The US is suing Edward Snowden for his book profits

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? To say the US government isn’t a fan of Edward Snowden is an understatement. Now, the man Donald Trump once called a “traitor” who “should be executed” is once again being pursued by the Department of Justice, which is suing the whistleblower for all the profits from the sale of his book.

Back in 2013, Snowden was hired by NSA contractor Booz Allen Hamilton. He later leaked top-secret documents on global surveillance programs run by the NSA to media outlets, which led to the DoJ charging him with two counts of violating the Espionage Act. He has been living in exile in Russia ever since.

This week has seen Snowden publish his memoir—Permanent Record—which has resulted in the US government suing him for “violation of the non-disclosure agreements he signed with both CIA and NSA.” The new civil suit is separate from the criminal charges brought against Snowden.

The suit adds that by not submitting the book to the agencies for review before publication, Snowden is “in violation of his express obligations under the agreements he signed.”

The DoJ said in a statement that it doesn't want to stop the distribution or publication of the book, which is currently fifth in Amazon’s bestseller list; instead, it seeks to recover all proceeds earned by Snowden.

The US is also suing the book’s publishers solely to ensure that no funds are transferred to Snowden, or at his direction, while the court resolves the claims.

“Intelligence information should protect our nation, not provide personal profit,” said G. Zachary Terwilliger, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia. “This lawsuit will ensure that Edward Snowden receives no monetary benefits from breaching the trust placed in him.”

Permalink to story.

I can't really decide about Snowden. Exposing unconstitutional, blatantly illegal actions by your own government is one thing. Leaking information about other legal (in the U.S.A) spying in foreign nations is another. Doing it in foreign press rather than doing it to Congress strikes me as *****ic and criminal.

I sit on the fence. Everyone wants their domestic privacy protected, but many of those same people will agree that extensive spying on other countries is a necessary evil and probably accept it. It's a given. That was entirely the point of the organisation he agreed to work for. The situation is incongruous to say the least.

His actions helped create the (temporary) freedom act, but damaged his country at the same time. He should probably be punished, but not destroyed for life.

"I can't really decide about Snowden. Exposing unconstitutional, blatantly illegal actions by your own government is one thing. Leaking information about other legal (in the U.S.A) spying in foreign nations is another. Doing it in foreign press rather than doing it to Congress strikes me as *****ic and criminal.".

America was a country with legalized slavery - who ended slavery - and then passed laws to segregate and persecute Blacks and women.

America has become a country where the congress itself passes unconstitutional laws against life and liberty - specifically the patriot act, rendition, enhanced interrogation (torture)...

A police force that amounts to little more than state-sanctioned murderers.

Frankly, I'm not surprised he did what he did or the way he did it - and I'm not surprised he'd run to Russia or China to avoid the unjust American justice system. Assange will probably end up like Epstein for example.

I just wish he could have leaked more important and sensitive info to end conspiracy theories.

America was a country with legalized slavery - who ended slavery - and then passed laws to segregate and persecute Blacks and women.

America has become a country where the congress itself passes unconstitutional laws against life and liberty - specifically the patriot act, rendition, enhanced interrogation (torture)...

Frankly, I'm not surprised he did what he did or the way he did it - and I'm not surprised he'd run to Russia or China to avoid the unjust American justice system. Assange will probably end up like Epstein for example.

I just wish he could have leaked more important and sensitive info to end conspiracy theories.

It's a fair point that the law can change and frequently does. It's not difficult to run afoul of the law, since it is imperfect. It's downright ridiculous at times. But it's also all we have besides anarchy. You agree to live under those institutions while you reside in such a country.

I can't stress enough though, the guy went to work for the NSA! He went in there eyes open, knowing exactly what they do and why they exist. Leaking the information in this manner seemed naive, and it seemed narcissistic.

I don't think he's a terrible criminal. Neither do I think he is a hero.

Doing what he did, he would surely understand the consequences. If you do this then I think you have to leave the country and stay away for life. If you're really a patriot (as he claims) but you don't believe that you can be handled justly inside your own country then it is probably best you don't come back. I can't see how he can expect any more than that.

Now, the man Donald Trump once called a “traitor” who “should be executed” is once again being pursued by the Department of Justice,
This sentence is worded as Donald Trump being the traitor (that should be executed), and being pursued by the Department of Justice. While some may see it that way. That has nothing to do with the topic of the article. I can't make out why Donald Trump was even mentioned.

This sentence is worded as Donald Trump being the traitor (that should be executed), and being pursued by the Department of Justice. While some may see it that way. That has nothing to do with the topic of the article. I can't make out why Donald Trump was even mentioned.

The DOJ is headed by the Attorney General, who is nominated by the President. They're pretty close-knit, and the President could very well be influencing their heavy continued interest in Snowden.

Where is the lawsuit that will ensure that U.S. Government receives no monetary benefits from breaching the trust placed in it?
Yeah they probably didn't just spy on us, they probably sold off the data mining to highest bidder... Let certain people know when certain stocks were going up and down. Probably more of a money grab in the end then anything for our protection. Just like everything else.... And people said zucker was paranoid for taping over his mics for god knows how long 10+ years. In the late 90s my friends step dad was in the air force for 30 years and told us the gov can see everything you do online, but he also had some UFO theories lol.

As was noted by JFK so long ago .... the USA is becoming more like Russia and Russia is becoming more like the USA .... the only difference is that Russia went back to it's old ways ......

Few years in prison and a medal for being a good citizen is my sentence for Jon Snow Den
But definitely not life sentence on the wall.

Russia was most certainly not Snowden's first choice but the US applied pressure (by very questionable means) to flee to a country much closer to home. You need to watch some of his Youtube interviews and lectures to find that he would agree to return to face charges if he was allowed a fair trial.

Back