The RedMagic 5G features a 144Hz display, Snapdragon 865, and can be pre-ordered for $579

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: We’ve seen smartphone manufacturers follow several trends over the years: non-removable batteries, shrinking bezels, notches. Now, it seems there’s a race to have the handset with the fastest screen refresh rate—a contest currently being won by ZTE sub-brand Nubia, whose RedMagic 5G phone is the first to feature a 144Hz display.

This isn’t Nubia’s initial foray into gaming smartphones with high refresh rate screens. Its RedMagic 3 from last year has a 90Hz display, but the company upped the ante with the RedMagic 5G, which uses a 6.5-inch 1080p OLED panel, up to 12GB of LPDDR5 RAM, 256GB of storage, and a 4,500mAh battery that can be fast-charged at 55W. Priced at $579 (8GB/128GB) or $649 (12GB/256GB), it’s also the cheapest phone to date to come with a Snapdragon 865 SoC.

The RedMagic 5G is no slouch in other areas, either. Its triple-lens rear camera setup features a 64MP Sony IMX686 sensor along with an 8MP ultra-wide-angle shooter and a 2MP macro lens. You also get an under-screen fingerprint reader, Android 10, Wi-Fi 6 support, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and an X55 modem, which, as its name suggests, enables 5G connectivity.

Like the RedMagic 3, the phone uses liquid cooling and an in-built fan to keep its internals chilly. The touch-sensitive shoulder buttons also return, as do the usual array of lights that are pretty much a standard with gaming phones.

While you’re unlikely to notice much difference between a 120Hz phone screen, such as those on the Galaxy S20 series, and a 144Hz display, the RedMagic 5 still offers bragging rights while being at least $500 cheaper than Samsung’s offerings.

The RedMagic 5 is being released in North America, the UK, mainland Europe, and other countries. It can be pre-ordered now, and will be available to buy on April 21.

Permalink to story.

I'll be interested to read any articles (besides the soft shelled easily offended everything is trolling according to Nick) on Techspot about 5G radiation.
There's folks in Britain burning 5G towers and others say animals that live near the towers are showing serious health concerns, like dead birds and insects near the tower.

LOL, 144hz display...yeah, even in gaming, you'll see the difference.

I love when they VIDEO two displays side by side. One at 60hz, the other at 90hz and show how much smoother the 90 is over the 60. Yeah, because the camera IS MORE SENSITIVE and can see the difference. I put my phone on 60, told people it was on 90 and they said how smooth and fluid it was.

I'll be interested to read any articles (besides the soft shelled easily offended everything is trolling according to Nick) on Techspot about 5G radiation.
There's folks in Britain burning 5G towers and others say animals that live near the towers are showing serious health concerns, like dead birds and insects near the tower.
*****s in Britain are setting fire to them because they read fake news and think the tech in them is causing coronavirus...

Back