Top System Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweakster

My mums ageing 500mhz with Voodoo2 is showing its age now so im gonna swap my bits into hers and get my self fastest system i can.

What Motherboards are the top of the line for what processers. Last i heard 2.6 ghz was the top of the line but im not sure.

I would like recommendations on Fastest: processer, Motherboard, memory, Heatsink and power supply.

Thx

First, of all, what's your budget? Very very high? :D

And what are you going to be doing with it? Gaming?

Would you like DDR or RAMBUS?

PSU: 400-450W Antec or Enermax. Always.

Top of the line for Socket A -> Gigabyte 7VAXP
Top of the line for P4 -> ASUS P4PE from what I've heard.

Memory: Corsair XMS2700 DDR333

Heatsinks:

Socket A: Thermalright SLK-800

Socket 478: Swiftech MCX4000

If you want a lot of CPU speed, remember that 2 x 2.6 GHz is better than 1 x 3.06 GHz ;)

Now I just hide and wait for rants about multiprocessor systems..

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

Now I just hide and wait for rants about multiprocessor systems..

Well Mic, since you brought it up. Multiprocessors are only useful if the apps you are running support it. Unless you are heavy into graphics and video, then you may not use anything that supports it. I am not aware of any games that support it, though I haven't played every game out there so...

If you had a duall 2.0GHz system, that is not equal to 4.0GHz, though this is what the majority of people think until they see it first hand. You still only have 2.0GHz, what you do have is the ability of applications which support multiprocessors to be able to utilize cycles from both processors. It is actually a little more complex than this but you get the point. Any apps that don't support multiprocessors, will simply act as if there were only one. If you are running a 9x OS, then multiprocessors are of no use because the OS does not support it.

Games that use the Quake 3 engine support SMP (although not very well) - as well as Unreal Tournament 2003 (it only processes the audio on the second processor, but this can help). Also, if you are big into multi-tasking then SMP is great. Adobe apps like Photoshop benefit and 3D modeling/rendering apps usually get a huge jump in performance. I love my duallie machines and, although they are not my primary machines, if I didn't already have two of them I'd build one. Just keep in mind that if you're going for the absolute fastest gaming possible you probably WON'T get it from a duallie.

LNCPapa

Or just wait and get a 3.06Ghz P4 with HyperThreading then you can get a pseudo duallie ;)

Seriously though, If money isn't an issue (or brand loyalty to AMD ;) ) then the fastest gaming rig that you could build just now would be a P4 2.8Ghz with Rambus PC1066 although decent 333DDR CL2 is getting closer when it comes to available bandwidth. And a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro of course... ;)
The 9700 scales ridiculously high with faster CPUs... I doubt even the 2.8Ghz P4 will have it topping out of performace.

if you can afford the P4 2.8 and a Radeon 9700...go for it....for other mere mortals (such as myself) I'm gonna go with AMD, cos they're much better value for money...

and I've just bought myself a Ti4200....a reasonably priced card with very good performance [ok, no way near the 9700..but I'm not loaded like you ok? ;) ]

This very day i just bought a few bits and bobs for Family PC.

These are:

AMD Duron 1.3 Ghz
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_1274_1202,00.html

Motherboard
http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q3/010924/sis735-04.html

Memory
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR266X64C25/256

Heatsink
?

Fan
?

All for £140 thats an ok price i think.

Also got Sound blaster 128, DVD, 4 gb HD and 17 inch monitor.
As u can see i kinda need to beat that ;o) .

Also quickly someone answer 2night how much artic stuff should i apply ?

ARRGHH

It worked on Wednesday
It didnt on Thursday
Today (Frinday) im told processer and MB have blown.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Originally posted by Tweakster
ARRGHH

It worked on Wednesday
It didnt on Thursday
Today (Frinday) im told processer and MB have blown.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Elaborate on this please. By "Blown" do you mean they are both dead?

Brown Bread, Dead, deceased, polly has squarked her last sqaurk, passed on,kicked the bucket.

Reasons
CPU has a chip on corner and i think it might be dead. The mb has a fryed bit near USB conectors. BUt im unable to check my memory as i dont have a 2nd rig supporting memory type.

Originally posted by LNCPapa
Games that use the Quake 3 engine support SMP (although not very well) - as well as Unreal Tournament 2003 (it only processes the audio on the second processor, but this can help). Also, if you are big into multi-tasking then SMP is great. Adobe apps like Photoshop benefit and 3D modeling/rendering apps usually get a huge jump in performance. I love my duallie machines and, although they are not my primary machines, if I didn't already have two of them I'd build one.

LNCPapa

Quake 3 Based Games:-
Quake 3 ;-)
Star Wars : Jedi Knight 2
Soldier of Fortune 2
MOH:AA
MOH:AA:SH
RTCW

SMP based machines are also great for DivXing :)

Just keep in mind that if you're going for the absolute fastest gaming possible you probably WON'T get it from a duallie.

My new rig does pretty well :) (2xAMD 2400+, R9700Pro)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back