Twitter roundup: bankruptcy threat, top staff leave, Musk's payment system plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
TL;DR: To say Twitter is going through an upheaval following Elon Musk's takeover would be an understatement. With so much news coming from the platform every day, here's a summary of what's happened recently, from talk of the company going bankrupt and FTC warnings to the chaotic verification system and Musk's plan to turn Twitter into WeChat.

A lot has happened at Twitter since Musk arrived, including the billionaire laying off half of its employees and suspending accounts for impersonating others (often Musk himself).

Talking to employees for the first time, Musk warned that "bankruptcy isn't out of the question," according to several reports.

Musk has other problems to deal with: three of Twitter's top security officials—chief information security officer Lea Kissner, chief privacy officer Damien Kieran and chief compliance officer Marianne Fogarty—along with Twitter's head of client solutions, Robin Wheeler, and Yoel Roth, the head of safety and integrity, all left the company on the same day Musk warned of the bankruptcy. Roth had been there to assure users and advertisers that all was well at Twitter, so his departure will come as a blow.

The loss of top security personnel prompted a warning from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The agency said it was "tracking the developments at Twitter with deep concern" and would take action to ensure the company was complying with a 2011 settlement, part of which requires Twitter to maintain a comprehensive security plan.

Musk had a warning for the remaining Twitter personnel, highlighting the importance of the new $8 pm Twitter Blue service that launched on Wednesday. "Without significant subscription revenue, there is a good chance Twitter will not survive the upcoming economic downturn," he wrote in an email to staff. "We need roughly half of our revenue to be subscription."

Speaking of Twitter Blue, the service now gives subscribers verified status. To address the problem of users pretending to be someone they're not, public entities received gray check marks beneath the blue ones. These 'official labels' were rolled back before the end of the first day. Following more impersonations—an action that results in permabans—from verified users, the gray checks were brought back.

Musk has also said there are too many corrupt legacy blue "verification" checkmarks on the platform—as in, those from unpaid pre-Musk accounts—so they are being removed.

Elsewhere, the Twitter boss talked about his plans to turn the company into what sounds like a bank of sorts, complete with debit cards, checks, and loans. Musk says that Twitter users will receive a balance that can be sent anywhere in the system, which could be a way of tipping people or paying for paywalled content. He added that the site will set up a "high-yield money market account so that having a Twitter balance is the highest-yield thing that you can do," and that instead of a traditional banking system, users can have "one balance on Twitter that can simply go positive or a negative."

Users will also get a debit card tied to their balance to use in places that don't accept Twitter payments, and Musk hinted that he might offer bank-style loans, too.

Musk has talked about turning Twitter into "the everything app," suggesting something like China's WeChat social media app that can be used to order food, book rides, make payments, and more. Implementing banking features is an ambitious plan that will bring plenty of regulatory scrutinies, but Musk sounds determined to make it a reality; Twitter registered with the US Treasury as a payments processor today.

In the final bit of Twitter news, Musk has confirmed that employees are expected to work in the office for at least 40 hours a week, a replica of the mandate he implemented at Tesla earlier this year. It reversed the company's stance from 2020 when it said employees could work from home "forever" if they wished.

The world's richest person has a lot on his plate right now, but he might have even more to deal with following Joe Biden's announcement that Musk's relationships with other countries should be looked at.

Permalink to story.

Twitter demanded Musk purchase them and they even sued to make it happen. Now that it has happened and is cleaning house what the hell did upper administration think was going to happen? I mean how arrogant, ignorant and out of touch with reality were they? Twitter was bleeding money so something had to be done. Top execs crying on their way out is just so ridiculous to the point of being laughable. At this point I think Musk is going to turn it into a profit center or kill it.

Twitter demanded Musk purchase them and they even sued to make it happen. Now that it has happened and is cleaning house what the hell did upper administration think was going to happen? I mean how arrogant, ignorant and out of touch with reality were they? Twitter was bleeding money so something had to be done. Top execs crying on their way out is just so ridiculous to the point of being laughable. At this point I think Musk is going to turn it into a profit center or kill it.

Yes, you are 100% correct. They were all enjoying the gravy train…

So many rapid and some dispirit moves will cause Musk to loose money for years to come, but he may eventually bring it back if he can hold on long enough. The real question now is at what point will he loose interest and just throw in the towel. We've seen him fight for Tesla & SpaceX but those always had potential .... Twitter may be a different animal ... only time will tell.

So many rapid and some dispirit moves will cause Musk to loose money for years to come, but he may eventually bring it back if he can hold on long enough. The real question now is at what point will he loose interest and just throw in the towel. We've seen him fight for Tesla & SpaceX but those always had potential .... Twitter may be a different animal ... only time will tell.
I mean, if he's getting $8 per blue checkmark, given how addicted to twitter most of its users are there's a goldmine to be made.

Honestly, I only go there because some game companies I follow and prominent people announce their things there. Never even bothered to check the replies due to how toxic it can be. Wonder where they'd be going if the site implodes.

I mean, if he's getting $8 per blue checkmark, given how addicted to twitter most of its users are there's a goldmine to be made.
No argument there is significant money to be made BUT look at how long it will take to make up that $44 Billion and lets not forget he has already lost some significant advertisers and according to this mornings news, he's managed to run affoul of the FTC in one of his recent changes .... one that could cost him dearly. Like I said, IF he can weather all of this and hold on long enough, it could be a big winner ..... or he could just take his lumps and sell it off cheap or dump it entirely.

No argument there is significant money to be made BUT look at how long it will take to make up that $44 Billion and lets not forget he has already lost some significant advertisers and according to this mornings news, he's managed to run affoul of the FTC in one of his recent changes .... one that could cost him dearly. Like I said, IF he can weather all of this and hold on long enough, it could be a big winner ..... or he could just take his lumps and sell it off cheap or dump it entirely.
I'd take the whole advertiser thing with a grain of salt. The likes of facebook and google "lose" advertisers every winter due to some controversy or another, happens like clockwork. gives them more leverage for negotiations next year.

EmpLemon on youtube did a pretty good hour long breakdown on the ways advertisers time their responses to "controversy" only to show right back up 4 months later.

Buying twitter for $44 billion is gonna give musk a LOT of tax writeoffs. It's not about making money at that point. It'll pay for itself in freeing him from paying tax on tesla and space X. Being able to trigger millions with simple comments is the hilarious cherry on the sundae.

Blaming it on the previous upper administration is rather disingenuous, IMO.

Musk is just confirming he is a ******* and clueless business person unworthy of the praise piled on him by all his loyal subjects. He's a billionaire what the **** does that mean - absolutely nothing.

It's Musk, and no one else, driving the worthless piece of crap twitter into the ground and the world will be a better place for it.

Musk will kill it. It's his anti-Midas Touch.

Last edited:
Blaming it on the previous upper administration is rather disingenuous, IMO.

Musk is just confirming he is a ******* and clueless business person unworthy of the praise piled on him by all his loyal subjects. He's a billionaire what the **** does that mean - absolutely nothing.

It's Musk, and no one else, driving the worthless piece of crap twitter into the ground and the world will be a better place for it.

Musk will kill it. It's his anti-Midas Touch.
The previous administration spent years driving twitter into the ground, alienating users, and losing billions. Blaming musk for driving twitter into the ground is quite disingenuous and shows your personal bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back