Unable to connect to internet/network

krelos

I just had to format my hardrive and reinstall Windows XP.

Now I am trying to connect to the internet via my already establisched Cable -> Router -> PC network but no matter what I try the 'Wizard' doesn't seem to do what I need.

I obviously have a connection at the cable modem and router since I was able to use the other PC in my house to post this.

The PC I just formatted IS connected exactly the same way it was before I reinstalled XP (with a hard line directly to the router).

I am frustrated that this is so non-intuitive.

Can someone PLEASE walk me through getting the PC to be able to connect to the internet again.

Is the network driver installed for your network card?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by network card.

As far as I know there is no 'network card' ... the line is connected directly through my motherboard.

Okay, network adapter. Do you see the icon for the network connection down in the system tray? If you go into My Computer > Manage > Device manager, do you see the network card or is there a yellow icon next to network adapter (or something similar)

Okay, network adapter. Do you see the icon for the network connection down in the system tray? If you go into My Computer > Manage > Device manager, do you see the network card or is there a yellow icon next to network adapter (or something similar)

Only icon in the tray is the 'keys' to register windows or whatever ...

Under device manager there is a network adapter icon (1394 network adapter) and there are also SEVERAL yellow icons (which I assume are uninstalled hardware since Ive not had the chance to install much of anything since I cannot access the internet and still trying to get everything set up)

Thank you very much for helping me with this by the way.

1394 is for Firewire ONLY, not internet.

Solve the YELLOW flags under Network Adapters.

One way is to uninstall those with YELLOW or Red and then reboot to allow Windows to
find and reinstall the correct drivers (ps: disconnection any ethernet connection and be sure your WiFi device is on)

1394 is for Firewire ONLY, not internet.

Solve the YELLOW flags under Network Adapters.

One way is to uninstall those with YELLOW or Red and then reboot to allow Windows to
find and reinstall the correct drivers (ps: disconnection any ethernet connection and be sure your WiFi device is on)

The yellow flags are not under Network Adapters though.
But Ill try to uninstall the yellow flags and restart and see if that helps.

Thank you for helping. I will reply again as soon as Ive done the restart.

The yellow flags are not under Network Adapters though.
But Ill try to uninstall the yellow flags and restart and see if that helps.

Thank you for helping. I will reply again as soon as Ive done the restart.

Ok .. so I uninstalled the yellow flagged items and restarted the PC.

Problem is .. the computer finds the new hardware but us unable to install them because it can't find the internet connection to install the drivers etc.

EDIT ...
Still unable to connect to the internet ...
Through wizard I tried ... connect to internet ... manually ... use broadband connection that is always open

For your future information, if you format the drive, always install your motherboard drivers first, either from the manufacturers site which will ensure you have the latest ones, but do NOT flash the bios.
OR failing that from your motherboard CD.
Then install Windows.

Back