Transferring files from old XP PC to new Win7 PC

ded2day

Is there a way to transfer files, settings, programs, etc from an old xp hdd to a new win 7 hdd? I don't have the xp disc, nor the win 7 disc. I was hoping to just hook up the old hdd into the new pc. Will that work?

If it is a new PC, IDE HDDs will not work on Modern SATA PCs, and if they do, it will be very slow. What files do you wanna use? because you can transfer using a external HDD

The old hdd is a sata, I dont have an external hdd. The files are pics, music, pdf's, assorted other stuff from years of use 300gb of stuff to transfer, and I dont want to buy an external hdd, or flash drives..I was just wondering if its possible to hook up the old hdd in the new machine and coppy/transfer the files over, or if there is a sata to usb cable that would work to make the old internal hdd an external one?

So when I plug it in to my new pc, do I need windows easy transfer on both hdd's? or will I be able to just copy files from the old one to the new one? or do I need windows easy transfer on just the new hdd?

Use can use Microsoft's Windows Easy Transfer tool to transfer all personal files as well as all your Windows settings/preferences from XP to Win 7

However, all programs must be reinstalled (not transferred)

You can still use your old disk as an external drive when you're done for the extra storage

I didn't care for the Windows Transfer tool and found that drag-n-drop of the folders of my choice worked just find :)

Just take the side off the tower, connect the old XP drive to the SATA port, fire up Windows and copy or move your files to the 7 drive.

Back