This video shows you how to time travel without leaving your home

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The topic of time travel has been the source of countless sci-fi movies and scientific debate not to mention it has generally fascinated humans for generations. But did you know that you can time travel right now without leaving your home? It’s true… to an extent.

This clip from Minute Physics takes a look at three simple ways to time travel and three other methods that are a bit more complicated. It explores how concepts like gravity and the faster you move directly affect the passage of time in a simple-to-understand presentation much like the popular AsapSCIENCE series.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I love minute physics. It's rare to find someone intelligent enough to communicate complex theories in a fun and accessible way :)

Unfortunately, in order to travel through time, you must also travel through space.
Because our earth, our solar system, our galaxy and our universe is in constant motion, we could never be able to accurately calculate our exact location to travel back (or forward) to.
Especially since we have no real clue as to where our travel origin was.
Or even the gravitational pull of other universal objects that may have altered our course in the past.
I know, total buzz kill...
:/

"Because our earth, our solar system, our galaxy and our universe is in constant motion, we could never be able to accurately calculate our exact location to travel back (or forward) to."

Quantum Entanglement. Entangle a pair or pairs of particles and simply watch how the half behaves that you're observing. Leave the other half at the point(s) you want to travel back to. Still though, it would probably only work after the particles have become entangled, so you'd have to know where and when to travel in the future before you're at that point in the present which involves planning. Also, you would need sooooo much equipment which has to be around as sensitive as the stuff in the LHC just to observe them.

It doesn't help that entanglement on a macroscopic scale is a long ways off but it may only take so many particles to keep a record through entanglement anyways.

I'm not sure if the expansion of space would or would not ruin this whole idea. I don't think entanglement can account for expansion but it's not like I have any degrees in this anyways.

Back