Upcoming Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti could "easily" match the RTX 3090 Ti

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Nvidia's RTX 4000 series is getting closer by the day, which means the internet is filled with leaks, rumors, and pure speculation. The latest set of alleged specs to arrive relate to the RTX 4070 Ti, a card that will apparently be so powerful that it "can easily match the RTX 3090 Ti."

The latest Ada Lovelace leak comes from a familiar source: prolific Twitter leaker Kopite7kimi. They claim the RTX 4070 Ti will pack a full-fat AD104 GPU and be so powerful that it can trade blows with the current Ampere flagship, the RTX 3090 Ti.

That AD104 GPU, built on the TSMC N4 process node, is said to feature 7,680 CUDA cores or 60 SM units, 30 billion transistors, and up to 160 ROPs. We also expect the RTX 4070 Ti to pack 48 MB of L2 cache and 12GB of GDDR6X memory at 21 Gbps on a 192-bit bus, giving it a maximum 504 GB/s bandwidth.

As we've seen with virtually every Lovelace leak, the RTX 4070 Ti is also a power-hungry card. Its reported 400W TDP isn't far from the RTX 3090 Ti's 450W TDP.

Compared to the RTX 3090 Ti, which is built on Samsung's 8nm process, the RTX 4070 Ti has the advantage of 1.7 billion extra transistors and a more modern process node, while the Ampere card is ahead in terms of CUDA cores (10,752), GDDR6X memory (24GB, also at 21Gbps), and memory bus (384-bit).

Not only could the RTX 4070 Ti match the RTX 3090 Ti in terms of performance, but it should also be a lot cheaper than the current-gen card, which Nvidia recently reduced from its $1,999 MSRP to $1,599.

Of course, all new generations of GPUs offer improved performance over their predecessors, but the rumors and leaks surrounding Lovelace suggest this leap could be a big one. In addition to the latest claims of a mid-range product being able to match a current-gen flagship, we recently heard that the RTX 4090 could be twice as fast as the RTX 3090 and 66% faster than the RTX 3090 Ti. But with the average selling price of the RTX 3000-series falling, the decision of whether to buy an Ampere card now or wait until Lovelace drops isn't an easy one.

Permalink to story.

RTX 4070Ti could easy make your room get 10 degrees Celsius more in 1 hour gaming during the winter.
I struggle to keep a 2060 under 60 Celsius with downvolt and power limit to 125W. Otherwise I need AC on to keep room at 24-26 Celsius.
So nVidia GFY with the new cards. No chance at current energy prices, and predicted TDP for me to buy another card that soon.

Still not a fan of these rumored powerloads... but if a 4060 can give me something like 3080 performance for half the price of one, then I'd be hard pressed to not get one and probably undervolt a little.

A good bump in performance is to be expected, but I won’t bother with all these rumours, particularly when the test is using 3D Mark. This is probably one of the least credible benchmark result I can think of. The benchmark magnifies differences in things like CPU and even memory speed, thus, skewing the results.

And just like that, and as usual, the coal /oil industry shills are in this discussion!!

Pollution and lung disease are good.

And remember kids: Big Coal and Oil love you and will pay for your medical bills!

Performance is king.
Always will be.
Radeon GPUs will use more power too.

I just want a ~150fps avg @ 1440p GPU for a good price.

a good psu is more like 90% if you are on the sweet spot
Unfortunately, with the power draws listed, you would need a PSU of approximately 1200 watts to be on the "sweet spot", which is going to occur at about 800 or 900 watts.

This video from "GamersNexus" explains "transient spikes". Even though I don't game, I still found it interesting

Last edited:
"Upcoming Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti could "easily" match the RTX 3090 Ti"

And it could use as many energy and TDP.

So if you put an 3090 Ti on a smaller node and do some little optimizations, you can call it 4070 Ti. Then you pick a as big die as from the 3090 Ti but made on a smaller node (= more processing units) and make it use more energy/dissipation and you get a 4090...

What I would like to see is a 4070 Ti, cooler Temps, much less energy spent and as fast as the 3090 Ti. But that is not what we are getting, is it?

It's funny how many GND liberals hate them some Chevron but stay silent about these inefficient toys.
What does Chervron have to do with video cards? You "conservatives" must always drag every topic into politics, eh? You'll never be satisfied until every last drop of oil and natural resources are siphoned out of the earth all the while pointing fingers at liberals.

"Could", "Might",..... sigh. Pure marketing hype BS. Just the thing needed for those who rush in to "pre-purchase" or buy on day 1 as usual.

Back