Toshiba's SmartPad gets pictured, possibly due next month

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

First seen last month, more shots of Toshiba's upcoming "SmartPad" tablet have been released, showing an iPad-esque design. While not as aesthetically unique as the dual-screen clamshell Libretto W100, the SmartPad still looks pretty slick. The 10-inch slate uses Nvidia's Tegra 2 SoC, which should pack enough punch to run 3D games and HD video. Nvidia demoed a Tegra-based tablet prototype a few months back and it handled what looked like PS2 quality games with no trouble.

The SmartPad appears to have HDMI and USB ports, two bottom-mounted speakers, a front-facing webcam for video calls, an LED battery life indicator as well as a docking connector. Toshiba hasn't made it clear what operating system the tablet ship with, but most reports online seem to be leaning toward Android. It's believed that the device will officially launch at the IFA 2010 show in Berlin, which runs from September 3 to 8, so the SmartPad's secrets should be exposed by then.

Permalink to story.

Very good. The more competition the better. Though it doesn't seem to bother Apple. Someone needs to make a tablet that is better than the iPad in EVERY way.

Toshiba makes solid stuff... no reason they shouldn't sell quite a few of these. It's inevitable that more companies jump on the tablet bandwagon as I know a lot of people have already invested in the iPad for whatever reason. I think Dell and HP are already cooking something up. Should be interesting to see how other tablets stack up to the iPad in the next few months. Let's just hope Microsoft doesn't catch wind and ruin the party with some lousy tablet OS ;)

I love how all tablets that came after the iPad knew exactly what we wanted and thought the iPad would have. For that reason alone most tablets look better than iPad until you realize it is the only thing (besides the Modbook) that has a Apple OS

Back