University of Michigan researchers may have found a treatment for tinnitus

Polycount

Staff

If you're one of the two million Americans that suffer from some degree of tinnitus, (a constant ringing in your ears), an end may finally be in sight if the University of Michigan has anything to say about it.

Researchers from the school have reportedly developed a device aimed at tackling the root cause of tinnitus. "The brain, and specifically the region of the brainstem called the dorsal cochlear nucleus, is the root of tinnitus," said Susan Shore, university professor and leader of the research team working on the device. "When the main neurons in this region, called fusiform cells, become hyperactive and synchronize with one another, the phantom signal is transmitted into other centers where perception occurs."

According to Shore, if these signals can be stopped, tinnitus can, too. The research team's approach to treatment with the device, referred to as "targeted bimodal auditory-somatosensory stimulation," uses both weak electrical pulses and timed sounds to attempt to bring hyperactive cells back to normal activity levels.

After first testing the device on guinea pigs to ensure its safety, Shore's team moved on to human trials with 20 participants. However, the research team didn't invite just anyone to participate - instead, researchers were only looking for individuals with a very specific form of tinnitus, the kind that can be "modulated" by moving one's neck or head around.

Results of these trials have been mixed but overall positive with no observable negative impacts thus far. In two cases, patients taking part in the study found that their tinnitus disappeared entirely. Most others said the ringing sound simply became easier to ignore and live with. Following treatment, most patients rated tinnitus' impact on their quality of life rather low on a 100-point scale.

"We're definitely encouraged by these results," Shore said. "but we need to optimize the length of treatments, identify which subgroups of patients may benefit most, and determine if this approach works in patients who have nonsomatic forms of the condition that can't be modulated by neck and head maneuvers."

Permalink to story.

I wonder if this would work for me. If I tilt my head to the left the ringing goes up and pitch and if I tilt it to the right it goes down in pitch. For me, though, tinnitus has had an enormous impact on the quality of life. It is so loud that I can hear it even with fans running in the background. I always keep a pair of earbuds on my because I can't sleep in places that are quiet. I have a white noise generator app on my phone so I can fall asleep if I'm staying over a friends house.

It's actually so bad that the ambient noise I generate with fans to help me fall asleep will keep my guests up at night if I'm having people stay over. I'm not a religious man but I pray this works

I wonder if this would work for me. If I tilt my head to the left the ringing goes up and pitch and if I tilt it to the right it goes down in pitch. For me, though, tinnitus has had an enormous impact on the quality of life. It is so loud that I can hear it even with fans running in the background. I always keep a pair of earbuds on my because I can't sleep in places that are quiet. I have a white noise generator app on my phone so I can fall asleep if I'm staying over a friends house.

It's actually so bad that the ambient noise I generate with fans to help me fall asleep will keep my guests up at night if I'm having people stay over. I'm not a religious man but I pray this works

I didn't include it in the article, but I also have tinnitus. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this - at last, a treatment that might actually WORK. Had to cover it!

I too can only sleep with a lot of background noise - for me, it's a ceiling fan and a floor fan on high, otherwise the "sound of silence" (as I used to call it when I was younger) is too loud and distracting. Throughout the day, I have music playing 24/7.

If you really are able to adjust the pitch of your tinnitus, contact these guys if possible! You are apparently quite rare, only something like 10% of people with tinnitus are able to do that (I am not one of them, unfortunately).

I didn't include it in the article, but I also have tinnitus. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this - at last, a treatment that might actually WORK. Had to cover it!

I too can only sleep with a lot of background noise - for me, it's a ceiling fan and a floor fan on high, otherwise the "sound of silence" (as I used to call it when I was younger) is too loud and distracting. Throughout the day, I have music playing 24/7.

If you really are able to adjust the pitch of your tinnitus, contact these guys if possible! You are apparently quite rare, only something like 10% of people with tinnitus are able to do that (I am not one of them, unfortunately).
well something that adds to the frustration of my tinnitus is that I'm also half deaf so I need to generate a larger amount of ambient noise. I'm not always playing music but I do always have something playing in the background such as a TV show or youtube

I hate to throw some cold water on this, but I watched the video, and unfortunately, IMO, whoever extrapolated what it says in the video to being able to modulate the tinnitus by moving your head around is incorrect. The video says pushing on your cheek or forehead, and to me, that does not imply, "moving your head around," IMO. I suggest watching the video and making your own assessment, however, to me, it is suggesting that if the tinnitus can be modulated by other sensory input, such as nerves firing from physical touch to your cheek or forehead, then you may have the type that is treatable by this method. To me, moving your head around is far different from touching your cheek or forehead.

That said, I seem to have a very mild type that does not affect my quality of life. However, if it did, I would not want to continuously wear a device around to treat the tinnitus. I am not sure I would even if it did affect my quality of life. Unfortunately, there is no indication in this as to whether or not this is a one-time treatment or must be continually applied.

Last edited:

When I read the headline I literally threw my hands up in the air with joy. Everyone in my department looked at me like I was crazy person, but they have no idea how much tinnitus can affect your life. I've only been dealing with it for about 2 months now since an incident with an "experienced hunter" firing a gun far too close to me without any protection in my ears.

I too am able to adjust the pitch and can basically get the noise to go away completely, but that position is far from comfortable. I just deal with it by listening to music non stop and at home I just use ambient sound machines. Sadly its been really hard for my GF to handle as I have to turn the volume up quite a bit to fall asleep at night :-/

Last edited:
I think the writer got confused about the number of tinnitus sufferers: its more like 45 million Americans. About 13 million claim to have moderate-to-severe levels. Perhaps the two million number applies to this particular *form* of the affliction.

