Ultra HD Blu-ray discs can be ripped using DeUHD software, bypassing copy protection

Greg S

The battle between DRM developers and cracking teams continues on as AACS 2.0 copy protection has been broken by Russian company Arusoft. Dubbed 'DeUHD', Arusoft's newly released utility allows Ultra HD Blu-ray discs to be decrypted and stored in DRM free formats.

DeUHD can currently only rip around 30 movies and has only eight supported Blu-ray players, but further development is expected in the near future to add support for more optical drives and movies. Arusoft is allowing users to request support for specific movies and claims to be working on adding new movies weekly.

For now, the tool is available as a trial version that only allows eight to ten minutes of a single disc to be decrypted or as a standalone license that has all available features. The standalone version costs €199 ($233) and takes approximately four to six hours to decrypt a standard length movie. It should be noted that standard Blu-ray discs are not supported, only Ultra HD Blu-rays.

There is no fancy user interface to look at, but considering the purpose of the software, Arusoft is not likely to receive any complaints about aesthetics.

Whether this will have any effect on piracy of movies remains to be seen. Users are typically allowed to make one backup copy of their owned media strictly for personal use, so there is a somewhat questionable legal use of the software. For skeptics of the validity of the software given that very little is known about Arusoft, five free licenses will be given away to people that can prove they own the required hardware.

Permalink to story.

Finally! UHD Blu-rays are currently some of the highest quality (image and sound wise) media for 4k content. It'll be nice to be able to save my UHD Blu-rays to play back on my 4k HDR capable phone (at last).

There's actually no evidence that they cracked AACS.... many people argue that they've actually exploited Intel's playback code (pirates apparently were releasing some UHD movies by cracking that over PowerDVD). This would explain why only a few drives and movies can actually be cracked.... If they had actually cracked AACS, any movie should be rippable on any drive.

Eventually, if AACS IS cracked, we should see a white paper...

4k blue rays are too fragile to NOT make copies of them. One scratch and you can destroy an entire disk. The other side to this is that someone who really wants to back up their disks really has to invest in storage hardware. With some being upwards of 100GB, you will need A LOT of harddrives. On top of that, you'll want to have raid storage on top of that.

I still think it's impractical to pirate 4k blue rays. 100GB is still too large unless you have an amazing connection and that's only if the swarm can provide that kind of bandwidth.

The other side to this is that someone who really wants to back up their disks really has to invest in storage hardware. With some being upwards of 100GB, you will need A LOT of harddrives. On top of that, you'll want to have raid storage on top of that.

I still think it's impractical to pirate 4k blue rays. 100GB is still too large unless you have an amazing connection and that's only if the swarm can provide that kind of bandwidth.
Only if you want to back them up in absolute quality, If you transcode them using H.264 (or H.265 if you want even more space saved) with reasonable quality settings, Usually they're around half the size or even less. Plus getting rid of all the extras, menu's and adverts saves a bit as well. Using H.265, I've seen 2 hour 4k videos with surround sound intact at 20GB that looked amazing still. I still need to test with some HDR content though.

Only if you want to back them up in absolute quality, If you transcode them using H.264 (or H.265 if you want even more space saved) with reasonable quality settings, Usually they're around half the size or even less. Plus getting rid of all the extras, menu's and adverts saves a bit as well. Using H.265, I've seen 2 hour 4k videos with surround sound intact at 20GB that looked amazing still. I still need to test with some HDR content though.
Seems kind of silly to invest in UHD just to convert them to lower quality backups... why not just get it on regular blu-ray or even DVD?

Seems kind of silly to invest in UHD just to convert them to lower quality backups... why not just get it on regular blu-ray or even DVD?
Because it will still be quite a bit higher in quality than normal HD Blu-ray? You can rip normal HD Blu-ray to under 10GB and it still look and sound nearly identical to the original. On top of this, The first person is up who's been using the software [link] After being ripped, it's around 54GB for the movie he ripped, obviously will be a bit more or less depending on movie length and complexity.

Point being, UHD isn't 100+GB, it's more 50GB~

There's actually no evidence that they cracked AACS.... many people argue that they've actually exploited Intel's playback code (pirates apparently were releasing some UHD movies by cracking that over PowerDVD). This would explain why only a few drives and movies can actually be cracked.... If they had actually cracked AACS, any movie should be rippable on any drive.

Eventually, if AACS IS cracked, we should see a white paper...
There is a thread about it over at redfox - https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/deuhd-tool-can-rip-uhd-blu-ray-discs.73671/ As of the last that I read the thread, there was a significant question as to whether or not it worked, and the UI is an obvious copy of AnyDVD HD.
4k blue rays are too fragile to NOT make copies of them. One scratch and you can destroy an entire disk. The other side to this is that someone who really wants to back up their disks really has to invest in storage hardware. With some being upwards of 100GB, you will need A LOT of harddrives. On top of that, you'll want to have raid storage on top of that.

It is in the UHD BR spec that a copy can be made. Personally, I am not there yet as I am waiting for a better choice of compatible hardware such as nVidia actually coming through on their promise of 1050 Ti or higher being compliant with the hardware security spec. I believe there are at least two UHD capable drives on the market now, I know Pioneer has one, and supposedly LG has or is releasing one, too.

IMO, it would be a wise idea that they do allow copies of UHD discs, but I would be surprised if that part of the spec is actually implemented.

EDIT - looking at the supported hardware page and their warning not to upgrade drive firmware makes it look (assuming it does actually work), to me anyway, as if they are exploiting some sort of drive firmware/hardware glitch.

Last edited:
This DRM is not fair to the person who actually paid for their discs and just wants to make 1 copy for their own use so as not to wear out the originally purchased disc or possibly for it to get damaged by a malfunctioning player. I know I once opened a player and the disc flew out while spinning, bounced off my chest, and then bounced off a few things in my home. This damaged that disc by putting scratches on the label side, rendering it useless. I used to routinely copy my music CD's so I could play them in my car without risk of damaging the original discs. I created a new build PC from the very best components, and to my surprise, the two Plextor drives models, PX-LB950SA Blue-ray and PX-L890SA DVD recorder/players will not rip my music CD's correctly. When I put the recorded copy into my car, the display just sits there up to several minutes before starting the playing of the music. I also experience if you either shut off the player and restart it, or you change tracks, the display remains with dashes on it until it starts up several minutes later. Plextor drives came with recording software called Sonic (Sonic RecordNow! v6.5 and Sonic DLA v4.5) and (InterVideo WinCinema WinDVD Creator Plus v2.0B14.125 and WinDVD Player v4.0B011.556) which I feel is about worthless. I am wondering if anyone else had had this experience. In the past years, I have had the opportunity to use Roxio Easy CD Creator, which I did not particularly like and I also used an older version I bought of NERO, which I loved and it did burn CD's without problems, but I upgraded my operating system to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and built a new PC and I no longer have my older paid for version of NERO as it seem to disappear. I do not understand what took place with this DRM and the laws associated with it since I used to be able to burn one copy of my own music CD's for my personal use. I did not expect this problem to be occurring as I purchased Plextor Drives, one of the highest quality recorders. Can someone please enlighten me on why this is happening and if a new version of NERO would allow me to burn music CD's again? Thank you.

Why are you hijacking this thread? Go ask in the forum.... although my guess would be your blank CD-Rs might be the problem - not all of them are compatible with all car stereos....

Since CD's don't exactly have the best audio quality anyways, just rip them with something like iTunes and re-create the CD's from the resulting MP3s you make...

Back