ThinkPad won't charge battery

IBM Thinkpad Series I 1200 (1161). Replaced the NiMH battery with Lithium Ion. Replaced the AC cord. When I look at Power Options, it says my battery is 3% charged. Won't run on either battery. Won't charge either battery. Will run with battery in or out. Ran fine many months ago with NiMH battery. Didn't use it for many months. Now the above problems. Any suggestions?

You have to use the same type of laptop battery as the original battery. You might have damaged the charging circuits

The NiMH battery is the same as original. When this wouldn't work any more, I tried the Li Ion battery. Same result. As I said before, when I put in this NiMH battery, everything worked great for a year or so. Then, after not using it for about a year, it would no longer work. The computer works fine but the battery won't charge. So, I tried the Li Ion. That won't charge either. If the charging circuit is damaged, can it be repaired/replaced?

The charging circuits are part of the motherboard. I think you might try another battery first. Using a laptop battery that hasn't been used in a long time is no guarantee that it will still charge. Laptop batteries need frequent charging and use

All batteries can become defective at any time... even the $129.00 Lenovo batteries... First thing I would do is borrow a batter from another owner to test... if not, I would probably buy a new, but low cost battery.

It is always good to check your contact points on the Thinkpad... polish them with a pencil eraser... and be sure they are not bent or forced into the case where contact is compromised... but you still cannot tell much for certain until you have another battery or two to test.

Back