The US warns it will hack Russia's infrastructure if it interferes with the election

midian182

Staff member

Last month, the US Intelligence Community blamed the Russian government for a series of high-profile cyberattacks that were apparently aimed at influencing this week’s election. Now, American officials have warned that any attempts by the country to interfere directly with the vote itself will result in a US attack on key Russian systems.

Quoting “a senior intelligence official and top-secret documents,” an NBC News report claims that US military hackers have already penetrated Russia’s electric grid, telecommunications network, and the Kremlin’s command systems. The preparations are being made in the event of an attack that disrupts the US election “in a significant way.”

Officials have said that they do not anticipate a full digital attack from agents acting on behalf of the Russian government, but they do expect some “cyber mischief,” such as the release of fake documents and other forms of misinformation. There are also concerns over a possible attempt to slow down Americans’ internet access on election day, which could, for example, result in some people being unable to search the web for directions to their nearest polling station.

The extent of the US’ cyberwarfare capabilities is unknown, though military officials often say they are the most advanced in the world. The threat of retaliation for election interference has reportedly been delivered to Russia through back channels.

Russia has responded to the “unprecedented, insolent” US warning with a threat of its own. A spokesman said that “given such an aggressive, unpredictable line, we have to take measures to protect our interests, somehow hedge the risks….such unpredictability is dangerous for the whole world.”

It’s going to be an interesting week.

Permalink to story.

This is a perpetual problem for the US. We constantly threaten without backing up the threat. The "how to" of dealing with Russia has not changed in over 100 years. They only recognize demonstrated strength, not threats. The best way to demonstrate our strength is to get them a good dose now, and remind them that this is in answer to their many hacks of political systems, industrial systems and governmental systems. Part of Putin's appeal is his boasting. Slam him once, very publicly and make it clear to the Russian people that they next one will be considerably larger, then you'll get his attention. Give him warning, then start shooting down planes that violate airspace, sink ships that pass within that 13 mile limit and let them know this country isn't all hot air, but is very much an agent of democracy not to be trifled with. It also sends a not so subtle message message the Chinese ....

This is a perpetual problem for the US. We constantly threaten without backing up the threat. The "how to" of dealing with Russia has not changed in over 100 years. They only recognize demonstrated strength, not threats. The best way to demonstrate our strength is to get them a good dose now, and remind them that this is in answer to their many hacks of political systems, industrial systems and governmental systems. Part of Putin's appeal is his boasting. Slam him once, very publicly and make it clear to the Russian people that they next one will be considerably larger, then you'll get his attention. Give him warning, then start shooting down planes that violate airspace, sink ships that pass within that 13 mile limit and let them know this country isn't all hot air, but is very much an agent of democracy not to be trifled with. It also sends a not so subtle message message the Chinese ....

Great way to escalate our current situation with them. Shows of force only work for countries with leadership, which we don't have.

Cool thing about a war with the Russians or the Chinese is you wouldn't even need a cable subscription to witness it. If they responded by hacking your power grids your TV wouldn't work anyway.

Be careful what you wish for.

Uncle Al, you may be tired of your life, but I would prefer on living.
America has NO idea what war is - NONE. ...and attacking countries that can barley wipe their own butts is not a war - that's bullying.

and "beating them harder than they have ever been beat before" is kinda false seeing how russia has never been beat (militarily speaking) - although their economy sucks.

So attacking russia means we will all die - so don't let the media continue to brainwash you.

#1 WIKILEAKS hacked Clinton's server - which should have never existed - and then used that "evidence" against her.

Private server's are not the grade of encryption that the government could have ensured.

#2 Hillary committed a crime. Even if you give her the benefit of the doubt about the email server - which existed to HIDE her information from the American public (the information is official and is public record) , she attempted to obstruct justice and destroy evidence (criminal acts).

I find it amazing that the DNC can pivot from the fact that the email server was illegal, and that a crime was committed (destroying government property ) so they can cast "blame on Russia".

The Russian's didn't create the server. They also didn't make the data up.

In fact, the Russians are doing a better job than the FBI is.

Remember the phrase "don't poke the bear"? Well the bear has gotten a lot bigger while the sleeping giant has shrunk to the, well more like a sleeping pill. The US is no longer the power it once was and the people don't know half of what their government has been doing all these years.

It’s going to be an interesting week.
It's going to be an atrocious week for everyone.

I am 35. I lived through Bush's administration.

I worked in the WTC right up till 9.1.11 - when I had to return to school for Advanced Chemistry classes.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing scares me anymore.

I can deal with Trump or Clinton.

Both are horrible people.

A sociopath megalomaniac loudmouth bully?

or A sociopath, pathological liar, criminal who happens to be a woman?

There is no real choice.

But let's all just be happy that that communist Sanders didn't get in.

I believe that low voter turnout, anger about Obamacare and lack of voter enthusiasm may do Hillary in. There are many people planning protest votes for Johnson and Stein.

Johnson received about 5% already and Stein is around 4%.

