The US now asks foreign visitors to hand over their social media details

midian182

Staff member

The Department of Homeland Security has started requesting that certain foreign travelers hand over their social media details when visiting the US. The controversial new scheme was first suggested over a year ago and was finally approved this week.

The US Customs and Border Protection unit of the DHS officially submitted its proposal to add a social media identifier to arrival forms back in June. The plans were later slammed by tech firms and rights groups in an open letter. "This program would invade individual privacy and imperil freedom of expression while being ineffective and prohibitively expensive to implement and maintain," stated the message, which was signed by representatives from Facebook, Google, and Twitter.

The objections didn’t succeed in stopping the policy coming into effect. As of Tuesday, anyone who enters the US temporarily without a visa through the the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) process will face the social media section of the form, which is marked as optional.

A drop-down menu on the online form allows visitors to “enter information associated with your online presence—Provider/Platform—Social media identifier.” It includes major sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

A spokeswoman for Customs and Border Protection told Politico that the new policy was meant to “identify potential threats.” The agency has said that it wouldn’t prohibit visitors from entering the country if they refused to provide their social media information.

The American Civil Liberties Union disagrees with agency’s claim. The group says people from Arab and Muslim communities will feel forced into handing over the information, at which point their  “usernames, posts, contacts and social networks will be exposed to intense scrutiny." The way the government collects and stores the data is also being questioned by rights groups.

In addition to the potential privacy risks posed by the new policy, there’s also the fact that it’s unlikely to have much success when it comes to identifying potential terrorists. It’s easy to create fake accounts in advance, and travelers aren’t required to make their posts public once they hand over their usernames.

Permalink to story.

Now that Obama's gone and President Trump leads the way, It's time to finally get more serious about how we handle foreign visitors - especially from regions where we have troubles.

Health of the public, specifically needs special monitoring to reduce the likelihood of the spread of certain diseases by the unvaccinated.

Ebola should have never been able to spread at all, once it was recognized.

Border Control is a legitimate function of the US government and now that Obama's gone, it's time everyone realizes that.

Trollbait just above :D

I like the notion that it's "optional", such as: we strongly encourage you to fill this form, otherwise you can kiss your entry into the country goodbye...(even if they claim otherwise)

Apart from that, I want to see the first real terrorist they get with these measures. The only thing that's going to happen, is the DHS drowning in too much information, and not being able to find the needle in an ever growing haystack.

Btw: there was no ebola vaccine when the disease broke out in 2015.

I'm guessing only brown people will be asked for their social media details... Or anyone who looks a bit foreign... Or anyone who has a long beard, except if you have a guitar with you, (the zz top exemption).

I'm guessing only brown people will be asked for their social media details... Or anyone who looks a bit foreign... Or anyone who has a long beard, except if you have a guitar with you, (the zz top exemption).

This would certainly be pragmatic. Though, the Somalis should be forking over their info too.

No one has to fork over anything - but anyway, it's not something new that the US abuses the people's of the world.

When concern trolls like you raise as much ruckus over Arabs trading slaves, Africans performing ethnic cleansings, and Asians engaging in sex trafficking, then maybe we can have a conversation about the inhumane nature of asking for someone's social media information before granting them entry into our country.

Until then, you can cry me a river. Or a wall. I'd much rather you cry me a wall.

The assumption is that people have these online presences with those specific companies, sure they're huge but take China for example they have their own social media, I noticed VK is on there but thats Russian, how do they think they'll go about looking at peoples posts, contacts etc given that Russian laws stipulates all Russian data on their civilians would be located in Russia. (BTW I did notice "Other"). LinkedIn got banned in Russia recently because they violated that law. America simply can't stop their imperialist ways can they...

When concern trolls like you raise as much ruckus over Arabs trading slaves, Africans performing ethnic cleansings, and Asians engaging in sex trafficking, then maybe we can have a conversation about the inhumane nature of asking for someone's social media information before granting them entry into our country.

Until then, you can cry me a river. Or a wall. I'd much rather you cry me a wall.

Concern troll, lol. I wasn't concerned, I was just pointing out how the US, being one of the leading terrorist states in the world (since WW2), often abuses people. That's not to say they're the only ones who do, but that you guys tend to believe in your own exceptionalism and innocence. Which, if you know anything about history, is just laughable.

For a "democratic" and "free" country, it's simply a **** move, asking for people's social media info. It's an invasion of not just their privacy, but their human dignity, depending on how much they've shared on those media.It's already a disgrace, with all the security-theatre in airports. Taking off shoes, strangers going through your bags, throwing out your stuff, body scans, the long queues and all the other jazz.

