This is just weird. DSL disconnects on mute?

Mugsy

Okay, this is just weird

I have a PC running 64-bit Win7 as my primary OS (I also have XP & Linux on the same PC.)

Suddenly (in the past month), I noticed that whenever I mute the sound on my PC, I lose my DSL Connection. After unmuting my audio, my computer reestablishes a connection. This ONLY happens in Windows-7 (64bit), NOT XP or Linux.

And it's not just "mute". Even if all I do is lower the Windows volume to a whisper, it still does it.

I have no clue what my volume has to do with my DSL Connection. This is just weird. Any ideas?

Maybe there is a conflict with the Windows 7 compatible driver. Try uninstalling the old audio driver and reinstall the latest Windows 7 compatible audio driver.

Follow-up

Thanks for the reply.

After messing with MSConfig, I was able (or so it appears) to stop the problem by disabling one of the following Startup apps:

PowerCinema (autoloader)
WinAmp
...all of which have audio functions built in. Now it is just a matter of figuring out which one (or which combination) is at fault, since I've been using all of these programs since before my problem cropped up.

Weirdest damned bug I've ever seen in my life.

Perhaps one of those applications has been updated (maybe automatically) and now conflicts with the old audio driver. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to reinstall the audio driver.

Back