Trouble booting up - bootmgr missing, no access to BIOS

hi!

i have two harddisks. one has win vista 32 bit, the other win 7 64bit. the latter one is the main one that boots normally. Motherboard is a Asus Formula Maximus 2

well today i woke up to find my pc just saying
"Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key"

the win 7 disc startup repair tool basically told me that the partition table is screwed up. but the tool didn't fix it.
then i found on the net the instructions
Boot 7 dvd to system recovery options command prompt. Type:

Diskpart

lis vol

( find the vol letter e.g C or partition number e.g. 1 for the system partition )

sel vol C ( or sel vol 1 , obviously use the correct letter or number)

act

exi

see if that helps.

well, it did do something, because now i'm only seeing "BOOTMGR missing" when i boot up. i thought maybe now the startup repair tool will fix it, but thing is, now my dvd drive is no longer the first boot device. i'd change it, except usb support for bios doesn't seem to be on, and my PS/2 port seems to be broken (tried my old REALLY old keyboard, and a new one with usb to PS/2 adapter), so i can't enter bios.
removing both harddisks makes me boot to the dvd (makes sense)
leaving only what i'm pretty sure is my secondary HDD (with winVista 32bit) in, it seems to act as if there was nothing there.
leaving only what should be my primary HDD in, nets me again the screen BOOTMGR missing.

i really really really hope that doesn't mean that one or both HDDs are dead. that would be bad... very BAD. also i would have expected a bit more arning, sicne everythign was going perfectly up until i booted up this morning
i have an external usb HDD, where i guess i could possibly try to install windows temporarily, maybe install a boot manager in windows. i'm not sure that would help/work

any ideas what i could do to fix it?

One of the hard drives is corrupt or bad. Since you boot normally using the Windows 7 drive, it is this drive that has the trouble. you really need to get into the bios to make sure both hard drives are still seen. Your only other option is to remove both existing hard drives and install a single drive that you can load an operating system on fresh for testing purposes

i fixed it now by resetting CMOS and then finally had access to BIOS setup again. ran start up repair again and now all good.
well except my secondary drive which i've tested on two different systems and isn't recognized by the BIOS on either... i guess its dead

Back