Toshiba laptop (win7) fails POST

bluffwood

Full disclosure, I replaced hard drive with a larger one two weeks ago, all worked fine.
Now my friend calls me back, won't get out of POST. Powers off.
I removed 2 memory chips. Tried each one singly in each socket. Tried both, reversed sockets.
No beeps.

Power On gets me TOSHIBA splash, then powers off. ONCE was able to get into cmos settings, and the drive (WD 1GB) displayed before cmos froze.

Any help appreciated. I thought I'd solved my friends problems with more drive space...Satellite p775-s7234

Remove the hard drive and see how far it get's into booting. If it says no boot device, the new hard drive may have failed

I removed the hard drive. Other things I've removed: battery; memory (to reseat)

same results. about 2 seconds after power up. after toshiba flash screen, powers down.

I ONCE was able to get into the cmos settings just for a sec before it shut down.

I pulled the unit apart to remove the drive and the ram. No sign of a cmos battery. I can't find anything via google on locating the cmos battery. Satellite p775-s7234. Can anyone help me locate it. The battery is cheap enough to buy just to test. But I don't have a roadmap to the bowels of this thing. It's not immediately accessible under either panel door.

Maybe, but when I googled them, they had wires and a connector. On desktops, I'm used to a flat battery. I suspect on laptops, that would be subject to shaking loose. But I'd like to hear if anyone has details on this battery's location. I hate giving up.

Open up the memory compartment and see if you can find the motherboard part number sticker... This is the actual part number of the motherboard. From what I can find, the CMOS battery is on the side of the compartments on the bottom. Exactly where you said you couldn't find it

No label UNDER the memory modules? Looks like the motherboard may have to be removed to change the CMOS battery and this Toshiba laptop looks quite old

Labels: lots of numbers with no titles
10i2 2mmfg:b22
phraa d06
4619bd51l06

mb (or mr) k 000 11 22840 wk t26k

on the case
satellite p775-s7234
part psby3u-02001d
serial 6b418528k

Back