Trouble with Toshiba Hard drive

Hello, I've been recently attempting to recover data from several old laptop hard drives (old as in ranging from 1-4 years) the most promising old drive which is about 3 years now has now decided to be less promising. It will show up in the BIOS and Windows (7) explorer for about 2 minutes before disappearing and and then reappearing another 2 minutes later. It is making very gentle ticks now and then but that's all. I know it still has most of the data I need on it to recover as I've managed to keep the harddrive in a sort of stasis long enough to run data recover software to preview some of the before it cuts out again. Could someone please help me diagnose this problem preferably without referring me to some data recovery company of course. Thankyou

Hey FieryDove. A ticking sound that wasn't always there during normal drive operation is an indication that something is mechanically wrong with the drive, and no software can fix a mechanical problem. I would save whatever data you can ASAP when the drive is visible then trash it.

Back