The popular "Laptop won't turn on"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using my laptop last friday evening at school and it was working great, no problems. I had to leave so i shut it down, unplugged it, and put it in my pack and went home. When I got home I took it out of my bag and set it on the table, plugged the adapter into the wall and plugged it into my laptop......but none of the lights came on. I tried to turn it on but, of course, nothing happened. I am at a loss and hoping it is not the motherboard, however everything points to the motherboard and a couple people i talked to said the same thing. I read about the "reset method" (take the battery out, hold for 30 seconds, etc.) but that didn't help.

Anybody have any other ideas? My warranty is up and i can't afford a new one so ANY help is appreciated. My laptop is a Toshiba L305D-S5900

Thanks.

Try checking your power adapter first, if there are no lights on when you turn it on, thats the first place to look at

yes the AC Adapter, these things are pretty 'fragile' specially nowadays. In the olden days when i had dell i dropped its AC Adapter couple of times nothing doing it worked just fine. Whereas, I already had to replace my HP's AC Adapter after one little "shock" ....... because it wouldn't work and made some funny noises before passing away:dead:

Hmmm I can't check that right now but i will when i get home. But aside from the adapter the laptop should still turn on shouldn't it? It didn't come on when the adapter was in OR out. Unless plugging it back in short the power supply out or something, which is unlikely.

Yes it should turn on while using battery; unless there is issues with the notebook itself.

Sorry for the double post but i read somewhere that in the same situation someone suggested that the CMOS Battery could be low on power or dead and to take out the battery and plug in in the AC Adapter, leaving it over night. I don't really know what the CMOS battery is but thought i would mention it if you think that might help?

its a long shot; but if you are comfortable with doing it there is no harm in trying it.

Yea actually i think i figured it out lol while looking at it last night (i didn't open it up) i noticed that the AC plug was moving around a little. so i unplugged it and put a flathead in the jack and gentle moved the jack and noticed it was wiggling a little and i think the power jack came loose, which i read was pretty common among Toshiba Satellite models. Plus the symptoms match mine exactly.

yes it is a HUGE relief lol i'll just send it in the toshiba since i don't have the tools to do it myself lol

thanks for all your help :)

Toshiba mx35-161 has the A/C adaptor in the right rear (when facing the keyboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back