Unable to boot windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersluuk

Hello all, I have a problem booting into windows, I was playing a game when my laptop got a blue screen. I came across this site while trying to solve my problem and this seems to be the best place to ask for advice, as I obviously haven't solved my problem yet

Specs
Only ones I can remember is that I have 1024 mb ram and 2x 1.66 ghz processor
my laptop is a fujitsu siemens amilo pi 1536
i believe i had sp3 and my laptop was working fine before, no problems until this one.

Problem
I was playing Football Manager 2010 when in the middle of a match I suddenly got a blue screen. It was only visible for a split second as my laptop restarted immediately after that. While the windows loading screen came on, I got another blue screen and then it started all over again, going on and on in a loop.
After a while I was able to get a picture of the blue screen. I saw it was a 0x00000024 stop error. So I started searching the web to see what was wrong and what my possibilities would be to resolve the problem.

What I tried
I found this thread (htt p://w ww.techspot.com/vb/topic129757.html#post766270) while looking for answers.
That was the first thing I wanted to do, save my files. After a while I was (finally) able to use knoppix. It turned out that I wasn't able to access one of my hard drives.
I had tried chkdsk already so I thought that wasn't going to solve this problem. However, I tried chkdsk again, and all of a sudden I was actually able to access the drive which i previously wasn't. So I saved all the files I wanted to save, and thought I'd look further to see what my original problem could be. I found that it could have different causes e.g. an NTFS drive problem, registry problems or even a virus.
As I ran chkdsk a couple of times (and came up clean) I don't think it has anything to do with that NTFS drive.
I don't know anything about registries etc. so I haven't had the guts to try anything there. And for some reason I really don't think it is a virus,don't know why but I just have that feeling.

Other things I could mention
I believe that when I was trying some stuff out, when I got yet another blue screen, that it wasn't a 0x00000024 stop error this time but I thought I saw something like 7b at the end.(this was only once)
Also while I was playing FM, my laptop seemed to overheat or something like that, I don't know if it's somehow related just thought I'd mention it.

I really hope someone can help me out here so I can try and fix this problem myself.
Btw I apologise beforehand if my post isn't clear to anyone, but just ask and I will try to explain myself better.

TIA

In order to troubleshoot bluescreen you need to turn off "Automatically Restart" so you can read it in it's entireity. Right mouse on My computer and select Properties\Advanced\Startup and Recovery and uncheck the box: "Automatically Restart".
the other thing about Bluescreens is that you must Power Off for a few minutes before restarting or it will give you the same bluescreen.
Laptops are notorious for overheating, you may want to checkout Notebook Coolers. I got one for my wife as she was experiencing a lot of bluescreens. It did not eliminate bluescreens completely but reduced them to one a week or less, rather than two or three a day.

And then you may want to take the full bluescreen info to the BSOD forum here at Techspot for bluescreens and not this one.

First off I want to say that I am unable to boot into windows so I am not even able to turn off "Automatically restart". I already knew that, but thanks anyway for the advice.
Secondly, I have frequently "Powered Off" for a period of time but still I get that same 24 stop error.
I would also like to say that I have not experienced heating problems earlier so I really can't tell if this is the problem.
No frequent blue screens either before this happened, maybe once or twice over a span of 3 years.
And last, should I still place this thread somewhere else?
Thanks for your quick response btw..

First off I want to say that I am unable to boot into windows so I am not even able to turn off "Automatically restart". I already knew that, but thanks anyway for the advice.
Secondly, I have frequently "Powered Off" for a period of time but still I get that same 24 stop error.
I would also like to say that I have not experienced heating problems earlier so I really can't tell if this is the problem.
No frequent blue screens either before this happened, maybe once or twice over a span of 3 years.
And last, should I still place this thread somewhere else?
Thanks for your quick response btw..

My wifes problems started when the fan started dying. It got so hot the cemnt holding the heatsink on crumbled. So if your notebook is a few years old, the fan might be suspect.
Can you get into safe mode by pressing F8 at boot to uncheck that box?

You need a full description to post in the forum at the top: https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu46.html

Hi,

I suggest you try these two items before continuing:

1) During system startup after BIOS check hit F8 to display the troubleshooting menu. Using the arrow keys on the keyboard manually select "Disable automatic system restart" hit enter. Now restart the computer normally and take note of the blue screen.

2) Atfer taking note of the blue screen restart the computer and repeat your steps however this time start your computer in safe mode. If there is a blue screen again take note of it as it might be different then the original blue screen.

Please post your results and will take it from there.

My wifes problems started when the fan started dying. It got so hot the cemnt holding the heatsink on crumbled. So if your notebook is a few years old, the fan might be suspect.
Can you get into safe mode by pressing F8 at boot to uncheck that box?

You need a full description to post in the forum at the top: htt p://w ww.techspot.com/vb/menu46.html

no i cant get into safemode.
what do you mean by a full description?
of the stop message?

Hi,

I suggest you try these two items before continuing:

1) During system startup after BIOS check hit F8 to display the troubleshooting menu. Using the arrow keys on the keyboard manually select "Disable automatic system restart" hit enter. Now restart the computer normally and take note of the blue screen.

2) Atfer taking note of the blue screen restart the computer and repeat your steps however this time start your computer in safe mode. If there is a blue screen again take note of it as it might be different then the original blue screen.

Please post your results and will take it from there.