That's a pretty dangerous 9% (or so) for Hillary to lose.

We'll have to wait and see.

As for the Russians...they are only exposing the weaknesses in our security. It's up to us to patch them.

#1 WIKILEAKS hacked Clinton's server - which should have never existed - and then used that "evidence" against her.

Private server's are not the grade of encryption that the government could have ensured.

#2 Hillary committed a crime. Even if you give her the benefit of the doubt about the email server - which existed to HIDE her information from the American public (the information is official and is public record) , she attempted to obstruct justice and destroy evidence (criminal acts).

I find it amazing that the DNC can pivot from the fact that the email server was illegal, and that a crime was committed (destroying government property ) so they can cast "blame on Russia".

The Russian's didn't create the server. They also didn't make the data up.

In fact, the Russians are doing a better job than the FBI is.

#2 except there is nothing of value in the emails. The FBI already gave her a slap on the wrist for housing a private email server, I mean its not like they weren't monitoring all the emails from the account anyway. What do you think the NSA does all the time?

I will be really surprised if they find anything of value in the emails on the server, this whole story is just a sideline to take the spotlight off the orange buffoon running for office.

#2 except there is nothing of value in the emails. The FBI already gave her a slap on the wrist for housing a private email server, I mean its not like they weren't monitoring all the emails from the account anyway. What do you think the NSA does all the time?

I will be really surprised if they find anything of value in the emails on the server, this whole story is just a sideline to take the spotlight off the orange buffoon running for office.

That's MR. PRESIDENT to you.

Now, American officials have warned that any attempts by the country to interfere directly with the vote itself will result in a US attack on key Russian systems.
Which makes us no better than they are. That is assuming they did indeed try provoking us. Kids will be kids. For the life of me I can't understand why we keep voting them into office.

What she did was illegal and would normally result in someone getting their security clearance revoked. It doesn't matter if there was classified material or not, the act of not using government provided email for government business is illegal. Favorites are being played here... This is reason enough for her not to be qualified for President of the US.

That's MR. PRESIDENT to you.
I've never respected any of my presidents enough to voluntarily call them "MR." I'm not afraid to call them what I think before election or after. That's because if they are truly trying to represent the people, they would want to hear their opinions. The fact that they live sheltered lives which then allows them the opportunity to ignore the people, is why I don't respect them.

I believe that low voter turnout, anger about Obamacare and lack of voter enthusiasm may do Hillary in. There are many people planning protest votes for Johnson and Stein.

Johnson received about 5% already and Stein is around 4%.

That's a pretty dangerous 9% (or so) for Hillary to lose.

We'll have to wait and see.

Last I checked no state has reported any voting results yet, so I'm not sure where you are getting those numbers. Even if they are true, its electoral votes that mater. You can have 100% in small electoral states, and still lose because you only had 49% in large electoral states.

The only number we know so far is that voter turnout is around 10-12%, which is pretty good considering past elections. I wouldn't be surprised if we even get to around 30%. Not great, but much higher than it has been the last several decades.

Neither side is enthusiastic about their candidate. Instead, their are voting against the other side's - that doesn't equate to Dems (or Reps) protest voting for Johnson or Stein.

The US is no longer the power it once was ...

I'll disagree with that. The US is as powerful, if not more powerful than it once was. Unfortunately, its leadership is as fractured as it ever was, and all the power in the world (or in the US) means nothing if there isn't a unified body to wield it effectively.

I'll disagree with that. The US is as powerful, if not more powerful than it once was. Unfortunately, its leadership is as fractured as it ever was, and all the power in the world (or in the US) means nothing if there isn't a unified body to wield it effectively.

Ok... but do you disagree that the US has been shrinking its military might? Less aircraft, less troops, less money... And do you disagree that Russia has been increasing its military might? More aircraft, more troops, more money... I realize not everything in a war is determined by these numbers, but they sure play a significant role.

1940s: Defeated Nazi Germany and Japan.

1960s: Could not defeat Vietnamese in the jungle.

2000s: Could not defeat camel jockeys in the desert.

Present day: Russia, strategically aligned with Iran, Turkey, and China...

Yeah. We're gonna win that one real quick and easy. Won't even be a contest.

Yes I do agree, by wanting to disarm its citizens. In our policed nation, we are forgetting how to take up arms and fight for ourselves.

I am all for armed citizens but I can't imagine that will do much if China or Russia fly in thousands of transport aircraft full of military vehicles and troops. The US military and National Guard are likely not well enough prepared for a large scale invasion. I hope I am wrong but this is just how I feel based on what I see and what I hear.

@Bigtruckseries omg...

Could you be.

By any chance.

Any more obnoxious.

Are you actually trying to write like this?

Or does it come natural to you?

So it looks like I can write full sentences.

But hell let's just separate it.

Just for the sake of obnoxiousness.

I am 35. I lived through Bush's administration.
You make it sound like you survived the holocaust lol...

And here come world war 3. Good plan indeed.

Back