Top 5 Worst CPUs: Let's Have a Little Fun

Julio Franco

Staff member

Today we're going to do something a little different just for fun and look at the top 5 worst CPUs released in the last few years. This is not intended to be taken as seriously as one of our buying guides, and if you happen to have one of these CPUs please don't be offended. In fact, under certain conditions they might even be a justified purchase. Without further ado, let's see why we think these are bad picks for most users...

Read the full article here.

The FX Bulldozer series for me is the worst processor. The hopes and dreams of every nerd at that time were shattered after it was released.

I was half expecting the P4 architecture, but I have been out of the game for a few years.

Next up: infamous GFUs? I nominate Nvida FX (5x00 series)

That Honda F1 pun for fx-9590...
Was laughing hard for 10 mins.
Poor Alonso.
Not just Alonso but the entire Mclaren F1 team. By Wednesday this week we should officially hear that they're migrating to Renault power for the foreseeable future.

Well I got a fx 8150 for cheap, and it's oc to 4.7 and I do like it. Yes I know single tread is crap, but keeps my hd 7870 at 99%. And I do game with max or high settings and no problem at 1080p. For the real opinion fx were crap, but now with them so cheap it's a way to build something on a budget. Not talking about the disaster volcano 9000. They did learn and all is has ryzen to something better . :).

Good thing this was kept recent otherwise P4 and Pentium D would leave no room for anyone. I didn't have to turn my room's heating on when I was using Pentium D and if I gamed on Nvidia's FX GPU, I would have to crack open the window.

I was half expecting the P4 architecture, but I have been out of the game for a few years.

Ha yeah Netburst was the first thing that popped into my head too. You know, the architecture they thought would ramp up to 10 Ghz...

To be fair that makes the point that Intel haven't really released any stinkers since then, although recent releases somewhat lacklustre (Kaby Lake = clock bumped Skylake..)

Perhaps some of the early dual core atoms might qualify - or if you're stretching it some of Intel's attempts at mobile SoC (Moorefield?)

I work for the State of NY (ITS) now but from 2009-2016 I worked at a Hospital and when I first started, the place was loaded with cheap Dell Optiplex 170L's using this fantastic piece of technology:

http://ark.intel.com/products/27178/Intel-Celeron-Processor-2_40-GHz-128K-Cache-400-MHz-FSB

1 Core. 1 Thread. 1 Ticket to damnation.
At the time Core2Duo's were affordable and even Pentium 4's/D's would have been an upgrade but they wanted to buy super cheap workstations...within a few years I changed all that but for those first couple of years, god damn.

Last edited:

haha the P4 sucked for sure but we were trying to keep it a bit more recent for this one.

You should also include it. Lets people who were not born back then know that there was a time Intel was falling behind and had an awful architect. Otherwise this newer generation is going to think Intel was always perfect and always dominated.

HardOCP also recently did similar articles which were 5 top best CPU's, 5 Worst CPUs, 5 Best CPU Overclockers of all time, and they didn't mind talking about older processors that released even a few decades ago.

As much as the FX series sucked, it sure was nice to have 3x 8350s for rendering on what is still a phenomenal motherboard line, the Sabertooths. 24 cores for less money than Intel offered at the time. All three still run (4.5GHz on air, Xigmatech coolers!), and though they're slower than modern systems, they're great for batch-rendering in Maya. I'll update my gaming rig before updating those.

haha the P4 sucked for sure but we were trying to keep it a bit more recent for this one.

The last PC I went all out on was a P4 when they first came out. I spent $13000 on that system and oh how I wish I had that money now.... To build a Threadripper system! $13000 would get me an awesome computer, and a divorce! Win Win!!!

You should also include it. Lets people who were not born back then know that there was a time Intel was falling behind and had an awful architect. Otherwise this newer generation is going to think Intel was always perfect and always dominated.

HardOCP also recently did similar articles which were 5 top best CPU's, 5 Worst CPUs, 5 Best CPU Overclockers of all time, and they didn't mind talking about older processors that released even a few decades ago.

We should have just copied them then. Opportunity missed...

We should have just copied them then. Opportunity missed...

Not really, because maybe your opinions of top 5 CPUs will be different to theirs and why you chose them on the list.

I also prefer your style of writing to be honest compared to Kyle's at HardOCP.

I used cyrix once on the socket 370 when I first started out with computers back in 1998 that chip there is a real mess.

Back