But now that we're talking about trading slaves, ethnic cleansings and other fun stuff - I wonder if you agree that your country has enabled many such atrocities. You could, if you dared seek other opinions, ask the Cubans, Chileans, Guatemalans, Chinese, Vietnamese, Iraqis, Afghans and many others, what your country has been doing. Because chances are, you don't know it. Not if you've only been listening to the MSM.

Wonder if you've seen or heard of this:

"Gallup International’s poll of 68 countries for 2014 found the US as the greatest threat to peace in the world, voted three times more dangerous to world peace than the next country."

But no. Keep pretending others are the main problem lol.

Due to probability, unexpectedly rightfully so.

This will never work, waste of time... Every country has every right to fully investigate those visiting and seeking permanent residence. The country doesn't need to ask to investigate you. I'm not just referring to the US either, I mean ANY country.

Concern troll, lol. I wasn't concerned, I was just pointing out how the US, being one of the leading terrorist states in the world (since WW2), often abuses people. That's not to say they're the only ones who do, but that you guys tend to believe in your own exceptionalism and innocence. Which, if you know anything about history, is just laughable.

For a "democratic" and "free" country, it's simply a **** move, asking for people's social media info. It's an invasion of not just their privacy, but their human dignity, depending on how much they've shared on those media.It's already a disgrace, with all the security-theatre in airports. Taking off shoes, strangers going through your bags, throwing out your stuff, body scans, the long queues and all the other jazz.

But now that we're talking about trading slaves, ethnic cleansings and other fun stuff - I wonder if you agree that your country has enabled many such atrocities. You could, if you dared seek other opinions, ask the Cubans, Chileans, Guatemalans, Chinese, Vietnamese, Iraqis, Afghans and many others, what your country has been doing. Because chances are, you don't know it. Not if you've only been listening to the MSM.

Wonder if you've seen or heard of this:

"Gallup International’s poll of 68 countries for 2014 found the US as the greatest threat to peace in the world, voted three times more dangerous to world peace than the next country."

But no. Keep pretending others are the main problem lol.

Re: U.S. interference in other countries...

The neocons and faux liberals who advocate for U.S. interventionism should be deported along with the illegals. The hoaxing mainstream press can go with them.

Re: U.S. history since WWII and your poll...

Irrelevant. This discussion isn't about America's role in the world or how it's perceived. It's about how we handle foreigners trying to enter our country.

Restricting immigration and placing a ban on admittance for persons from specific regions is about stemming demographic change (immigration) and terrorism (bans on the basis of origin and belief). I realize you have difficulty separating the actions of power players (see: Washington) from the will of their respective peoples, but if you think any one of us cares about what the rest of the world feels its entitled to with respect to our borders because of the actions of the very people we seek to remove from power, you've got a long way to go before even remotely understanding what is taking place across the western world.

The political establishments in the United States and throughout Europe have sold out their people and taken advantage of lesser nations to the detriment of everyone involved. If we had our way, they'd all be in prison or worse.

That having been said, concern over perceptions of "dignity" end when truck attacks, bombings, rapes, and no-go zones begin.

Re: U.S. interference in other countries...

The neocons and faux liberals who advocate for U.S. interventionism should be deported along with the illegals. The hoaxing mainstream press can go with them.

Re: U.S. history since WWII and your poll...

Irrelevant. This discussion isn't about America's role in the world or how it's perceived. It's about how we handle foreigners trying to enter our country.

Restricting immigration and placing a ban on admittance for persons from specific regions is about stemming demographic change (immigration) and terrorism (bans on the basis of origin and belief). I realize you have difficulty separating the actions of power players (see: Washington) from the will of their respective peoples, but if you think any one of us cares about what the rest of the world feels its entitled to with respect to our borders because of the actions of the very people we seek to remove from power, you've got a long way to go before even remotely understanding what is taking place across the western world.

The political establishments in the United States and throughout Europe have sold out their people and taken advantage of lesser nations to the detriment of everyone involved. If we had our way, they'd all be in prison or worse.

That having been said, concern over perceptions of "dignity" end when truck attacks, bombings, rapes, and no-go zones begin.

At least we can agree on jail for them. Give Hillary a nice 4x4 too please.

It's just funny that this very discussion on immigration, was definitely started in part because the US keeps illegally invading and messing with ME countries, leading to people committing acts of crime and refugee flows and thus a response as ludicrous as this, regarding the checking of people's social media.

