Trouble with audio when viewing videos on you tube or cnn

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryK

I am having trouble with the audio part of You Tube and CNN. As soon as the video starts the sound stops. I click play and the sound starts then it stops again, Then, the video freezes. What is going on? It is so frustrating when I can't hear the audio because it keeps stopping and starting, starting, stopping. Help !

Find out what audio program gives you the sound for whatever is not working. It's going to be a plug-in of some kind. Go to 'control panel' and 'uninstall' the current plug-in. Then reinstall it from a good source. Many times these applications can become corrupt and stop all together or off and on. I think with a fresh install of all of your audio plug-ins will bring them around. Give it a try! Good Luck.

MaryK said:
I click play and the sound starts then it stops again, Then, the video freezes. What is going on? It is so frustrating when I can't hear the audio because it keeps stopping and starting, starting, stopping. Help !

I hope nothing's wrong with your sound but its sound's like
you just need to wait till the video (youtube) is fully loaded or the red bar
next to the "play" button reached the end of the frame.

you can actually play the video without waiting it to be fully loaded provided
that you have a good source of bandwidth (ISP).

sometimes you can see a message "buffering" on the video screen.this
thing happens when you have a very low bandwidth or the file that your viewing is
too large.

also if the site is congested or too many users are logged on to the same site
you're viewing.

Regarding Trouble with audio when viewing You Tube

Thanks for your response.

This happens all the time. Sometimes the video freezes, then it starts and stops, and it really gets annoying with the sound going off and on.

I am truly frustated. What do you think the problem is? I do wait for video to come on completely.

An old Dell desktop... Your on-chip sound is probably failing, You might want to think about getting a PCI add-in sound card... or even a new omputer. I'm sure your Dell is approaching it's "end of life cycle"... It is so old that it may have a separate sound card now

Video and Audio Problems

Bummer!!!!!

What is the life-span of a computer?

I only use mine for e-mails, school stuff, and internet browsing. Someone told me that this computer would last me forever. I guess that isn't true.

I tried watching CNN video today, and again, the picture freezes and the sound stops.

The weird thing is that I went to You Tube and watched a video by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and I was able to view that. I tried viewing a video by Rob Thomas and again, I got the same thing that I get with CNN.

Someone told me to go to control panel and uninstall plug-in in the sound portion and then re-install it again. Could that be a temporarary fix? I have no idea what this person was talking about, and I have no idea how to re-install it. What in the world is a plug-in?

As you can tell by now, I am totally ignorant on troubleshooting computer problems.

What do you think? Should I uninstall whatever a plug-in is? What am I looking for.

Thanks for your help and quick reply.

If I do need to purchase a new computer. What do you recommend that is not too pricey??

I'm somewhat an expert in refurbishing "end of life" computers. I install things like new CD ROMs and hard drives, upgrade total memory, and clean out all the dust and debris, and old Operating Systems. Since the system is old, can I assume that you are running Windows 2000 or Windows Me?

The "end of life" refers to business depreciation for tax purposes. When a system reaches a certain age, you can't write off the value any longer, so the system is pulled from use...

Go to Wal-Mart and pick up one of the new HP's with a flat panel monitor and printer

Thanks

You have been a big help.

I will shop around for a new computer. I will need instructions on how to remove all data from my hard drive before I junk it or give it to Good Will. I wouldn't want someone getting a hold of all my information.

Thanks.:approve:

There are several ways of cleaning data off hard drives. It depends if you want to save the data or not... What operating system are you running on that old Dell? If it was Windows 2000 the old data can be "seen" by XP or Vista on your new system

Windows XP

Sorry for the repeat e-mail. Wasn't sure if you got it, but I have Windows XP.
Does that still put me in the market to shop for a new one?

I guess I bought this computer in 2002 or 2003. :confused:

An XP reinstall or a Dell system restore might help with this issue. See if you have a non-distructive system restore option in your Dell software

Just to clarify, it was not upgraded to XP. It was XP when I bought it, and Dell shipped it to me.

I will check to see if I can re-install XP. Geez!. It just seems easier to go buy a new one.

Thanks Tmagic650

I understand MaryK,
Have you kept up will all the Microsoft Updates? Even the Optional ones? There have been over 100 since you bought that beast

I am not going to lie. I have not. Because I am not computer savvy, I have no idea what this update is and that update is all about.

I stayed away from responding to a lot of stuff because I always ended up with a lot of spam; really bad stuff from ignorant people. I still get it and just delete it.

I guess I will have to stay on top of it if I do get a new computer.

I am waiting to see if my brother comes into town; maybe I can get him to re-install XP for me.

If you open your Internet browser. Click on "Tools" windows (or Microsoft Updates) and click "check for updates"... download and install what you see. Many of these updates will make your computer run better and may even fix your problem, without requiring any additional money

Tools/Update

I tried what you told me and here is what happened:

It showed that Microsoft.Net Framework 7 of 8 updates failed
then it showed that Root Certificates 8 of 8 failed

It started installing once again and then I got message to restart my computer.

So, I restarted and saw a few configurations happen. It showed a black background with white letters and numbers flash very quickly, and then after a while, my desktop appeared, and I logged on to let you know what was happening.

All this took about an hour, so I was not able to respond to you until now. I don't imagine you may be on anymore, so I will look for you later today, and see what you tell me to do next.

Do I go back to Tools and start the process all over again??

I figure it was installing 8 updates on (software) and it showed 3 updates on (hardware) which I never got to.

If the above does not work, should I then go ahead and re-install XP, and do I have to back up my data first? I have resumes and stuff like that, that I do need to save.

Thanks TMagic650

I really appreciate all the time you have given me to help out.

I am tired now, so I will hopefully see you back here later today, since it is 12:35 here.

Don't forget to spring forward.:zzz:

Clocks are changed... What part of the country are you in? Go ahead and download the hardware updates and don't worry about the NET Framework updates. Do you have XP Service Pack 2 installed? Look in Control Panel, System. That will tell you if you have it

There you are

I hail from the Lone Star State :haha:

Yes, I do have XP Pack 2.

I am also frequently getting knocked off with a message that says:Internet Explorer Cannot Display Webpage. What's that all about??

This causes me to log off, shut down, and log back on again. I am surpirsed it hasn't knocked me off yet. (knock on wood)

Go ahead and download the hardware updates. If you can... write down what they are, and tell me

We both have a lot of cattle in our States don't we... and oil too

Updates on Hardware

It looks like it installed the following:

Dell Inc Monitors
and Microsoft Net 2.0 Service Pack 1

Sorry I tool so long to respond but it took a while for it to download and install.
Then, it had me restart computer.

That's where I'm at. :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back