This guy brought the headphone jack back to the iPhone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Some folks are clearly more upset than others about Apple’s decision to remove the headphone jack from the iPhone 7. Take Scotty Allen, for example.

The Strange Parts representative was so distraught over the matter that he became obsessed with adding a headphone jack to an iPhone 7. And when I say obsessed, that’s what I mean: he spent some four months (and several thousand dollars) working on the project.

Custom circuit boards, switching chips, Lightning-to-headphone adapters – this story has it all. There’s no planet in which this project makes any financial sense but boy is it interesting (and highly impressive).

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

The coolest thing I've seen someone do in ages :D
And the best part? He proved that it's possible and went against Apple's "courage".

And the best part? He proved that it's possible and went against Apple's "courage".

Is that what they're calling it these days?

It was worth watching this 33 minute video. Watching his work, his research, his leg work, his excitement, his failures, it was a journey for sure ha ha ha...

Same thing was going through my head during the end of the video.

I just wonder what that part he threw out was actually for, anyone?

I won't say impressive ... stupid sounds more like it. I have used bluetooth headphones for 2 years now, I will never buy wired type again.

I've gotta hand him kudos for his resourcefulness and know-how but why go to all that trouble and expense? A proper Android phone with a 3.5 mm jack already included by the manufacturer would've been far cheaper and simpler. They still include them these days in most devices. I get the feeling he did this for kicks and simply because he could. He's definitely not your usual 9 to 5 run-of-the-mill iFool who doesn't have the basic intelligence to know to switch to another platform but would rather cry about the loss of the jack.

Back