Up to date display driver stops working

I cannot quite pin-point when this problem started but my screen keeps blacking out for a few seconds at a time (randomly) and then recovers displaying the message that the display driver (nvlddmkm) stopped working and has recovered.

This always causes Windows Media Player to crash (I often have a DVD playing on my monitor).

I have followed advice such as updating drivers etc. but the Nvidia site says my drivers are as up to date as possible. I've also tried turning the Aero theme off and reducing the number of flashy Windows animations but to no avail.

I have also found that recently, games which previously ran perfectly fine (e.g. Dragon Age) no longer work and crash within a minute of gameplay.

Let me know what other details you need.

Thanks!

My first though is that the graphics driver or the graphics card are defective. Try uninstalling the graphics card in Device Manager and reinstall a fresh driver from Nvidia.

If this is a desktop PC, do you have onboard graphics or a card fitted. If you have a card and onboard grahics, run it from the onboard graphics with the card removed.

This might be a memory fault, if you have more than one memory stick run the PC with only one installed and then if crashes continue swap the sticks to test performance with each stick.

You could also try a scan with Malwarebytes just to check if you have any infections. Download the free version from here, install it and let it update before running a full system scan.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Back