The Quest Pro and Quest 2 get permanent price cuts of up to $500

DragonSlayer101

Staff
In context: Meta launched the Quest 2 in late 2020 at a starting price of $299 before inexplicably deciding to hike its price by $100 last year. The Quest Pro was priced at a staggering $1,500 from day 1, making it unaffordable for most people. Meta has seemingly acknowledged that they were overpriced, announcing price cuts for both units.

Meta announced significant price cuts on its Quest Pro and Quest 2 headsets. The new MSRPs go into effect on Sunday, March 5. Unfortunately, the entry-level 128GB Meta Quest 2 remains at $400. However, the 256 GB model will get its price slashed from $500 to $430, and the Pro will cost $999.99 instead of $1,500.

The company said the price drop on the Quest 2 would help more people experience VR without tethering a headset to their PC or game console. The lower cost for the Quest Pro aims to make it available to more enterprise users.

Meta's move to lower the prices of its VR headsets comes just over six months after the company hiked the 256GB Quest 2 from $400 to $500 and the 128GB from $300 to $400. At that time, the company said the increase was needed to help it keep "investing in moving the VR industry forward for the long term."

The Meta Quest Pro launched last October for a whopping $1,500. However, unlike the Quest 2, it is aimed at professionals and businesses rather than gamers. Its use case is to enable enterprise users to visualize 3D models of products, create virtual workspaces, and collaborate with remote coworkers efficiently. It is also backward compatible with Quest 2 apps and games, meaning customers could still use it as a high-end gaming headset.

The new prices should entice some VR enthusiasts to pull the trigger and get a new Quest headset, which is most likely Meta's motivation. That said, Quest 2 is routinely available at decent discounts during shopping seasons, although the permanent price drop means that users can now buy it at a reasonable price all year round.

The price cut on the Quest Pro just a few months after its launch is a surprise, but it will likely help clear out inventory before Apple's rumored XR headset debuts later this year. Plus, it sets a price 66 percent lower than Cupertino's rumored price of $3,000.

Permalink to story.

Somehow I doubt Apple will charge $3k for a headset, hardly mass market. I reckon it'll be $1k max.

Apple routinely sells MacBooks at 3K, just a few years back they were barely if any better than a $1500 Windows laptop in terms of performance. Apple make much better now but they were constantly outdated on the processor side. It worked for them as they had much better longevity compared to Windows. Ya just never know with Apple, they surprise ya every now n then

Last edited:
Curious what you mean by this...
Lasting longer, less issues like viruses. Apple have a history of their laptops lasting 5-7 years. At one point you could have a MacBook last 10 years. Apple will force you to update these days by not updating your device or making you think you need the latest device. It works for them n Apple users don't seem to mind all that much.

This isn't to say Windows is crap or bad, they just didn't have a history for longevity plus viruses were n are a problem for them vs Apple.

Neither company is perfect and in the end its about what the USER needs. Apple and MS have come a long way. Use whichever you like.

As if we weren't tortured enough by our smelly headphones. Honestly, do these people even game?

Lasting longer, less issues like viruses. Apple have a history of their laptops lasting 5-7 years. At one point you could have a MacBook last 10 years. Apple will force you to update these days by not updating your device or making you think you need the latest device. It works for them n Apple users don't seem to mind all that much.

This isn't to say Windows is crap or bad, they just didn't have a history for longevity plus viruses were n are a problem for them vs Apple.

Neither company is perfect and in the end its about what the USER needs. Apple and MS have come a long way. Use whichever you like.
Because "the more you buy the more" they gain! Just keep buying! It just works!

Curious what you mean by this...
It means that Mac users were feeling happy and excited for years and didn't even know their shinny and stylish computers were technically obsolete. As the saying goes, you don't buy an Apple product for it's technical prowess, you buy it to make a statement: that you have come into money.

