Tried 2 updates; Silverlight & a windows 7 for issues. Failed.

twoNglenn

After a successful rid of malware, I attempted to keep my things updated but was stopped by this error;
Failed: 2 updates
error found:
Code 80243004 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

Any info would be appreciated....

Hi

Thanks for the reply;

*** They (MS) says to select "Customize" from the taskbar. Then to scroll down until you see "Microsoft Update" and make a selection to "show icons and notifications", but Microsoft Updates is not EVEN listed. ?
So, I went to "Windows Update" from the start symbol at lower left. Typed in "Windows Update".
And it shows there.
I selected it and a "Windows Update" screen appears. (I guess this is a workaround?).
Here is where it says there are 2 updates available.
Silverlight and another for Windows 7.
When I select these and start and finish install; I receive a "Failed" notification.

Failed: 2 updates
error found:
Code 80243004 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

I looked up the notification; it directs me to perform what I mentioned earlier. See my *** notes.:eek:

Tried the whole process from the Start icon again (a day later) AND it actually worked !!!

But, is there something amiss that leaves "Windows Update" out of the taskbar selection?

Is this going to be a common practice, to perform updates many times before success?

P.S.: Secunia is also having trouble updating Adobe Air 3.x, Microsoft Process Explorer 15.x, Microsoft Xml Core Services (MSXML) 4.x, and Oracle Java JRE 1.7 x / 7.x

it almost seems that I have all the updates but Secunia and my Windows Update is not seeing that I have them? I see similar programs in my "Programs and Features". Or even ones that seem newer than what Secunia is looking for.

I will see if Secunia requires an update and I will run the Secunia program again......

After many attempts and restarts (I think that was the key)..... All seem s normal with the windows updating. the icon is now visible as well.

But Secunia is still working on those updates?

Glad it worked for you! Sometimes windows system tray gets confused about what it wants in life, I've had similar problems with other programs (speedfan, airdroid, etc.)

Afraid I don't know much about Secunia, never used it. The only thing I can think of is that one of Secunia's own updates failed/was uninstalled/windows spit it out and is causing security conflicts. Maybe try downloading a fresh installer and doing the update manually that way?

Back