I tried this and it helped me a little bit.
I was able to manually select "Disable automatic system restart". I took note of the blue screen. It was a 24 stop.
After I did this I tried to start my laptop in safe mode repeating the earlier steps.
However this was not possible, as I got a blue screen again for a split second, and the laptop restarted again, starting the loop yet again

Sorry Peter maybe I was not clear, before starting in safe mode disable system restart again and then attaempt to load safe mode.

The purpose of this test is to make sure you are getting the same stop error in safe and in normal mode.

It happens often that the stop error message loading in normal mode is not the real error code, I prefer to base myself on the stop code when trying to boot in safe mode.

Let us know thx.

hey kevork apologies as i forgot to mention something
i disabled the auto restart, got a blue screen which stayed there.
that was the 24 stop error
i then restarted, but when i hit f8 and choose to disable auto restart, i am not able to choose safe mode anymore, it only gives me one option then, which is to start windows xp home.
so i thought that wasn't right, went back to troubleshoot window(by pushing f8 again), chose safe mode, and got a blue screen, which did not stay.(e.g. got the restart thing again)
the blue screen in safe mode had the 7b at the end.
i hope i've made myself clear.
name is luuk btw (dutch)
or lukas or whatever, peters is my last name ;)

Hi Liuuk,

Well we have narrowed down the problem. In most cases a stop error 7B is an inaccessible boot device. Stop error 24 implicates NTFS.SYS corruption.

So in reality this is whats happening when you try to boot in normal mode your PC cannot find teh necessary file system to load the OS properly. In Safe Mode wich is dumbed down it clearly realises that the drive itself is not accessible correctly.

Based on your original post I'm guessing the following;

1) Some areas of your drive are very dirty and unreadable, so when you game was writing to disk propably caching temp files it wrote to an area that it can no longer access causing a system bluescreen. However it damaged the partition table in consequence.
2) Your drive can be defective.

I would attempt the following tests in this order:

1) Identify the HardDrive manufacturer (WD, Maxtor, Seagate etc...) We will download there test tool and verify that the drive itself is fine before we start playing around with the harddrive file system.

2) We will use partition wizard to try to recover and rebuild the parition table.

Before I elaborate on step 2 lets do step 1.

i believe i have an hd from fujitsu siemens, 80GB - 2.5 inch IDE 5400rpm
i dont really know where to find this actually, but i reckon it's this one.
could that be right?

Hi Luuk,

If in fact its a fujitsu drive you would need to download:

DOS Diagnostic Tool Ver. 7.0 (For IDE/ATA/SATA Hard Drives)

The download is from:
http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrives/SoftwareUtilities

Run a quick test, if it passes attempt a comprehensive test.

If the comprehensive test passes post a message and I will send you the instructiosn to recover/repair the partition.

If it fails.... Well I guess you know the rest of the story :(

i am not able to do anything with that.
it says in the readme, when in dos i should go to the drive/directory where the exe is located.
so i go there, and then in the readme it says i should type something like:
Syntax:
A>FJDT
but that is an illegal command or whatever they call it.
anyway i don't really understand what to do here..

btw i can't access any of the directories of the drive on which i put fjdt(through recovery disk)
is there anything i can do about that?

Sorry for the delay, I have been swamped at work. I would have loved to do a HD Check but it will be complicated without a floppy. In which case lets skip and go straigh to partition wizard:

Download bootable cd version:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

You are going to need a empty CD and a burnign Software.

When you a bootable CD ready, insert disc and start from it. Partition wizard will load. In theory it should detect your drive. Under the menu file looks for parttition recovery.

If your drive is not defective it will hopefully recover your partition.

no worries mate i appreciate you helping me out.
so i tried partition recovery, everything went fine, i see my 2 partitions, 1 has status "existing" and the one that's not working has status "lost/deleted".
i tried a quick scan and an advanced scan but i don't see any results or anything.
I'm not sure what I should see here or what I should do next..

waiting patiently :p

TIA

Ok after advanced scan choose the correct partition that you have lost. An if i remember correctly on the left side you should have apply. Which would start the recovery process.

at the final screen of the scan it tells me to choose the searched deleted/lost partitions.
so i selected the one i searched and clicked finish, but it tells me that at least one of the existing partitions will be deleted.
i thought i didn't want that, selected both and clicked finish.(nothing happened)
however, when i do that, i am not able to click apply(it's greyed out)
now i don't really understand what to do here.
which partition do i have to select? will the one i select be deleted or will the other one be deleted?
i mean can you try and explain exactly what to do here, because i don't want to do anything wrong

Here is whats happening picture this:

1 pizza of 6 slices. The pizza itself is the hardrive the combinations of slices are the partition(s).

For example if you choose to eat slices 1 to 3 1/2. That would be one partion. But assume your friend wants to eat slice 3 to 6. Now we have a conflict as 1/2 of slice 3 is allocated to you.

That is why partition wizard cannot recover both partitions. because both partitions are partially using a portion of the same drive in the same area.

Usually the lost deleted partition is the correct partition to choose. But I cannot make that decision for you as I do not want to be liable of your data. The correct logic to this is the following:

Try to remember the size of the drive in My Computer and match the size of the drive to the correct partition.

I beleive you should select the lost/deleted partition and let partition wizard follow through. But again my opinion. Keep in mind that you can lose your data.

seems i have some sort of problem with the partition wizard.
after running either scan (quick or advanced) i click finish on the last screen.
by watching some videos on the site of partition wizard i figured out that after you click that finish button,when you go back to the original screen, it should have 1 pending operation (or something) on the bottom left of the screen.
however, with me, that's not the case.
somehow i do not get any pending operations
any idea what this could be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back