Sony has taken at least one step back in that direction compared to the PS4 versions.

With that nice tall console I wonder how long before their is a lawsuit from it falling over and breaking .... you know it's going to happen, what are my bids on how long?

It's nice to know this in context to other consoles. But I'd rather have a larger console than Sony cut corners with any necessary cooling or added costs.

I expect the PS5 (like past generations) will slowly be replaced with more thermally efficient parts. This is likely just another cost of being an early adopter.

The most worrying part is still probably the ergonomics of the PS5. It seems Sony has taken at least one step back in that direction compared to the PS4 versions.
I'm fine with it's size what I'm not fine with is all the Sony fanboys who were s**ting on the Xbox series x for its size before the ps5 reveal and then turn around and praise the ps5 when it's obviously way bigger.

Karma is all I'm gonna say.

It's massive.

The slim will be on the shelves the first chance Sony get moving the APU down to 5nm.

Two years after launch, tops.

Wow better start working out so you can bring it from your door to your living room by hand. or buy a cart

I don't mind a heavy console.

Weight tends to reflect quality. The PS3 was a heavy device, but it was a quality built device. I still have my OG PS3 with the flip up door for the memory card reader and 4 usb ports that can play PS2 games. Thing is a tank, gets hot and loud.

I don't like the White. It will look weird on my TV stand. I like to keep things black. Considering how big my Audio Receiver is, A big black box next to it will blend in well. But a white box....

Back