Twitter engineers told to boost Elon Musk's tweets after Joe Biden's Super Bowl post was...

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! The great thing about owning Twitter is that you can tell its engineers to boost your tweets, and if they can't, threaten them with dismissal. According to a new report, that's exactly what Elon Musk did after his tweet during the Super Bowl failed to attract as much engagement as President Biden's.

Twitter users might have seen Biden's tweet proclaiming his support for the Philadelphia Eagles, which included a retweeted video from Jill Biden showing the First Lady wearing an Eagle's jersey. So far, the President's tweet has received 29 million views and almost 200,000 Likes.

Elon Musk also tweeted support for the Eagles, but his post received just over 9 million views, around 20 million fewer than Biden's, and 68,500 Likes. The CEO deleted it after four hours.

Platformer's Zoë Schiffer and Casey Newton reported that Musk traveled to Twitter's San Francisco HQ in his private jet after the game to speak to his team about why his post wasn't as popular as Biden's.

At 02:36 on Monday morning, Musk's cousin, James Musk, sent a "high urgency" message to 80 Twitter engineers stating, "We are debugging an issue with engagement across the platform," another reaction to Biden's tweet receiving more engagement than Musk's.

Engineers worked through the night to discover why Musk's tweets weren't performing as well as expected, likely motivated by the threat of losing their jobs if the issue wasn't addressed. One employee posited that Musk's reach might be limited due to the number of people who have blocked and muted the CEO in recent months, though it could have been down to technical reasons, such as Twitter's system promoting tweets from users whose posts perform better to both followers and non-followers.

Musk got his wish. By Monday afternoon, Twitter implemented code to greenlight all of Musk's tweets so they bypass the platform's filters designed to show users the best content. His posts were boosted by a factor of 1,000, pushing them above all others in users' feeds. One internal estimate states that over 90% of Musk's followers now see his tweets, and millions who don't follow him are also seeing his content in the For You Tab.

Musk acknowledged his tweets filling up people's timelines with the following meme:

Musk also tweeted that the changes to the algorithm will be "adjusted." Platformer writes that his posts are currently being boosted by a factor of less than 1,000.

The world's second-richest person isn't averse to firing Twitter staff who don't do as he commands. He terminated the employment of an engineer who argued with him publicly in November and reportedly fired another engineer on the spot after they told him his popularity was declining on the platform.

Permalink to story.

See proof that the woke liberal crowd at twitter is gaming the system and punishing conservative viewpoints!

See proof that the woke liberal crowd at twitter is gaming the system and punishing conservative viewpoints!
Because somehow, falsely making your posts seem like they are gaining more attention is a conservative viewpoint? It fits. Conservatives - lie, cheat, steal, and be proud of it. :rolleyes:

Conservatives should have no questions as to why their "Red Wave" did not materialize in the 2022 US elections.

EDIT: But what the heck. Current generation conservatives seem to have extreme trouble accepting truth unless its their truth.

Last edited:
Looks like a reliable news source. I mean it's not like they have Elon Musk stories all over their front page. Some useless butthurt techies crying the blues.

He simply doesn't grasp the concept that accomplishment doesn't equal greater popularity. But not to worry, sooner or later he will have one major failure that will bring down his entire empire, then he won't like what is being tweeted about him ..... in spades!

Ban twitter in the states and the EU. Problem solved. Also what a great investment it would end up being for Elon. Even better than it already is.

Is there some kind of proof or we just take the word of some techie who isn't happy with Elon or Twitter?

Elon can hire or fire anyone he pleases. It's his company. If employees feel any wrong doings took place, they have options.

As a lifelong Chiefs fan, the salt tastes excellent. Square shaped man big mad about double loss. Get mad and pout lolololol
Pretty sure just about every Eagles fan was mad n pouting over the flag thrown.

Yes, there was a penalty. Also, the penalty wasn't the reason the Eagles lost. They were simply outplayed in the 2nd half by a very hurt QB n still couldn't stop him.

Oh Musk. I mean, he does own Twitter, if he was like "I want to get more views" or "I want to get the most views" -- well he owns the company so fair enough I guess. Referring to his not getting the number of views he wants as "debugging an issue?" Ugh.

I don't use Twitter because it has always been a cesspool. I have to hand it to Elon Musk for doing what I always thought was impossible. He managed to make Twitter even worse than it already was! :laughing:
Works as intended. Just like the internet. If you go around looking for things, that's on you.
If you go there get whatever info you need, there's not a problem.
No one says you have to click on articles/stories, don't need to follow anyone and if you interact, that's on you.

Back