Personally, I think it's time for americans to start using those guns for something other than killing each other and more for the uprising/revolution kinda stuff lol. After all, any gun-debate with an american, eventually leads to the argument that "it's for protection against tyranny". Well, tyranny has arrived bros, sooooo uhm.

not being able to find the needle in an ever growing haystack.

Ergo, a ban on Muslim entry.
What a bunch of crap. Who says that muslims could not just refuse to list their religion or lie about it - especially those extremely rare few who would be potentially problematic? Religion is fluid, and can change at any time whether or not such change is truly inspired. Ergo I call bullsh!t on this bit of short-sightedness, muslim entry ban, and muslim registration.

Somehow it seems to me that people think that those extremely rare few who are problematic are stupid. They are not and this is why this whole policy is total crap. Note it is optional and not required. Those extremely rare few who would be problematic are never going to openly admit it when attempting to gain entry to the US. And, there will be those who decline to provide such information on the basis of principle alone even though they have no ill intent.

The new administration will reach heights of paranoia, stupidity, and fear that have never been seen before in a US administration. This policy is the start.

Last edited:
What a bunch of crap. Who says that muslims could not just refuse to list their religion or lie about it - especially those extremely rare few who would be potentially problematic? Religion is fluid, and can change at any time whether or not such change is truly inspired. Ergo I call bullsh!t on this bit of short-sightedness, muslim entry ban, and muslim registration.

Somehow it seems to me that people think that those extremely rare few who are problematic are stupid. They are not and this is why this whole policy is total crap. Note it is optional and not required. Those extremely rare few who would be problematic are never going to openly admit it when attempting to gain entry to the US. And, there will be those who decline to provide such information on the basis of principle alone even though they have no ill intent.

The new administration will reach heights of paranoia, stupidity, and fear that have never been seen before in a US administration. This policy is the start.
Maybe it'll be just like during WW2. Just search for Japanese internment camps 1942 and it'll tell you all about those so-called "rights" americans have. Japanese people were imprisoned without question, they had no right to a lawyer, no legal recourse whatsoever. It was only because they happened to be Japanese, while Japan was being fought.

Now that Obama's gone and President Trump leads the way, It's time to finally get more serious about how we handle foreign visitors - especially from regions where we have troubles.
About the only thing that Trump will do is implement policies that give his businesses an advantage.

About the only thing that Trump will do is implement policies that give his businesses an advantage.

That is no doubt a possibility but he made it s point to mention that he isn't going to do that. So let's just wait and see... And if all he does is help himself over the next four years; those who voted him in better swallow their pride and vote his *** out. Personally I didn't vote for him (nor Hillary) but if I had, and I saw that he didn't keep his promises then I would have no problem voting him out. Unfortunately I have a feeling a majority of the people who voted for him are equally blind as those who voted for Hillary.

Maybe it'll be just like during WW2. Just search for Japanese internment camps 1942 and it'll tell you all about those so-called "rights" americans have. Japanese people were imprisoned without question, they had no right to a lawyer, no legal recourse whatsoever. It was only because they happened to be Japanese, while Japan was being fought.
I see you limit who can view your complete profile. Could that be so the rest of us can't point out you country's faux pas and foibles?

I hoping if you ever try to get into this country, you'll have the ballz to put down Techspot as one of your, "social media presences".

If it weren't for the US, there wouldn't be a France today, and the same holds true for most of Europe. And well, if it weren't for Russia, there wouldn't be a "Warsaw Pact", which BTW, needed to be dissolved. But yet, NATO still abides. Which in case you're unaware, consists entirely of self governing democracies.

So, the next time your country's in a conflict, try calling ISIS for military aid. Had an earthquake? You know the answer there. Give Iran a shout out for some hospital ships. Oh, and good luck with that. (y)

As far as invading Afghanistan goes, that was a blunder. But then again, there isn't anything there worth wasting a perfectly good nuke on. You wouldn't really do much other than ridding the world of a few dozen religious zealots who want the world as it was around 700 AD, and some nasty looking fat women in black bags. Oops sorry, I mean, "burkas".

Then too, perhaps we should copy Germany's immigration policy. I have an idea, let's call Andrea Merkel and see how that's working out for her.:p

That is no doubt a possibility but he made it s point to mention that he isn't going to do that. So let's just wait and see... And if all he does is help himself over the next four years; those who voted him in better swallow their pride and vote his *** out. Personally I didn't vote for him (nor Hillary) but if I had, and I saw that he didn't keep his promises then I would have no problem voting him out. Unfortunately I have a feeling a majority of the people who voted for him are equally blind as those who voted for Hillary.
No, I think all the "non (color) blind voters", went for Obama. In fact, up to 90%, the deeper into social entitlement territory you went...

Back