The Witcher 3 is more popular in 2019 than last year

midian182

Staff member
In context: For the majority of gamers, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is one of the best video games ever made—if not the best. So, it might not surprise you to learn that the four-year-old title remains CD Projekt’s main earner, and it sold better in the first half of 2019 than it did during the same period last year.

The Polish game developer’s vice president and CFO, Piotr Nielubowicz, writes that the company’s financial results for the first half of the year were driven by strong sales of The Witcher 3. To date, the RPG has sold over 20 million copies across all platforms.

“This further confirms our belief that investing in top-quality games pays off, and that such games may continue to sell well for many years. In the first half of 2019 gamers actually purchased more copies of The Witcher 3 than during the first half of the previous year!” wrote Nielubowicz.

Elsewhere, thanks to the breathtaking publicity surrounding Cyberpunk 2077, preorders for the game are high, with one-third of digital PC preorders coming from CD Projekt’s GOG platform.

According to the company’s management board report (via PC Gamer), CD Projekt is continuing to grow. There were 953 employees as of June 30, 2019, up from 887 at the end of 2018. CD Projekt Red accounts for 777 of these, which is up from 698, while the number of GOG workers has dropped from 189 to 176.

The report also mentions a “migration towards a dual-franchise model (The Witcher and Cyberpunk) supported by several independent product lines,” which does suggest more Gwent games could be on the way— GWENT: The Witcher Card Game is coming to smartphones—and we might even see more titles set in the Witcher universe.

With The Witcher 3 arriving on the Nintendo Switch this October, expect the game to start bringing in even more money for CD Projekt. Not bad for a game released in May 2015.

Permalink to story.

As a working adult that can only dedicate my weekends to gaming at sometimes if that it took me well over 8 months to finally beat Witcher 3 and it was well worth the trip. Some of the scenes in that game especially the witches of the bog really just transported you out of this reality and into the game. Despite all of that I still feel like barely touched some of the skill points of the game and wished it didn't require 2 playthroughs to max your skill trees. otherwise what a great game.

Absolutely love this game. People expect Cyberpunk to be as good but they'll be dissapointed if they set standrads that high.

I would love to see s physical Gwent card game like what they plan on doing with Afterlife.

There are still many casual players around that are discovering the Witcher games now. I've seen it firsthand in Gamestop. The low price makes them curious. Or they ask for recommendations. Witcher 3 being on the Switch now has made a whole new audience aware of its existance.

It's not often for gamers to cry when playing a game after all, and it not only the main quest but also during side quests. TW3 is still going strong after 4 years. I hope this will create incentive for CDPR to make C2077 just as good or even better.

Quite frankly it's the best video game ever made. It transcends the category of"video games", it's a bloody work of art! From the attention to detail, the story telling, the character development, the myriad of issues covered, the graphics... everything screamed top notch quality. What a ride!

Quite frankly it's the best video game ever made. It transcends the category of"video games", it's a bloody work of art! From the attention to detail, the story telling, the character development, the myriad of issues covered, the graphics... everything screamed top notch quality. What a ride!

Hmmm.... I only dabble with videogames now but with a comment like this....I might just have to try it.

Absolutely love this game. People expect Cyberpunk to be as good but they'll be dissapointed if they set standrads that high.
No they won't. The quality will be on par or above TW3.
I think you forgot the controversy GW3 went in the beginning. awesome graphics at the conference and then when it came out, the graphics took a downgrade cause CDPR wanted the game to run on consoles so they decided to turn it down...

I'd still don't pre-order. I look for reviews on youtube to know how the game looks before I do anything with the game.

Would be gaming industry executives pay attention. An almost 1000 employee team is whooping every other development house that has 10,000 employees or more. Treat your employees well and reap the rewards. Work them to death? Your games will suck.

Nah the gameplay is mediocre.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is still ahead of it, exactly due to that. Arguably GTA San Andreas would also like to have a word with it.

Still it deserves a spot in the top 10.

Last edited:
No they won't. The quality will be on par or above TW3.
I think you forgot the controversy GW3 went in the beginning. awesome graphics at the conference and then when it came out, the graphics took a downgrade cause CDPR wanted the game to run on consoles so they decided to turn it down...

I'd still don't pre-order. I look for reviews on youtube to know how the game looks before I do anything with the game.

Even with the downgrade my GTX 770 4GB struggled with it. Had to play at 42fps with somewhat high settings. While PC games aren't allowed to look much better than their Console versions, performance likely had a big part in it as well.

Great game; wish they would have made mor fantastic DLC like Wine of Morning; which by itself was way more fun than AC: Oddysey. There's only 2 open world RPGs that I would rate above TW3; TES III and IV.

I tried playing it again and again to see what's all the fuss about. But I couldn't get interested in it as much as Oblivion, or even Skyrim. And I definitely wouldn't call it the best video game ever made.

Back