This Quake clone is just 13 kilobytes and plays right in your browser

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: AAA games are increasingly taking up more storage space. Microsoft Flight Simulator and Red Dead Redemption 2, for example, both call for 150GB of available space on the PC. A new mini-shooter based on the original Quake, however, takes things in the opposite direction.

Q1K3 was created by Dominic Szablewski for entry into Js13kGames, a JavaScript coding competition in which the file size limit is set at 13 kilobytes. The game is based on the original Quake, which is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, and features two levels with five types of enemies and three different weapons, as well as dynamic lighting, robust collision detection, enemy AI and even custom music.

It’s playable right in your browser, and is surprisingly fun.

Those interested in game development may want to check out Szablewski’s Twitter account. There, you’ll find details about how the title was created, including Szablewski’s use of TrenchBroom to build the levels. Szablewski even made a texture creation tool called Tiny Texture Tumbler that’s available for anyone to download and tinker with.

The theme for the 2021 edition of the Js13kGames competition is space, and there are plenty of prizes up for grabs. All entries are due today, and as of writing, there are 223 total entries. All are playable right in your browser. I haven't yet had a chance to check them all out, but it seems as if Q1K3 has a solid shot at reaching the podium.

Permalink to story.

How many ways to play Quake? It doesn't matter. It gave a guy something to do and gives guys something to do. I am not playing browser Quake though

It blows my mind how small games were back in the day. I’ve done some development before and a single model can easily be bigger then an entire game was!

It blows my mind how small games were back in the day. I’ve done some development before and a single model can easily be bigger then an entire game was!
If the game is as good or better then fine. Too many games, too many developers. Talent is spread thin like in many walks

The number of developers nowadays dwarfs what we had in the 90s. The problem now isn't talent, it's project management.
The problem today comes from many places. Leadership made up of bean coutners instead of game developers, money from huge corporations being funneled into projects, greed, political infighting, and to top it off the average gamer no longer being an enthusiast but rather your average joe who has no problem dumping money on microtransactions, season passes, bland copy paste garbage, pre order bonuses, ece.

PC gaming in the 90s was very niche, and even with consoles like the SNES and playstation you still had a lot of gaming enthusiasts buying things. Today, not so much.

The number of developers nowadays dwarfs what we had in the 90s. The problem now isn't talent, it's project management.
You are correct. Management is spread as thin as talent and even when not spread thin good officers are hard to find

Back