Ubisoft says PS5 won't be backward compatible with PS3, PS2 or PS1

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: For comparison, Microsoft has said that its upcoming Xbox Series X will be able to play all games that are currently playable on the Xbox One (except those that use a Kinect) through its backward compatibility system. That means the Xbox Series X will support four generations of games, an unprecedented feat for a consumer gaming console.

Sony earlier this year confirmed that the “overwhelming majority” of the more than 4,000 PlayStation 4 games on the market will be backward compatible with the company’s upcoming PlayStation 5.

What about older games from the PlayStation 3 and beyond? Will gamers be able to play such titles on next-gen hardware? Ubisoft doesn’t seem to think so.

According to this support page from the French video game company, the PlayStation 5 will support backward compatibility with select PS4 titles but explicitly notes that such functionality will not be possible for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2 or original PlayStation games.

To clarify, we aren’t 100 percent certain if Ubisoft is speaking just about its catalog of games or all games in general. It sounds like the latter, but don’t take that as gospel just yet.

Both the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X are expected to launch this November.

Image credit: Lutsenko_Oleksandr

Permalink to story.

They have invested in 'PS Now'. Why would they go out of their way to allow it for free at this point (even with how much of a pro-consumer move it would be)?

Last edited:
I bought a PS3 specifically so I could play Gradius V and Contra: Shattered Soldier.

I could have bought a PS4, but it didn't have that option.

I damn sure ain't buying a PS5.

I figured this would be the case , either give my PS4 to friends ( or sell it to my business ha ha ) , or stick it in the PCs monitor for local co-op and use the space in my AV rack for the PS5 and keep my PS3

I have my PS3 plugged in.

Played it like the first few months I had a PS4 because I didn't have many games there yet. Never used it since.

Reality is backwards compatibility isn't as important these days because we generally have an overwhelming amount of new games to choose from and simply don't have the time to re-play many, if any, of the old favorites. Especially when every major title has a "remaster". BC is good for the first half year of the PS5 cycle for sake of convenience of not needing to keep switching between consoles.

I wish old games were as accessible as every movie/tv show/song/book/podcast. It's the last area of entertainment media that unfortunately requires piracy to access.

This is why I love PC gaming as I can play older games without having to worry about "will the new system be backwards compatible." Right now I'm completing the Witcher series all without having to whip an old system out to play them.

This news doesn't bother me much.
Probably cause I'm getting the new xbox so I can play 4 generations of games.
Old games are golden. Gamepass has really proven that.

I was surprised to see the word Backward when it comes to something of the past compatible with something newer. Upward was expected. But I'm not a native English, so... yeah!

Xbox = no backwards compatibility = never bought any version.
ps3=backwards compatibility = bought one ,
ps4 and 5 = no compatibility = not buying one
If backwards compatibility wasnt a thing people looked for, then why are there retro boxes being released of every console from the past.

Back