The Switch is now Nintendo's best-selling home console ever, reaches 100 million sales...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? The Nintendo Switch has broken two more records. Not only has it surpassed 100 million sales faster than any other console in history, but it’s also become Nintendo’s best-selling home console ever. The news comes in the middle of a chip crisis that has impacted the production of many electronic products, including Sony’s PlayStation 5.

Nintendo’s latest financial results state that the new Switch OLED got off to a “good start” following its launch last October, selling 10.67 million units in Q3, which Nintendo classes as October to December. That brings the hybrid machine’s total sales to 103.54 million since it launched in 2017.

It means the Switch has now surpassed the Wii’s lifetime sales of 101.63 million to become Nintendo’s best-selling home console of all time. It’s also reached 100 million units sold faster than any other console in history—four years, eleven months—beating the record held by the PS4, which took five years and seven months to hit that figure.

The news comes a day after Sony cut its sales forecast for the PlayStation 5 due to the ongoing chip shortage, impacting the console’s production. In December, Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa warned that the Switch could start seeing similar availability issues this year.

Despite the good news, Switch sales were down 8% YoY. And after Nintendo lowered its Switch sales forecast in November from 25.5 million to 24 million due to the semiconductor shortage, it has once again revised that figure down, by another million to 23 million.

In the area of software, Pokémon remasters Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl were the Switch’s best sellers over the last nine months with 13.97 million total units sold. It was followed by Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (7.96 million), Mario Party Superstars (5.43 million), and Animal Crossing: New Horizons (4.99 million).

Permalink to story.

People thought it would be another Wii U? Really?

But to their credit, they have released plenty of decent games for it (don't think the Wii U had a great lineup).
I just wish they'd treat their customers a bit better...

It's pointless to do this sort of Early hand-waving PR BS , when you ignore the fact that Nintendo already did it:

Wii total lifetime sales PLUS DS total lifetime sales = 255 million.

Nintendo cheated by combining portable + fixed console into a single platform
- They have a long way to go before this thing tops the 200 million mark (let-alone the 255 for the best-selling Nintendo era ever!)

Go away folks, the celebration event is like five years early :D

Last edited:
It's a brilliant machine honestly. Really fills the gap of (almost) having the full power of a home console in a handheld, with an amazing library. Even though I also have a PC and PS5, I still have plenty of reasons to play my Switch.

Despite it not being a graphical power house like the other consoles, it is one of the best consoles I have ever owned.
One of its great features is that it's region free. And it's extremely easy to use. It's menu is not as convoluted as Xbox and PS.

However, I still have a PSP in use (lots of games); a PSVita (lots of games). AND PS2, PS3, PS4. So the question of the best consoles doesn't interest me much - I haven't played many decent games yet.

It's pointless to do this sort of Early hand-waving PR BS , when you ignore the fact that Nintendo already did it:

Wii total lifetime sales PLUS DS total lifetime sales = 255 million.

Nintendo cheated by combining portable + fixed console into a single platform
- They have a long way to go before this thing tops the 200 million mark (let-alone the 255 for the best-selling Nintendo era ever!)

Go away folks, the celebration event is like five years early :D
There's is some truth to it. However, you can't combine two devices into one and expect sales to be the same. For one, you loose functionality. People who want just a console won't buy it. People who want to buy ultraportable gaming device also won't buy. So that leaves people who are ok with cons of a combined device.

Next, DS would not sell like that if it there released today. Smartphones killed off a lot of demand for discreet portable gaming device.

Finally, price point. DS were cheap. Switch is a far more capable console, and hence far more expensive. Higher price = less buyers.

So yes, bar should be higher for switch, but it's a mistake to expect combined sales as a metric for success. Though 200M for switch should be possible.

Actually, there are a few startups that show promise.
Microsoft has their Xbox consoles and Sony their PlayStation brand.
Neither one of these is portable anymore (and even though you stream games to your phone , neither one is offering anything as Ready-to-play as a switch or Steam Deck.)

I enjoy my RGB10 portable emulation console running Linux , but even I know this is a tiny market compare to Switch (outside China)

Neither one of these is portable anymore (and even though you stream games to your phone , neither one is offering anything as Ready-to-play as a switch or Steam Deck.)

I enjoy my RGB10 portable emulation console running Linux , but even I know this is a tiny market compare to Switch (outside China)
I'm not sure that I get why the Switch wouldn't count. It is a console that connects to a TV. That it can break down to a handheld is a bonus.

I'm not sure that I get why the Switch wouldn't count. It is a console that connects to a TV. That it can break down to a handheld is a bonus.
dunno wtf post you just read - I was saying the switch is too entrenched for xbox streaming to phone / dedicated emulation handheld to mare serious dent in its market-share!.

I was also poking fun at the fact that Sony dedicated handhelds are completely gone,and funny-enough,the Steam Deck has replaced it as the new overpowered beefcake!

dunno wtf post you just read - I was saying the switch is too entrenched for xbox streaming to phone / dedicated emulation handheld to mare serious dent in its market-share!.

I was also poking fun at the fact that Sony dedicated handhelds are completely gone,and funny-enough,the Steam Deck has replaced it as the new overpowered beefcake!
Could it be that the conversation went to a comment that the Switch shouldn't count since it was also a handheld? And that your first sentence I quoted, you said "neither one of these is portable anymore."
And that was after you said, "Nintendo cheated by combining portable + fixed console into a single platform."

not-you-not.gif

Back