Thieves steal $370,000 worth of iPhone X handsets from UPS truck on eve of launch day

midian182

Staff member

Over a month and a half after Apple officially unveiled it, the iPhone X finally launches today. But it seems some people just don't want to wait in line, or pay, for the handsets. Yesterday, three men made off with 313 of the devices after breaking into a UPS truck.

The iPhone Xs were being delivered to an Apple store in San Francisco. After the UPS driver had parked outside the Stonestown Galleria mall and locked the cargo area, a janitor spotted some “husky,” hoodie-wearing males moving the boxes from the truck into a Dodge van. He even managed to take a photo of the incident, which happened sometime between 11:15 am and 11:30 am PT, reports CNET.

"It's suspicious they were able to get that large a haul on that day," he said.

The iPhone X’s famously high price—starting a $999—means the total value of the stolen goods is estimated to be over $370,000. The thieves still haven’t been apprehended.

The store has assured people who were planning to pick up pre-ordered iPhone Xs that they will still get their handsets on time.

Many who missed out on early iPhone X pre-orders have turned to eBay scalpers as a way of getting a device today. The handsets are averaging around $1500 on the auction site, with the highest listing coming in at $60,000.

The majority of early iPhone X reviews have been positive. Apple says it will be available in limited quantities for walk-in customers, so expect to see a better turnout than the muted iPhone 8 launch.

Permalink to story.

This as new meaning to the term "thick as thieves". They were probably expecting far better booty than what they got saddled with but got their wires crossed up. It shouldn't be long before they're all rounded up then they'll have plenty of time to figure out where it all went wrong. Alternatively they could've been trying to fulfil a contract, in which case they could quickly wind up wearing cement shoes as a generous show of appreciation from the contractor, thus avoiding apprehension altogether.

370 grand is a good haul for some easily moved boxes. And that figure could be millions if they can sell the phones at inflated prices on eBay. Can Apple not just brick the phones as soon as they get turned on and get an internet connection? It won't help the people who buy the phones but could help in identifying which phones they were and backtracking to see who sold or supplied them.

Thievery, the modern day Plague except they don't contract the illness and die, instead they breed more of their kind

Well no doubt that the iphone X is the hottest item right now. The reviews are glowing and the faceID proves the dominance of Apple in the phone industry. This is the phone to beat and Ill expect a lot of negative perceptions coming from those who can't afford it or having a brand of phone that starts with letter S. LOL at the haters.

I'm a brokeass hotel network Chief Technology Officer and Chrome Ninja earning $47k per year.
My company just rolled out desktops with new CD drives and cable-ready TV. How can I get my hands on such advanced technology as the iPhone X on my salary? Should I ask my boyfriend back in NY?

370 grand is a good haul for some easily moved boxes. And that figure could be millions if they can sell the phones at inflated prices on eBay. Can Apple not just brick the phones as soon as they get turned on and get an internet connection? It won't help the people who buy the phones but could help in identifying which phones they were and backtracking to see who sold or supplied them.

This.

Apple will have all the serial numbers for that shipment.

They can easily block all those phones or get the phones to call home when turned on. Then send the address to the cops. And those that get caught with stolen property will rat out whoever they got it from to avoid a massive fine or possible jail time.

Back