The specified service does not exist as an installed service

RLS032312

I am running Vista. I discovered this message while trying to turn on Network Discovery to set up a wireless connection between my computer and the printer. I am new to this site and cannot locate the rules for this forum- so I apologize if I am missing anything here. Any help is thoroughly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Can't do too much for you until you provide the details - - -

I'm not sure what details I am supposed to be providing. Are you able to point me in some sort of direction? I am trying to connect a printer wirelessly. I cannot open the Network Discovery to turn Network Discovery on so that my computer can discover the printer wirelessly. When I try to turn Network Discovery on, I am greeted with the following message: the specified service does not exist as an installed service. I also am unable to turn on or off my firewall. I am met with no error while attempting to do this- it is just that nothing happens.

After hours of googling, I am pretty sure this is a result of some malware or backdoor trojan or what have you.

I would be super appreciative if you, or anyone else, might be able to help me provide the details that are necessary for you, or anyone else, to better understand the issues I am having.

Thank you.

1. When I try to turn Network Discovery on, I am greeted with the following message: the specified service does not exist as an installed service.
  2. I also am unable to turn on or off my firewall. I am met with no error while attempting to do this- it is just that nothing happens.
I guess you attempted Network Discovery from the Services and the Firewall directly from the control panel. Having both fail to open does sound like an infection of some sort.

Help yourself by gathering the following information:
Version of Windows {Vista what? Home,Pro,Ultimate} and the SP level

Do you use an Admin enabled logon daily? ( if so, now you know why that's a bad idea)

Consider using a System Restore point back to some prior level.

I'm not sure what details I am supposed to be providing. Are you able to point me in some sort of direction?

certainly. This post used to be permanent top of the 'windows' forum. It's gone elsewhere; maybe a mod will move it back.... https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/guide-to-making-a-good-post-thread.33297/

No need to be too pedantic about it however, just use common sense, and think 'what might my mate Alf need to know to help me?' Your second post was just about spot on.....

Back