Top Wi-Fi Information and Optimization Utilities

Erik

Staff member

First and foremost, why do you need a Wi-Fi information/optimization tool? Although the range of functions varies in the programs listed here, they all share a common goal which is to provide the necessary information about the available Wi-Fi networks so you can choose the best options for you. This ensures optimal performance and top speeds. Most of the programs recommended in here offer network details like signal strength, addresses, and channels, but some offer extra features like network troubleshooting and security options.

You can use these tools to study your wireless network at home, work, or in public areas. Identify rooms or spots where there is signal weakness, interference between wireless devices, obstacles that might cause dips in performance, and rogue connections stealing your Wi-Fi. For gamers, they can help prevent lag, and in public areas choose the safest connection available -- if there was such a thing.

Read the complete article.

Header image credit: The Daily Dot / Max Fleishman

I tried out several of these type of applications and did not find any real use for them.

1. It will not help me connect to a secured connection.
2. I can 'see' all the available connections with my android or win device and decide which is best to connect to with out installing this type of application.

I tried out several of these type of applications and did not find any real use for them.

2. I can 'see' all the available connections with my android or win device and decide which is best to connect to with out installing this type of application.

Lazer, one good use of these tools is to see which channels nearby/neighbor's WiFi are using so you can set your router to an unused or less-used channel.

It helps those of us who need the information which they give us, such as signal strengths, channels used, etc. all in one quick view.

Basically, when I'm setting up a new wireless network for someone, I'll walk around and gather stats so I can further fine tune their network.

What I guess I'm saying is it's more just a convenience thing, not a necessity.

Hmm. No Wireshark? Really. Now THAT is curious.

The post is WiFi Analyzers.. Wireshark is a NETWORK tool not a WiFi analyzer.. so it's not included for what should be obvious reasons.

It's like asking why is A screwdriver not included in a review of rulers.. they are both tools but not in the same category.

Back