Unable to do a clean XP install due to no hard drive detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernmonkeyz

Hi,
I am really getting stressed with trying to do a clean install of XP over my existing cluttered XP with a nice virus on it.
I have had it for about 10 years and it’s in dire need of a good scrubbing.

My problem is that when I try and complete the install from the XP cd its states that it is unable to find/locate my hard drive.
From what I have read up on, I need to create a floppy in order to complete this as I am unable to change from Sata to IDE in my Phoenix bios as the setting is not there.
I really have no clue how to do this or where to get the drivers from or even what I am looking for.

My system is -

Bios Type – Award
Award Bios Type – Phoenix Award Bios V6.00PG
Motherboard ID – 11/07/2002 Nvidia – Nforce 6A6 IBM4CC-00
Motherboard Name – MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR (MS-6570G)
Motherboard Chipset – Nforce 2-SPP
Extra Features – Sata Raid
1.5gb Ram
2.8 Athlon AMD

Can anyone tell me how to do this as I have worked on it for ages now and I am totally stuck!

Thanks in advance,
Alan

I have come across these -

MSI K7N2 SATA driver
Description for MSI K7N2 SATA driver:
nVidia nForce2 SATA RAID Driver (For floppy driver)

Is this what I need?
If so do I copy to the floppy and boot from XP and when asked press F6 and insert floppy?
Thanks,
Alan

XP does not have SATA drivers built in. You will need to install your sata drivers from a floppy when prompted (F6).

If so do I copy to the floppy and boot from XP and when asked press F6 and insert floppy?
Basically, yes. When you press F6, you will receive a prompt after a few seconds, not immediately. Just wait for it and follow instructions.

Edit: Tedster posted while I dithered.
Are the ones I need the ones I put in my second post?
It appears to be. It took a few minutes but I found it myself on the MSI website. The downloaded zip file was called: nVidia_nForce2xx_SATARAID_Floppy.zip

When you copy the files to the floppy, just copy the files straight to it. Don't copy the folder with the files under it, just the files only.

Basically, yes. When you press F6, you will receive a prompt after a few seconds, not immediately. Just wait for it and follow instructions.

Edit: Tedster posted while I dithered.
It appears to be. It took a few minutes but I found it myself on the MSI website. The downloaded zip file was called: nVidia_nForce2xx_SATARAID_Floppy.zip

When you copy the files to the floppy, just copy the files straight to it. Don't copy the folder with the files under it, just the files only.

Thanks for the help.
I tried it but it didnt work.
In Bios I am set to boot from cd (should second device be floppy?) then when it asks me to F6 I then press F6 and insert the floppy....it still says no hard drive detected.

Maybe the drivers I have are wrong?
Any idea?

After pressing F6, shortly afterward you press "S" and then (with the floppy inserted) the SATA/RAID driver choices appear, correct? How many driver options do you have? If you see two, try highlighting one and then scroll up or down to see if there are any others. Sometimes people don't realize there are more drivers than what they first see.

If that doesn't help, maybe the drivers are wrong.

It doesn't really matter what the second device is for this to work.

After pressing F6, shortly afterward you press "S" and then (with the floppy inserted) the SATA/RAID driver choices appear, correct? How many driver options do you have? If you see two, try highlighting one and then scroll up or down to see if there are any others. Sometimes people don't realize there are more drivers than what they first see.

If that doesn't help, maybe the drivers are wrong.

It doesn't really matter what the second device is for this to work.

Thanks for your response and happy new year!!!

I have done this and its not working...........I have no idea what to do!
Basically I just want to format and start again.....would using a copy of windows 7 be any easier?

Hello NM;

I remember you can select 'IDE Emulation' mode for SATA drives on some motherboards; via BIOS. You can try to see if thats available on your system board's BIOS ......

Hello NM;

I remember you can select 'IDE Emulation' mode for SATA drives on some motherboards; via BIOS. You can try to see if thats available on your system board's BIOS ......

Its not showing in my bios!!!
I am getting really fed up now!
Formatting is not great as it is without being unable to doit!

I kind of wish you would answer the questions that I ask. It might help. How many drivers were listed after pressing "S"?

Did you try to scroll up or down the list? If there are more choices, you have to look for them. I've made the same mistake until I realized there are sometimes more drivers than the first two listed.

You could have the wrong drivers but sometimes, for some reason, the SATA drivers for the floppy don't seem to work. There is another thing you can try and that is creating a slipstream CD. Google for the procedure. It combines the Windows CD with the appropriate SATA/RAID controller drivers inserted in the right folders so when you use it to install Windows, you don't have to use the F6 procedure since the SATA drivers are now present.

You could have the wrong drivers but sometimes, for some reason, the SATA drivers for the floppy don't seem to work. There is another thing you can try and that is creating a slipstream CD. Google for the procedure. It combines the Windows CD with the appropriate SATA/RAID controller drivers inserted in the right folders so when you use it to install Windows, you don't have to use the F6 procedure since the SATA drivers are now present.

Hey thanks for your suggestions.....I think thats the way to go.
I will give it a blast later..I have a copy of Windows 7 that I can use.
Do you think trying with Windows 7 will bring up the same problems?

Maybe but you could try it. Make sure to check the drivers so they are compatible with Windows 7.

Maybe but you could try it. Make sure to check the drivers so they are compatible with Windows 7.

Hi again.
I managed to update my BIOS and my MOBO drivers but its still not happy!
I even installed the latest SATA/RAID drivers which I was sure would solve it and nothing changed!
I feel like smashing it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back