With all due respect bud. You're spouting the words of someone lacking in education regarding these things and coming forward with the traditional Apple, religious chant of 'Macs don't get viruses, windows do'. Or something close to those lines. It just doesn't work like that. Viruses are targeted at a larger group. Windows always had the largest user base, so coders targeted this larger user base, because there is little point targeting a smaller one when you're more likely to succeed targeting the masses.
Apple is just as vulnerable to viruses as any other platform. Their hardware is for the most part the same hardware that windows used over the years. Of course they are trying to change that now to lock it down even further with the customer and keep them in their pen, but you're basically paying for a badge and the right to spout their 'we don't get viruses cos apple said so' nonsense.
Anyone's free to choose what they want to use of course and if you want to pay Ferrari money for ford quality, that's just fine, but don't go pretending it's any better. I haven't seen a virus on any of my windows systems since around 2004 because I'm not clueless with how things work. One of those systems has just been 'retired' recently after 9 years constant, daily 12+ hours use and I didn't even do a refresh install for the past 7 years. No problems with it to this day. I've a little HP laptop that I bought in 2015 and stuck an SSD in it shortly after. Same thing, running fine on win 8.1, zero problems since and works as new.
I just don't recognise anything you're saying as being true in any way at all.
The only benefit to using a mac in the past, was for certain software that was only available on a mac. For instance, publishing software for magazines/newspapers, or music creation software for people in the music industry. That was the only thing that kept them selling in the early 1990's and without that they would have probably gone from the PC business altogether by now.

With all due respect bud. You're spouting the words of someone lacking in education regarding these things and coming forward with the traditional Apple, religious chant of 'Macs don't get viruses, windows do'. Or something close to those lines. It just doesn't work like that. Viruses are targeted at a larger group. Windows always had the largest user base, so coders targeted this larger user base, because there is little point targeting a smaller one when you're more likely to succeed targeting the masses.
Apple is just as vulnerable to viruses as any other platform. Their hardware is for the most part the same hardware that windows used over the years. Of course they are trying to change that now to lock it down even further with the customer and keep them in their pen, but you're basically paying for a badge and the right to spout their 'we don't get viruses cos apple said so' nonsense.
Anyone's free to choose what they want to use of course and if you want to pay Ferrari money for ford quality, that's just fine, but don't go pretending it's any better. I haven't seen a virus on any of my windows systems since around 2004 because I'm not clueless with how things work. One of those systems has just been 'retired' recently after 9 years constant, daily 12+ hours use and I didn't even do a refresh install for the past 7 years. No problems with it to this day. I've a little HP laptop that I bought in 2015 and stuck an SSD in it shortly after. Same thing, running fine on win 8.1, zero problems since and works as new.
I just don't recognise anything you're saying as being true in any way at all.
The only benefit to using a mac in the past, was for certain software that was only available on a mac. For instance, publishing software for magazines/newspapers, or music creation software for people in the music industry. That was the only thing that kept them selling in the early 1990's and without that they would have probably gone from the PC business altogether by now.
lol I have more of clue than you ever will. I never said Apple don't get viruses. Apple have a proven history of having a better longevity than Windows and having less of a virus issue. Those are actual facts. None of this means they don't have issues or don't get viruses, they simply have less.
Both imo are very good with what they do. I will always be a Windows guy but I also know about Apple. Not always great by any means. Apple found a niche with college students in '90s. Bill Gates helped Jobs by literally giving him money. Which is what saved Apple. What really saved MS in the long term was the government breaking up Microsoft '99. They became even bigger and more diverse as a company.

It means that Mac users were feeling happy and excited for years and didn't even know their shinny and stylish computers were technically obsolete. As the saying goes, you don't buy an Apple product for it's technical prowess, you buy it to make a statement: that you have come into money.
Apple is a trend setter, has been since the late '90s.
Apple users didn't care or need the latest, they needed a device that was better for them. Apple devices did that for them. Apple has come along way n have much better performance than ever before.

Back