Two wireless access points lan-to-lan

mrkd1991

Currently we are crashing in a unit out the back of the in-laws, they have a wireless modem/router in the lounge room.

The WiFi range doesn't extend to the unit at all. To tackle this I've run a cat6 cable from the lounge room to the unit out back. This then plugs into another WiFi modem/router from our previous residence.

From research, this shouldn't work. But apart from having to toggle your devices WiFi on/off to switch networks, it does...
Note that on day one of connection, it switched automatically, now it doesn't.

The primary router runs an ip of 10.0.0.138 while the secondary runs 192.168.0.1.

Do I need to reconfigure the secondary router or just go with what works?
Note that the primary router has bridge mode, but the secondary does not.

Whichever has the ISP connection is the GATEWAY, call the other the remote.

connect the remote->PC and nothing else. The default ip address should be documented as is the admin / password pair.

SO:
  1. login the remote router and disable the DHCP service.
  2. disable remote management and port 8080
  3. set a new WIFI SSID and passphrase
  4. set a new admin password
  5. save the settings which will likely reboot the remote router (AP)

Next:
  • bring the cat6 from the GATEWAY and connect to any LAN PORT
  • leave the WAN port on the remote empty
What you will get:
  • the GATEWAY router/ap can manage itself
  • it will also supply all DHCP addresses, both the gateway and the remote
  • any pc connected to either will have Internet access
  • print/file sharing CAN be controlled by each PC admin

The remote router has limited configuration options, so the only thing I could do was disable the DHCP service.

I chose to keep the SSID and password the same as it was our router from our previous house so all our devices connect to it automatically.

With this change, more than one device can connect to the remote and gain Internet access, whereas before it seemed to only "handle" one.

I was also informed that the gateway was receiving interference and causing drop outs. For the few hours after the change it didn't give any errors.

Is there anything else I need to do?

I will update this tonight.

While the SSID/PWD can stay the same, put each on a different channel number.

The remote doesn't even have an option to change the channel, but the gateway is channel 6. Is there a way to find what channel the remote is using?

Hmm; What make/model is the remote? I've never seen a router without these controls.

It's a different model, and unfortunately runs the optus firmware so the advanced options are very limited.

Is there a way to remove/replace the optus firmware with the proper sagemcom firmware?

Also, the setup has been working fine until now. My mobile says the network has no Internet connection, but my partners and the xbox are using it fine.

Is there a way to remove/replace the optus firmware with the proper sagemcom firmware?
download the CORRECT firmware for your model and then perform the update procedure.

There is very little info on sagemcom available and the docs are deplorable so life with that unit will be 'unpleasant'

If that doesn't work or I can't find the right one, is there a particular router you would recommend in its place?

I've always used Netgear and have been very happy with their reliability

Back