The ultimate gaming CPU and Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glitzyglamgirl

Im about to build a gaming PC, and so far have picked up a rather lush looking ATX case with a 500 watt power supply, and I'm figuring the CPU and Motherboard are the most important aspects.....so what do i go for?

I have read some good reviews about the Core Due E8400, if I was to go for this, what would be the best motherboard to go with it? Is there a better CPU out there?

Budget is not an issue but not in silly realms either, im looking for gaming performance over cost.

Gaming PC wise I would say and most other people will probably agree that the most important aspect is the graphics card(s).

I would start by taking a look at the TechSpot buying guide.

Or ther is also Tech Reports buying guide, personally at this point it time I would be buying something very similar to this if I was in the market for a new PC.

A good-looking case does not mean the PSU in it is of good quality as well. A PSU that supplies clean power and is efficient is more important than how it looks. A bad PSU has the potential to ruin the entire PC if it blows. Make sure your PSU is a good one. FSP, Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, Corsair and Silverstone are all excellent PSU companies, among others.

As for the E8400, it is the best bang-for-your-buck CPU available now. Pair it with a motherboard like the ASUS P5Q and you'd have a great system on your hands.

I have settled on the E8400 and will have a look at the motherboard you recommend.

The PSU that came with the case is a Powertek KC 500, input 115V/230V AC 60/50Hz. I have no idea what those figures mean, is this any good or should I buy a different one?

Ok thanks, I'll have a look for another. Out of the ones mentioned above, (FSP, Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, Corsair and Silverstone) what should I be looking for in terms of specs? I have no idea what a sata connection is so i'm off to google it now...

Thanks for helping this noob :)

There is too much to tell you!
I am being truthful, I believe you are best to either:

Learn lots and lots, over a reasonable amount of time (~1 Month or more)
or
Put your trust into someone that knows best (but you should not ask millions of questions of them, unless you want to spend some time learning, yourself.

Please look up Sata and CPU and Cooling, and things like that
Or just settle for a leading brand (like Dell, so forth) Actually have a look at the leading brand websites ie www.dell.com www.hp.com and so on

glitzyglamgirl said:
Out of the ones mentioned above, (FSP, Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, Corsair and Silverstone) what should I be looking for in terms of specs?
You should be looking at the +12V amperage. Any decent PSU maker usually has documentation on their website that states the maximum power supplied on the +12V rails. It's usually given as a wattage rating, and dividing that by 12 gives you the total amperage on the +12V rails combined. This is only for multi-rail PSUs. Single rail PSUs will directly state the amperage rating on the rail. The amperage you're looking for depends on the parts you buy, so a system with a single powerful video card would need from 30-40A minimum, while a high-end dual-GPU system will draw about 60-70A or so.

You should be looking at the +12V amperage. Any decent PSU maker usually has documentation on their website that states the maximum power supplied on the +12V rails. It's usually given as a wattage rating, and dividing that by 12 gives you the total amperage on the +12V rails combined. This is only for multi-rail PSUs. Single rail PSUs will directly state the amperage rating on the rail. The amperage you're looking for depends on the parts you buy, so a system with a single powerful video card would need from 30-40A minimum, while a high-end dual-GPU system will draw about 60-70A or so.

Thank you thats very helpful :)

Kimsland....I understand completely what you are saying. I have taken on the challenge of building a PC as a way of furthering my IT knowledge, which is pretty good when it comes to PC's that are already built lol, this is the next step. I have done a lot of research over the last couple of months and am ok with most of it...its just which bits go best with other bits I may need a little help with, IYKWIM :)

I'm happy with that :)
Thank-you for not taking my words the wrong way too.
Also, we all started somewhere, I say continue on learning (computers are everywhere now)

It's all about which part suits which hardware (I find this part the hardest myself, and therefore stand back when these questions are asked)

Good luck :grinthumb and continue to ask for help and guidance

Glitzy, you've made a great decision in learning how to build your own PC. There are so many options in the components markets that it makes buying a brand PC seem like choosing the color and fabric of your straightjacket.

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but since this is your first system you might consider going with something mid-level. It'll still be good enough to play games, you'll learn just as much building it, and any "I should have done this instead" afterthoughts won't be so expensive. Of course, YMMV.

I had to take a break from buying components for a while, but now I have some spare cash I am back in the game :)

Here is what I have so far:

Core Duo E8400 Processor
ASUS P5Q Motherboard
Antec Neo HE 430 GB High Efficiency 430W PSU

I am going to use the hard-drive, DVD drive and network card from my current PC for a while...if they arn't up to scratch I will replace them then.

So.....my next items to purchase are the graphics and audio cards.

Recommendations would be good, but for the graphics I am considering the Nvidia GeForce range - should I be looking for any particular specs? I am looking at around the £60 mark, no more than that.

Is there anything for a PC build I have forgotten?

Many thanks x

You can use the onboard audio on the motherboard, it's quite good.

As for the video card, this is perfect for your budget, although if you can spend that much, £100 would get you an HD 4830 which is able to almost match the performance of a 9800GTX.

I did it! I did it! Sorry I am a little over exited lol

Anyway.....

There was a couple of hitches...namely realising putting my old HD in a new build just would not work and having to get a copy of windows and a new HD (got a cheap OEM copy that worked perfectly) and not having enough SATA cables, but a few trips to Maplins and all sorted.

I finally got everything loaded up and working, and tried a few spec hungry games - perfect!

I am so pleased and proud :)

Anyway, I am not looking for congratulations, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your invaluable advise and suggestions. I cant tell you how pleased I am with me new machine....and I now know what a jumper pin is lol

Thanks all xxx

(Sorry if this seems a little over-dramatic - this was a huge challenge for me and I am so proud :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back