Unpinning from the Win7 TaskBar

Sebastian42

I edited the Internet Explorer 'icon' pinned to the TaskBar, so that I could change its target to some other program which lacks a 'pin to the TaskBar option'. That succeeded. I can now launch the other program from the 'converted' I.E. icon. However, something went wrong, in that the icon remnant still has the name Internet Explorer attached to it, and lacks a Context Menu through whose Properties I might set things right, including changing the image (and name) of the icon. I want to either be rid of it and start again; or fix it up. Any ideas ?

The scenario has changed.

Unbeknowns to me, the unwanted icon disappeared when the PC shut down i.e. it was not there on reboot, so my original question needs no answer. It may be relevant here to say that the program that I want to pin to the TaskBar is a DOS program. Its context menu DOES have a 'pin to TaskBar' option; but when I click that, I see nothing new in the TaskBar. Also, dragging the program to the TaskBar triggers a 'square balloon' that says 'Pin to TaskBar', but the TaskBar does NOT look more populated afterwards. It is obviously a DOS Program issue, and I'd love an answer to the new question. How to make the icon for a DOS program visible when it's pinned to the TaskBar ?

Back