Under attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

HijoDeDios

My computer has been under attack lately...changed desktop, disabled menus, hidden settings...last night my internet fell under fire. Firefox will pull up, works very slowly, google search will give results but clicking them will redirect to windowsoneclick sites. Internet explorer terminates if I try to type anything into it. Antivirus programs crash and some things like system restore will not function, after researching learned that if I alter the names of the blocked exes they will work, including firefox (foxfire for now). I attached my logs from the 8 step process....first time here so your help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    12.3 KB · Views: 5
You were loaded, still more.

Another run indicated!
OK there were found/removed items in both MBAM and SAS so we need to run again as the first run likely exposed things that were not even seen the first time. So another run Quick Scan will likely find more. So UPDATE and run MBAM and SAS again.

Post new logs!

Mike

BIG TROUBLE!! Thanks for the quick response and help, I went and ran the two programs again, MBAM caught 9 more, after finishing SAS caught 1 and removed then said it had to restart, upon restart windows will not boot, says "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file" I think I might be defeated and have to wipe my HD, is there any hope???

Yes there is hope.

Do you have the XP Cd and Key code?

If so what is the SP level SP1 SP2 SP3 and what SP level did you have on the HD?

Do nothing without my guidance if you have valuable data like emails, photos etc.

Let me know about the CD!

Mike

I have been searching feverishly for the cd, found the box for computer...only manuals there, it was sp2 i'm 90% sure, I really don't wanna lose my data, valuable school assignments, photos etc

OK just don't do anything drastic. We can get the data even if we end up formatting which we should not.

But we will need the CD even to do that.

If you can not find it borrow one from a friend to do this. If you do borrow one, later you will need to call Microsoft and explain to them hopefully you can find the Key and they will reactivate for free.

Mike

I still can't find the windows cd and am currently asking friends, just out of curiosity would anything be able to be accomplished with a BartPE disc? Or with the boot disks that are available from microsoft.com? I also just looked at bottom of my notebook and I have the windows product key and it is Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Yeah you need an XP CD.

Now if you can get one and build the UBCD4Win http://ubcd4win.com/ then we would have all we need.

So if you can borrow an XP CD then build a UBCD4Win and it will be easy to fix. I have used UBCD4Win for years and am very familiar with it.

Mike

Ok my parents have the XP recovery cd for MCE 2005 and they are mailing it to me, should be here tuesday or so, so I should then go to that site and follow the instructions to make a UBCD4Win once I get the cd?

Yes!

Mike

OK here you go I must have been tired yesterday.

If you installed the recovery console when you ran ComboFix then boot to it and skip down to At the prompt and continue from there down.

If you did not install the recovery console then do the below to get it!
On another computer..

Download RC.ISO (Bootable Recovery Consle) from Here:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com...

Now burn this ISO image to a CD
Once the CD is created, place it in the problem computer

Then reboot that CD in the CD-ROM drive.
Make sure the PC is set to boot from the CD as the primary boot device.

When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console.

You will be asked to log in.

At the prompt
type
bootcfg /rebuild
Hit the Enter key
then
type
exit

This will reboot the computer hopefully into windows if not there can be other steps.

Mike

Sorry for the delay I was out of town for an interview, back now, I'm going to try your latest suggestion first and keep you updated...I tried to boot from XP CD and it failed, just rebooted before anything loaded, and I am not finding the ISO on that site, so I am reverting to making a UBCD...what should I do next?

Forget the UBCD for now, if you can not boot from the windows CD then you can't boot from any other CD!

Boot from the CD again and watch closely in upper left corner for "Hit any key to boot from CD" if you see it hit Enter before it proceeds on to windows.

Or!

Also on the black reboot screen may have F12 for Boot Options if so hit that and choose the CD to boot from.

Mike

yeah, it loads the cd up, and then i press R for recovery options and i pick to load recovery partition and if there isn't one to load from cd, then it loads something and then it gets to this part where it looks like the recovery console will load and then it restarts

it is an emachines boot cd, so I thought maybe that may have something to do with it, that's why i figured making one of these boot cds using the files from the cd may solve the problem?

It don't matter if it is a bootable CD, you can't boot from any botable CD until you figure out how to boot from a bootable CD. read my last post!

Does the Emachine CD say it is bootable?

Mike

It is booting from the CD, I already went in and set the boot order so my optical drive is at top, it says emachines system recovery press R for System Recovery options, you will boot into the recovery partition or on CD if no recovery partition is found or press Q to quit and boot the OS on hard disk, so I press R...starting recovery...then preparing emachines system recovery options...loads this....then PC Angel System Recovery comes up and loads...then a mouse comes up and it is loading and a red error box comes up saying the process failed and it restarts

Can you do this?

Download RC.ISO (Bootable Recovery Consle) from Here:

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/xp-pro-repair-feature-on-media-cent/160357.html

Now burn this ISO image to a CD
Once the CD is created, place it in the problem computer

Then reboot that CD in the CD-ROM drive.
Make sure the PC is set to boot from the CD as the primary boot device.

When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console.

You will be asked to log in.

At the prompt
type

bootcfg /rebuild

Then type exit to reboot
Hit the Enter key
then
type
exit

This will reboot the computer hopefully into windows if not there can be other steps.

Mike

Thanks, burned the iso and loaded and it goes to Intel Boot Agent FE v4.1.18, then I get
PXE-E61: Media test failure check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
Operating System not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back