The Samsung Gear S2 is getting an ultra-luxury version

midian182

Staff member

If you're a fan of smartwatches coated with precious stones and minerals, then you’ll probably like Samsung’s limited edition Gear S2, made in collaboration with Swiss Jeweller de Grisogono.

Unveiled at Baselworld 2016, the world’s largest watch and jewelry show, every part of this luxury - if slightly ostentatious - device is created from the most expensive materials. The 41mm case is made of rose gold and black DLC-coated stainless steel, and is set with over 100 white and black diamonds.

Of course, no mere regular watch strap would be suitable for a device such as this one, only a black strap made from de Grisogono’s signature galuchat skin will do.

Under all this jewelry lies a standard, Tizen-powered Gear S2, so you’ll get the same rotating bezel, heart rate monitor, and other features from the version that isn’t encrusted with gold and diamonds. It also comes with a couple of exclusive faces designed by de Grisogono that resemble some of its traditional watches.

“de Grisogono has always been associated with daring products and a visionary approach to High Jewellery and watches,” said Fawaz Gruosi, de Grisogono's founder and creative director. “Designing a connected watch with Samsung has been an incredible experience for both brands. Samsung brought to the table the best and most intuitive technology, while de Grisogono brought its glamorous design and craftsmanship expertise.”

A few years ago, Samsung announced that it was teaming up with Swarovski to produce special editions of the Korean giant's products. Swarovski for Samsung resulted in luxury versions of the Note 4, Gear S, Galaxy S5, and Gear Fit.

The Samsung Gear S2 by de Grisogono will be available this summer through both companies' retail channels. There’s no word on how much it will cost, but expect it to be very, very expensive.

Permalink to story.

This thing doesn't have to warn you of an impending stroke like Apples thing is supposed to, you'll just drop dead on the spot when you realize what you've just wasted your money on.

Thankfully, another worthless gadget that will never see a dime of my money, but as PT Barnum correctly stated "there is a fool born every minute" and many will be wearing these over priced toys .....

This thing doesn't have to warn you of an impending stroke like Apples thing is supposed to, you'll just drop dead on the spot when you realize what you've just wasted your money on.

You don't understand that these things priced at the ranges that they are, are for interested buyers with more of a salary than you. If you drove a very expensive car, you're just paying for the looks. Same with clothes, and this watch. Buy things that suit your range of income.

You don't understand that these things priced at the ranges that they are, are for interested buyers with more of a salary than you. If you drove a very expensive car, you're just paying for the looks. Same with clothes, and this watch. Buy things that suit your range of income.
I don't agree on the expensive car since that all depends on the car. With many high end car with price comes not only looks but performance and luxury, you pay for what you get if you are smart. There are definitely cars that are made for looks but the majority have great performance and looks while having the luxury that should come along with the price tag. With the cloths I will say that the right higher end clothes do make you look better (but that is the point of clothes) but they can also be so much more comfortable and durable than off the hanger clothing. There is a reason a lot of that stuff is priced high, if you know where to look you actually find things that are worth the money and do much more that just look good.

I don't agree on the expensive car since that all depends on the car. With many high end car with price comes not only looks but performance and luxury, you pay for what you get if you are smart. There are definitely cars that are made for looks but the majority have great performance and looks while having the luxury that should come along with the price tag. With the cloths I will say that the right higher end clothes do make you look better (but that is the point of clothes) but they can also be so much more comfortable and durable than off the hanger clothing. There is a reason a lot of that stuff is priced high, if you know where to look you actually find things that are worth the money and do much more that just look good.
There are two types of car buyers in the world, the type who buys a car to get from A to B and those who buy them to drive. I fall into the former camp these days although I was in the latter camp for a very long time. I don't spend a cent more than is necessary on cars nowadays... and I have three. I should really get rid of at least one.

Back