Unable to mount location - 1TB WD External drive / Windows and Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffykitten

I have been using my WD External drive/mybook as they call it with Ubuntu, until now recently connected it to my laptop running windows vista, I know it sucks but I just got this laptop and using it instead of my tower to save power and just run the laptop 24x7 pretty much and the tower when I need it and during the day I keep it on but anyway's. I copied a lot of files over to the external drive, disconnected it and pluged it back over to my laptop running windows and none of the files were shown, the files I just copied but the other stuff is still on it.

I get this message when reconnecting it to Ubuntu when trying to use it.

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: $MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0).
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

Have I damaged the drive, I hope not and hope to fix this problem to run on both OS.

From your post above, you do have Windows though?

I would recommend you fix the error by doing the above in windows in the first instance.

Linux will happily read NTFS discs, so I'd imagine the problem is down to the disc being busy when you removed it from your windows OS. Chkdsk will hopefully sort the issue.

ntfsfix and ntfs-3g

I found a fix on ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=656025 that worked for me (Ubuntu 10.10 + external WD MyBook). Use ntfsfix and ntfs-3g as the post describes. Helped me. HTH.

yes ntfs-3g is a package that can be added to Linux and Mac OS distros when needed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back