This is what London looks like through the eyes of a self-driving car

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Autonomous driving systems are responsible for looking at and processing exactly what humans see while driving, except they go about it in a completely different way using a technology called lidar.

As part of a recent piece for The New York Times Magazine, London-based design studio ScanLAB Projects roamed the streets of their home town equipped with 3D laser scanners. The goal of the joy ride was to visualize how driverless cars might perceive the world around them.

Based on the clip above, I’d say they passed with flying colors.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

That is a nice technology but when it get ubiquitous it will cause serious havoc with CCTV and damage the retina because of the cumulative effect on the human eye when there is too many laser pointed at the same time at the retina. And that is not counting the fload light effect(even if the human eye cannot see it).

To avoid a part of the problem all Lidar beam would need to be ID'ed which will cause other problems like tracking people's movement(Who said you need a chip under your skin!?) and it's easier than using cell phone to locate you while you are in the car and they would not need any warrant because your car would be designed to give away that ID.

There could be more sinister way to use that technology againts it's user but this would be more for the militairy or criminal like firing a missile toward a car with a specific ID or for predation which mean criminal could use a device at a location for instance that track the ID they want and when the car is spoted the criminal could simply give a visit and do whatever to that person and many more in a very short time which could make them more dangerous. I know it sound like tinfoil hat but this is easier than hacking computers and those sensor with the time would cost almost nothing and anybody with enough money could cover a lot.

I know it is far fetch but I think it is a nice idea that will turn bad with the time and the nefarious use of that technology is already "available". I think they should stick with camera and basic radar.

Back