Ubisoft follows EA's $10 Online Pass with 'Uplay Passport'

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Ubisoft has announced plans to ship its future games with a control scheme that will make it impossible for second-hand titles to access online content without paying a fee. Called Uplay Passport, the software will accompany most of the studio's titles starting with Driver: San Francisco, which is due on August 30 in North America.

Games that come with the Uplay Passport will have a single-use registration code that provides access to online content and features, including "bonus content," "exclusive offers," and of course, multiplayer. Folks who purchase a pre-owned game with Uplay Passport will have to pay $9.99 for a new registration code to unlock that material.

Although this will undoubtedly annoy many of you, it shouldn't come as a total shock considering the company's draconian always-connected DRM -- not to mention the fact that CFO Alain Martinez admitted last year that Ubisoft was interested in copying EA's model. During a conference call, Martinez said Ubisoft was looking "very carefully" at EA's "$10 solution" and planned to implement its own second-hand deterrent sometime in the future.

EA introduced its "Online Pass" last May and also charges people who buy used games $10 to access online content, but it also offers a seven-day trial. It's unclear if Ubisoft will offer a trial period before making folks pony up. Considering the backlash Ubisoft faced when it introduced its controversial DRM last year, some gamers will boycott Uplay Passport-enabled games. Such titles can be identified via the Uplay Passport logo on the box.

Permalink to story.

what make ubisoft so sure that its system there isnt hack proof. its still the same thing as "my 16 digit serial number was hack " thingy. there is always way for piracy lurk around the corner as to there will always be people hacking the new vista/ipod/ipad
the only way for piracy to be totally die out is to not come out with an new product till there is 100% sure way that piracy cant be use in any way except for itself to give up

that or turn the economy back into the stone ages !

Play Angry birds offline in chrome and iron - why should i ever buy a game again? Goodbye EA and ubisoft. Chrome OS and android will be the most advanced linux os with the latest high end games.

stuff like this pisses me off ..

soon you wont be able to buy A used car .. with out Ford, Toyota, GMC gettn their cut.

I read few articles about it already - and my question is.

How would they know? What is the difference between game in my friend hands and mine?
There is only one solution I see here: Enormous restrictions on my laws (as a title "Owner").
Or is there something else...

This is the terrible thing about digitally delivered games. You bought the game, yet you don't enjoy the full benefits that ownership normally delivers.

Back