I think the writer got confused about the number of tinnitus sufferers: its more like 45 million Americans. About 13 million claim to have moderate-to-severe levels. Perhaps the two million number applies to this particular *form* of the affliction.

Oops! You're quite right. I'll get the first paragraph amended - it is, indeed, only very severe cases of tinnitus that fit the 2 million figure.

When I read the headline I literally threw my hands up in the air with joy. Everyone in my department looked at me like I was crazy person, but they have no idea how much tinnitus can affect your life. I've only been dealing with it for about 2 months now since an incident with an "experienced hunter" firing a gun far too close to me without any protection in my ears.

I too am able to adjust the pitch and can basically get the noise to go away completely, but that position is far from comfortable. I just deal with it by listening to music non stop and at home I just use ambient sound machines. Sadly its been really hard for my GF to hand as I have to turn the volume up quite a bit to fall asleep at night :-/

Sorry to hear that! That does sound pretty bad. The best advice I can give you (As somebody who has lived with it for a while now) is to keep earbuds in often, and play some soft music. Of course, it depends on how severe yours is, but it can't hurt.

Here's the link to the study results if you want to check it out for yourself: http://ns.umich.edu/new/multimedia/...ptoms-in-test-aimed-at-condition-s-root-cause

I've been dealing with this for at least two decades. It's irksome to say the least being a violinist and loving classical music where the volume is quite distracting. At least I don't have to resort to white noise to sleep.

I've been dealing with this for at least two decades. It's irksome to say the least being a violinist and loving classical music where the volume is quite distracting. At least I don't have to resort to white noise to sleep.
Just curious, have you found that it's gotten worse over time, or has it pretty much stayed the same?

Just curious, have you found that it's gotten worse over time, or has it pretty much stayed the same?
After so many years, I really can't say. There are days which are worse than others however.

Without my white noise maker sleeping is far less likely to happen, if this pans out, sign me up.

I would hope that this is real. I've been looking for relief for my tinnitus for years. Mine is not the type that modulates with head motion or pressure points. Most of the time it's several solid tones at the same time, only on occasion does it reduce to a single tone. I have learned over the years to ignore it most of the time, but it makes conversations very difficult and, being a musician extremely hard to work with the quieter parts of some music.

I have endured loud ringing in my ears for at least the last 40 year and have tried everything available to ease the noise. I believe this will only stop at the moment of death. There are snake oils and charms but no relief in sight.

My tinnitus was caused from US Navy ships during the 60s and 70s when firing their big guns was done without any ear protection whatsoever unless you consider cotton balls sufficient. I'd give almost anything for one moment of silence.

Once again, going after the symptoms. Let's chase down the cause. Like EMF pollution.

I have endured loud ringing in my ears for at least the last 40 year and have tried everything available to ease the noise. I believe this will only stop at the moment of death. There are snake oils and charms but no relief in sight.

My tinnitus was caused from US Navy ships during the 60s and 70s when firing their big guns was done without any ear protection whatsoever unless you consider cotton balls sufficient. I'd give almost anything for one moment of silence.
nestorius, I never connected that. Our ship, a sub tender, just had a pair of the 50mm "pom-pom" guns and when we went out they were lucky to get a dozen rounds off before they jammed.

I know I've had it since my Navy days at least. I can change the pitch and volume by moving my lower jaw forward or two the sides. Forward, the volume goes up about 10 times for a second or so and then ramps back down in @ 5 seconds. To the side, it about doubles in volume. But, it is repeatable. And something I have just learned to live with (and try to ignore).

Once again, going after the symptoms. Let's chase down the cause. Like EMF pollution.
The cause is precisely what they aim to target - hyperactive cells. By bringing the cells activity back to a normal level, they hope to stop tinnitus.

There's very little money to be made if they actually fix the causes of all the symptoms we all have--Big Pharma might have to be called little pharma. But, then we might be able to call it Good Pharma.

I'm wondering how the results of this research compare to the results of the research done at Washington University in St. louis, Mo.

Tinitis seems to be a mechanical stress, possibly a bone in the middle ear, and nerves sense the continuous distortion and send a continuous electrical signal to the brain. I am able to play a "tune" that raises and lowers the volume and - possibly pitch - by distorting my internal ears with various very wide openings of my mouth. This stress theory fits in with other reports that tilting the head one way or another causes variations in loudness. The University study may have been locating the area of the brain that receives the electric signals. The fix may be to determine what is causing the area of the ear to be stressed and relieve it.

I am thrilled at the news that a break through has been achieved in understanding the underlying facts about tinnitus. I am suffering from tinnitus for more than 32 years and now I am 73 years old. I lived alright but the quality of life has been compromised. I feel I know precisely how it happened in my case but every time I go to a consultant he would first attribute to my ear and advise me to get a audiometry report only to find that there is nothing wrong. I firmly believe that a bunch of neurons in my left audio sensory part of the brain have died due to starvation of blood following a concussion. this has created an imbalance to the otherwise equilibrium state. I mean it is akin to an amplifier responding to an audio input from the mike. of late my problem has aggravated. I would be eagerly looking for a definite treatment. I may say that the cure lies in precisely locating the orphaned neurons and carefully eliminating them even if it means upsetting the hearing capacity of the individual to some extent. with regards. Subba rao India

Back